Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The "Kid Line" in New York- Here... we.... go!!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default The "Kid Line" in New York- Here... we.... go!!

So let's clear up some fallacies about the kid line in New York going into next season. Its funny the way trends go in fantasy hockey- but in recent years it's just become all to predictable to me- poolies want points and thats the bottom line lol! While its all well and good to say we can use contextual data as a predictor for said points all to often we seem to just lazily rewrite the context to align with whose scoring what amount. Nowhere is that more blatantly obvious to me than NY. So let's take a look...

- Lafreniere and Kakko are busts- So just as a caveat - I'm not totally sure where Kakko ends up but I'm very confident he's not a bust. I'm a lot more bullish on Laffy but this point applies to both. Poolies want to call them busts but how is that even possible when they've literally never had more than a three or four game run on a scoring line? Their production may be slightly concerning for their deployment but realistically its not all that far off where most third lineres with under a minute of pp2 time are at. This drought was always about Gallant not trusting rookies (because he never has and never will) and hes gone now. The people smugly chiming in that Lafreniere is a bust are in for a rude awakening- it might be one more season before we see truly eye popping numbers but I want to be clear- even if thats the case his numbers will still be impactful next season. If you cut him because you thought he had topped out- you're in for a pretty bunk wake up call...

- If anything Lafrenieres just a talented 60 point player who was drafted too high- Absolutely laugable! Lafrenieres gift for offense was consistently dazzling to scouts and when he periodically "put on his superman cape" professional evaluators were at a loss for superlatives in terms of how to describe his play. This was a deployment issue and again- thats over now lol! I could see 70 easy next year and inside three yearsid expecthis projections are around a point per game with a decent shot at cracking 90. To be clear his upside could be higher- but thats where it starts and people who think he was just a 60 point one dimensional type will be floored at how wrong they got this one...

- The only kid worth owing is Chytil- Nowhere is the "what have you done for me lately" energy stronger than I this gem of an "insight". Now I like Chytil but he's a year older and hes the center on what is actually a pretty strong L3- that doesn't make him the diamond in the rough or the gu carrying the line. IF he ever hits a point per game or better it will be In large part to playing with a superstar winger (or two) in lafreniere and kakko not in spite of it. Here's the alarming part though- when you look at that roster the top two centers are pretty much set in stone. You don't pay Trochek that type of money to play a checking role and Ziba ia Ziba. Guess what that means? It means that while some of the kids might very will be in lie for a promotion, chances are that it's NOT Chytil...

Gallant is gone and you know its in large part to how he handled these players. Changes are coming. I think at least one top line spot might be able to one of them or its possible they both flank Trochel on L2. Even on this scenario one guy gets tat coveted pp1 time and one doesn't. For my money Lafreniere gets the first look and he gets the longer look.

If that happens we are talking about a Jack Hughes-esque breakout by next year.

Can't wait for all the posts rewriting history saying they always knew he was an her talent lol! Nows your last chance to make a pitch...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: The "Kid Line" in New York- Here... we.... go!!

Will Gallant gone help Laf and Kakko? Probably but Laf in particular is behind Paniran and Krieder on his left side. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he’s a impactful offensive player since junior hockey. Not to high on him at this point. Now if Krieder were to be traded then Maybe.

Kakko now I can see him explode soon. Nothing against Laf I just don’t see where you’re getting this from.

Dobber Sports Wizard

"So let's clear up some fallacies about the kid line in New York going into next season" - Pretty crappy line to start with...

Just because you believe in something does not mean its true...

Just because you disagree with someone's opinion does not mean you are right...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As a Lafreniere owner and what I gave up for him I really hope you are correct. I do think Laf will pop but I’m not so sure on the 90-100 point upside. Let’s hope for 60 next year and hope he can steadily progress to 70-80 points. He may have a 90 point season in him at one point and I would be ecstatic if he does! But I’m not holding my breath. I hope I’m wrong but either way I won’t be selling low on him. He either breaks or busts!!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by PoolPartyPuljeejarvi View Post
    Can't wait for all the posts rewriting history saying they always knew he was an her talent lol! Nows your last chance to make a pitch...
    I don't know whether Lafreniere or Kakko will pop next year, or the year after. I think plenty, including me, have been waiting for it to happen, but even though I know it still can happen - no players come for free. They're both judged against other players. The questions are - What's a reasonable projection at this point? What's the upside? What are the odds?

A more interesting question, imo, would be - where would these players rank if you would draft them for your fantasy team now, between these specific players:

1. Nico Hischier (New Jersey Devils)
    2. Nolan Patrick (Philadelphia Flyers)
    3. Miro Heiskanen (Dallas Stars)
    4. Cale Makar (Colorado Avalanche)
    5. Elias Pettersson (Vancouver Canucks)

1. Rasmus Dahlin (Buffalo Sabres)
    2. Andrei Svechnikov (Carolina Hurricanes)
    3. Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Montreal Canadiens)
    4. Brady Tkachuk (Ottawa Senators)
    5. Barrett Hayton (Arizona Coyotes)

1. Jack Hughes (New Jersey Devils)
    2. Kaapo Kakko (New York Rangers)
    3. Kirby Dach (Chicago Blackhawks)
    4. Bowen Byram (Colorado Avalanche)
    5. Alex Turcotte (Los Angeles Kings)

1. Alexis Lafreniere (New York Rangers)
    2. Quinton Byfield (Los Angeles Kings)
    3. Tim Stutzle (Ottawa Senators)
    4. Lucas Raymond (Detroit Red Wings)
    5. Jamie Drysdale (Anaheim Ducks)

1. Owen Power (Buffalo Sabres)
    2. Matthew Beniers (Seattle Kraken)
    3. Mason McTavish (Anaheim Ducks)
    4. Luke Hughes (New Jersey Devils)
    5. Dylan Guenther (Arizona Coyotes)

Do they both rank between 2-10 or has there been a drop-off? (Between 1st overall, I think only Dahlin was hyped more than Lafreniere)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

2017. Maker, Peterson, Hesikanen, Hischier, Patrick
    2018. Dahlin, Tkachuk, Svechnikov, Hayton, Kotkaniemi
    2019. Hughes, Dach, Byram, Kakko, Turcotte
    2020. Stutzle, Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Drysdale
    2021. Power, McTavish, Berniers, Hughes, Guenther

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thats a good question because although I believe its not actually my own opinion. Its the opinion of scouts and professionals at the time and the group i lean in specifically has a pretty dang good track record (not flawless of course)- but as lopp said: NO prospect except maybe Dahlin was hyped more than laf and even thats a maybe. Players like that rarely miss- yakupov had a hell of a lot more doubters than laf has. We just choose to forget that stuff or never paid attention in the first place and the worst part is its not like he's been given a chance and failed- he literally was not given a chance.

And yes this is an opinion- last time I checked those were allowed belexus so you be miserable all you want- not gonna bother me lol!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thats a good question because although I believe its not actually my own opinion. Its the opinion of scouts and professionals at the time and the group i lean in specifically has a pretty dang good track record (not flawless of course)- but as lopp said: NO prospect except maybe Dahlin was hyped more than laf and even thats a maybe. Players like that rarely miss- yakupov had a hell of a lot more doubters than laf has. We just choose to forget that stuff or never paid attention in the first place and the worst part is its not like he's been given a chance and failed- he literally was not given a chance.

And yes this is an opinion- last time I checked those were allowed belexus so you be miserable all you want- not gonna bother me lol!!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by p7staxc View Post
    I can live with this- and I appreciate laf at 2 AND Byfield at 3 (another guy the "what have you done for me lately" crowd has given up on) but I do wonder what lafreniere could have done with Stutzles deployment. I wouldn't be surprised if those two ended up pretty dang close when the sun sets on their careers. Stutzle was that guy scouts were pushing hard to get in the top three conversation- hes legit...

- - - Updated - - -

I can live with this- and I appreciate laf at 2 AND Byfield at 3 (another guy the "what have you done for me lately" crowd has given up on) but I do wonder what lafreniere could have done with Stutzles deployment. I wouldn't be surprised if those two ended up pretty dang close when the sun sets on their careers. Stutzle was that guy scouts were pushing hard to get in the top three conversation- hes legit...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    "So let's clear up some fallacies about the kid line in New York going into next season" - Pretty crappy line to start with...

Look man if you insist on posting this kind of stuff thats fine- but opinions are allowed and if you took the time out of your day to share yours here (I mean WHY? But anyways...)- ill take the time to share mine.

I promise you I will never edit my posts to appease some grumpy anon whose more interested in being critical than having a discussion- find a better venue to soothe your ego maybe? But if not its all good too- but imma keep doing me. Thanks for sharing?

- - - Updated - - -

Look man if you insist on posting this kind of stuff thats fine- but opinions are allowed and if you took the time out of your day to share yours here (I mean WHY? But anyways...)- ill take the time to share mine.

I promise you I will never edit my posts to appease some grumpy anon whose more interested in being critical than having a discussion- find a better venue to soothe your ego maybe? But if not its all good too- but imma keep doing me. Thanks for sharing...

Dobber Sports Wizard

I promise you I will never edit my posts to appease some grumpy anon whose more interested in being critical than having a discussion- find a better venue to soothe your ego maybe? But if not its all good too- but imma keep doing me. Thanks for sharing?

- - - Updated - - -

I promise you I will never edit my posts to appease some grumpy anon whose more interested in being critical than having a discussion- find a better venue to soothe your ego maybe? But if not its all good too- but imma keep doing me. Thanks for sharing...
    nothing about being grumpy...as you said its opinions and you saying that other people's opinions are "wrong" lol..that's how you start your post..

in fact i actually agree with lots of things you said, not all..but quite a bit ...but you sayin that anybody in community thinking otherwise is wrong is not an opinions..is out right rude...so think again who is the grumpy one... you wrote your post because you didnt like opinion of some people on those kids...that is pretty close to definition of grumpy dont you think?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

nothing about being grumpy...as you said its opinions and you saying that other people's opinions are "wrong" lol..that's how you start your post..

in fact i actually agree with lots of things you said, not all..but quite a bit ...but you sayin that anybody in community thinking otherwise is wrong is not an opinions..is out right rude...so think again who is the grumpy one... you wrote your post because you didnt like opinion of some people on those kids...that is pretty close to definition of grumpy dont you think?
    Opinions can differ- its not rude- your post is rude and thats fine i just think its pointless cause its not even hockey related and im not in the habit of giving a sh*t when some grumpy guy wants to admonish me- zero ****s given. There are a lot of opinions on here that I believe are wrong and I've got no issue saying so.

Guessing 75 is your birth year right? Ill tell you what if I was at a pub and some boomer came up and said "thats a shifty way to start"- id tell him to **** right off- lol! So its not a pub its a forum which means I can exercise some decorum but if you think your owed anything beyond that- you're dreaming pal lmao! You want to talk hockey im here- you want to chide people about how they phrase their differing opinions- then I've got less than zero interest in that- lmao! I've seen it advised on here to drop lafreniere many times and its the same narrative I heard about Jack Hughes and its dumb.

You don't like the way I phrase things its a big forum bud- no one is forcing you to do the "get off my lawn thing" here- thats all you...

Dobber Sports Initiate

Not claiming the list below is accurate, just a fairly quick ranking from a fantasy, hits+PIMs league perspective, as I see it.
    1. Makar
    1. B Tkachuk
    2. Dahlin
    2. Pettersson
    3. Stützle
    3. J Hughes
    3. Heiskanen
    4. Svechnikov
    4. N Hishier
    4. Beniers

Then comes a group of still unknowns, good-great potential, but either too young yet, unproven or of uncertain fantasy value - Hayton, Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Drysdale, Power, McTavish, L Hughes, Dach, Byram, Kakko.

The first group of ranked players I wouldn't hesitate to include in my own team of 6 keepers. Those below I'd consider if I have a spot open. There's a decent chance Lafreniere breaks through, and if he does, he could be an excellent keeper in my league, but there's risk involved in choosing him above the rest.

Given the opportunity - should I trade away W Johnston for Lafreniere today?
    Yahoo Limited keeper: keep up to 8 players from the preceding season, but 2 of them has to be dropped at the end of the season, decided before the start. 'Keep eligible players' from draft round 11 and later, or undrafted.
    16 team league. H2H. League cats: G A +/- PIM PPP SHP SOG FW HIT BLK; W GAA SV SV% SHO
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench, 2IR
    Keepers 23/24 + cost of keeping. M Seider 2, B Tkachuk 5, D Batherson 4, D Cozens 1, W Johnston 1, F Gustavsson 1. Drafted and keep eligible: J Sanderson, T Harley, J Wallstedt

Dobber Sports Wizard

Opinions can differ- its not rude- your post is rude and thats fine i just think its pointless cause its not even hockey related and im not in the habit of giving a sh*t when some grumpy guy wants to admonish me- zero ****s given. There are a lot of opinions on here that I believe are wrong and I've got no issue saying so.

Guessing 75 is your birth year right? Ill tell you what if I was at a pub and some boomer came up and said "thats a shifty way to start"- id tell him to **** right off- lol! So its not a pub its a forum which means I can exercise some decorum but if you think your owed anything beyond that- you're dreaming pal lmao! You want to talk hockey im here- you want to chide people about how they phrase their differing opinions- then I've got less than zero interest in that- lmao! I've seen it advised on here to drop lafreniere many times and its the same narrative I heard about Jack Hughes and its dumb.

You don't like the way I phrase things its a big forum bud- no one is forcing you to do the "get off my lawn thing" here- thats all you...
    Yes Opinions can differ....thats why starting your post saying that everybody that thinks different than you is wrong is rude in my books....

also if you going to be ageist on this form...you not gonna get far....many established members here are older than i am....

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Right from the get go I had strong inclinations to believe the Emu has returned. Welcome back. I knew it was only a matter of time before PPP started attacking posters! To be fair this is your post and you are free to say what you like! And perhaps another poster may have come across critical. But you gotta admit he does have a point. I agree with almost everything you said in your post my man. But it’s your tone, the way you come across as if your opinion is the only opinion, though you don’t outright say those words it’s kind of how your post in this instance sounds. I’m not trying to start anything please hear me on this. In fact I rather enjoy your posts most of the time. Just saying why another poster may have come across critical. And Ps let’s go Laffy Taffy I need him to succeed. Lol.

Dobber Sports Ace

Prognosticating is based on context and historical comparables and in the best instances attempts to take into account as many variables as possible that could reasonably be considered to be influential in the given circumstances.

But it's still prognosticating. There is no way to take into account every single possible variable in a system that is this complex. So at the end of the day, you may be right or you may be wrong. Be willing to accept either outcome.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson