Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quinton Byfield

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Quinton Byfield

Just wondering what your guys opinions are on him? Is he a potential top 20 player and what should his value be? I don’t watch a lot of kings games due to being in the Atlantic time zone so I don’t have the greatest read on the guy. I seen he was getting minutes with Kopitar on the 1st line in playoffs to me that’s a sign he could explode next season. What do you guys think?
    14 team Keep all category based Dynasty league

scoring Category’s are G,A, PTS, SOG, BLKs, Hits, FOW, W, SVs, SV% and GAA

C-Draisatle, Eichel, Jenner, Gourde, Malkin, Crosby

LW- Guadreau , Marchand, Chandler Stephenson , Pacioretty

RW-Patrick Kane, Hathaway, Rienhart, Laine , Stone

D-Makar, Towes, Ristolainen, R.Andersson,Burns , Pietrangelo, McAvoy, Provonov

G- Andersen , Allen, Brobovsky

Minors

C-Hirovinen, Klimovich, Lafferty, J.McBain, J.Roy, Brad Lamburt, Rossi

LW-J. Doan, A.Nylander, R.Lomberg, Kuzmenko

RW- E.Bemstrom, C.Caufield, Jenik, Koivunen,

D- Sandin, Barron, K.Guhle, Timmons, Soderstrom, Niemela

G- Woll, Swayman, Logan Thompson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Quinton Byfield

I think he has a few more seasons until he explodes. What exactly will exploding be? My guess is 70-80 points maybe even 90…I’m not sold he’s a 100 point guy but I’m not an NHL scout; just a know-it-all armchair fantasy GM with as many championships as David Poile.

Dobber Sports Ace

I still believe he will be a good player. But think expectations should be tempered. Don’t see him as the elite star people once thought he would be.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    I think he has a few more seasons until he explodes. What exactly will exploding be? My guess is 70-80 points maybe even 90…I’m not sold he’s a 100 point guy but I’m not an NHL scout; just a know-it-all armchair fantasy GM with as many championships as David Poile.
    Yes that is fair I can see that aswell

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zambronies View Post
    I still believe he will be a good player. But think expectations should be tempered. Don’t see him as the elite star people once thought he would be.
    Why is that?

The Great One

LA looks to be shaping up to be similar to St. Louis and Seattle, namely teams which try to win by spreading out offense rather than playing one or two lines into the ground. I think it won't help Byfield "pop" but it should give him a real chance to play with surrounding talent. Once Kopitar slows, then things will get interesting, but that might not be for 2-3+ seasons given his playing style.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

Considering LA wasn't willing to part with him in trade talks for Chychrun should be fairly telling in regards to how they perceive his future with the franchise.

Potential top 20 player? Hard to say. I don't expect it but who am I to limit/assume the kids potential. I do think he's still a couple years away from really showing us his true colors. LA has been patient with him and that's a good thing.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Considering LA wasn't willing to part with him in trade talks for Chychrun should be fairly telling in regards to how they perceive his future with the franchise.

Potential top 20 player? Hard to say. I don't expect it but who am I to limit/assume the kids potential. I do think he's still a couple years away from really showing us his true colors. LA has been patient with him and that's a good thing.
    Fully agree with this and i will add that he has been doing all the little details well, his attention to details is excellent already. Personally i think its just matter of time. Exactly how good he will be we will see but im pretty sure he will at the worst be a top 50 guy at some point. When you look at his stats up to date its easy to assume he is not living up to expectations..but if you watch him play you can see all the tools....they just need to cook bit longer...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    Fully agree with this and i will add that he has been doing all the little details well, his attention to details is excellent already. Personally i think its just matter of time. Exactly how good he will be we will see but im pretty sure he will at the worst be a top 50 guy at some point. When you look at his stats up to date its easy to assume he is not living up to expectations..but if you watch him play you can see all the tools....they just need to cook bit longer...
    Sounds like tage Thompson to me

Dobber Sports Initiate

I believe he will develop into a point per game player or close to one but that may not happen for 2-3 seasons. I look at 3 factors: (1) his skating; it is great, especially for a guy his size. He moves better than Tage Thompson who is of equal size - Byfield's skating is so smooth and he makes it look effortless - he's got the glide but also can turn it up if he wants to; (2) his hands; these are some silky mitts, and he has great vision. He's creative with the puck around the net and will become a much better scorer. Also, I'm not going to say he's the next Jumbo Joe as that's an insult to Joe T, but I do see similarities between the two in their passing vision acumen/creativity - especially so when you look at the earlier stage of Joe T's career; (3) his line placement; I don't see him coming off that top line next year with LA, they have faith in him, are being patient, and giving him the time, the linemates and the opportunity to succeed and develop.

I think it's really only a matter of time until he turns into exactly into what LA drafted him to be at the number 2 slot. Injuries have delayed his development a bit so far, but his skills are apparent and pass the eye test, and he's getting the opportunity. I would hope for something in the 50-60 point range next year as a big step forward in his development, but think he really pops 3 years or so out from now... maybe 2. I remember watching Mackinnon in his first few seasons and thought "wow, his skating is really impressive" and it just really jumped out every time I watched, but then he just couldn't put all the pieces of his skillset together at that point, until he finally did in his year 5 season (note that he'd played 300 games by then) - these are very different players obviously and Byfield doesn't have MacK's speed, but I think this is also exactly what happens with Byfield's progression. He really has the skills and once they all come together, watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    I believe he will develop into a point per game player or close to one but that may not happen for 2-3 seasons. I look at 3 factors: (1) his skating; it is great, especially for a guy his size. He moves better than Tage Thompson who is of equal size - Byfield's skating is so smooth and he makes it look effortless - he's got the glide but also can turn it up if he wants to; (2) his hands; these are some silky mitts, and he has great vision. He's creative with the puck around the net and will become a much better scorer. Also, I'm not going to say he's the next Jumbo Joe as that's an insult to Joe T, but I do see similarities between the two in their passing vision acumen/creativity - especially so when you look at the earlier stage of Joe T's career; (3) his line placement; I don't see him coming off that top line next year with LA, they have faith in him, are being patient, and giving him the time, the linemates and the opportunity to succeed and develop.

I think it's really only a matter of time until he turns into exactly into what LA drafted him to be at the number 2 slot. Injuries have delayed his development a bit so far, but his skills are apparent and pass the eye test, and he's getting the opportunity. I would hope for something in the 50-60 point range next year as a big step forward in his development, but think he really pops 3 years or so out from now... maybe 2. I remember watching Mackinnon in his first few seasons and thought "wow, his skating is really impressive" and it just really jumped out every time I watched, but then he just couldn't put all the pieces of his skillset together at that point, until he finally did in his year 5 season (note that he'd played 300 games by then) - these are very different players obviously and Byfield doesn't have MacK's speed, but I think this is also exactly what happens with Byfield's progression. He really has the skills and once they all come together, watch out.
    I can also see this. Do you think the gap between himself and Stutzle

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Nylander2.0 View Post
    Sounds like tage Thompson to me
    yes and know...difference is that not many thought Thompson will be Thompson and year or 2 before we broke out just about everybody gave up on him...

....this is probably not going to continue forever but so far Byfield is following a bit of footsteps of Blake Wheeler in a sense that he gets better year after year and is consistently improving...this is not a normal thing for NHL career path.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    yes and know...difference is that not many thought Thompson will be Thompson and year or 2 before we broke out just about everybody gave up on him...

....this is probably not going to continue forever but so far Byfield is following a bit of footsteps of Blake Wheeler in a sense that he gets better year after year and is consistently improving...this is not a normal thing for NHL career path.
    Well wheeler and him are both big players. Byfield is definitely the better skater tho. Interesting comparison

Dobber Sports Sophomore

The comparable for me is barkov- but with the luxury of cooking for an extra year or two. In terms of points I think that means a point per game floor with forays I to 90+ and even 100+ seasons if the stars align. I don't think he's in that mackinnon/matthews/eichel tier but his upside is pretty close- maybe the top of that next tier..

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Agree w/everybody above.
    The big bodied players develop slower...
    Tage... Wheeler... Barkov... all great comparables.

Byfield is going to get there and not only will have be good through the middle of the ice... but also on the puck and on the PP.
    He's gonna be a 90+pt player around his year #6... but it will be a slower consistent rise until then.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I still believe he and lafreniere will emerge as two of the best players in this draft although id add stutzle in there for sure and concede he could end up as the best of the three- well see. I think there is still time for a player or two that are struggling right now to find their game as well. We say we have to be patient with prospects out of one side of our mouths but it seems to me were condemning after their first 3 seasons out the other. I think a 5 year timeline is a lot more realistic than 3 and even then its not a guarantee they've hit their upside but just that we have a better idea where they're headed. For example Zadina is a guy I had very high hopes for but at this point I'm not going to disagree if someone wants to write him off..