Thread: Picking 2nd and 4th

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Picking 2nd and 4th

Dynasty League of 24 teams, salary cap, the works. got lucky in the lottery.
    League counts G,A,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,HITS,BLOCKS,FOW,TOISH

At 4th I’d take whoever is left from the big 4. probably Carlsson
    At 2nd should I favour Fantilli over Michkov because of FOW?
    The wait doesn’t concern me but my team is definitely weaker at C then it is at either W.

Ideally I’d like both Fantilli and Michkov. Michkov would have the higher likelihood of still being there at 4th correct?

Also, a offer has come in - Necas and 9th for 4th
    Would you take that?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Picking 2nd and 4th

I would take Fantilli at 2, less risk or complications regarding contract status and should still be a stud at the most important position. I would also be open to trading the 4th for Necas and the 9th overall pick.
    Necas has really found his groove and is a key piece on a great team. That said, I would let other teams know you are open to moving the 4th and see what other offers are out there.
    2023 Champ
    11 Teams - 24 player rosters - 12 Keepers (max 2 goalies)
    Yahoo rotisserie - 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN ,2IR
    G, A, PPP, SHP, HITS, +-, PIM, BK, GS, W,GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Lindholm, Stephenson, Norris
    LW: Robertson,
    Fiala, Bertuzzi, Boldy,
    RW: Miller, Tarasenko, Seguin, Ehlers
    D: Hamilton, Karlsson,
    Bouchard, Nurse, Dobson, Larsson
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin
    B: Husso, Tippett, McCabe, TT.

Dobber Sports Deity

First off, congratulations on getting lucky at the draft lottery.

As far as pick #2 goes, it's tough for me because I am a big fan of Leo Carlsson and feel he's not getting the love he should get here coming into the draft. I know many love Michkov but I tend to avoid the Russians simply due to the KHL factor. With that said, #2 really comes down to Carlsson or Fantilli for me. Honestly, I think in a few years, this discussion will be a lot closer than it appears to be today, but a lot will depend on where they actually land for opportunities. I think both kids are future studs in the NHL and either is a good choice there. Both are centers too.

On to the trade offer for #4, I guess a lot comes down to your concern with Necas' next contract and your cap situation, as well as where your team sits as far as competitiveness goes. He's got one year left on his current deal at $3M, then he's a RFA with arb rights. He's going to get paid. The one potential saving grace is the talk that the cap is going to jump after next season so that might help your cap situation. It's hard because if you draft Fantilli at #2 and let whoever is at #3 choose your fate for #4, I'd be nervous that Michkov doesnt go #3. Now maybe that doesn't scare you at all, but it does me and my fear of Russian players. If I knew going into the draft that I was getting Fantilli and Carlsson at 2 and 4, I am keeping the pick and declining the offer. I honestly love both those kids and their potential. If you have no worries about Michkov, then keep the pick and draft your guys. I like Necas but the potential from the top 3 in this draft (4 if you have no Russian concerns) looks way too tempting to pass up, especially when ELCs are brought into the scenario.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^I like Axe's take here on Leo Carlsson being an excellent player.
    But I think that's the rare (albeit - excellent) take.

For me, you play this out:
    1. Bedard
    2. You take Fantilli
    3. (Whoever is here probably takes? Michkov)
    4. You take who is left: Carlsson

Or...
    1. Bedard
    2. You take Carlsson
    3. This is probably Fantilli - people usually take the NA prospects if close/tie
    4. You get Michkov

Or...
    1. Bedard
    2. You take Michkov
    3. He takes Fantilli
    4. You get Carlsson

So... you can see that you can't get Fantilli/Michkov (in most leagues)

The lottery will also determine a lot.
    I mean... let's say CHI wins the #2 pick and you read that they love Fantilli.
    And let's say #3 and #4 is San Jose and Anaheim.
    I like the prospects of whoever joins SJ & ANA (because of Eklund/Couture/Hertl and because of Zegras/MacTavish).

So... there's some wait/thinking there depending on teams.

Personally - CHI is SO far from being competitive... I want no part of any non-Bedard player on that team.
    That's a tie-break LOSER for me, whoever CHI drafts... I'd rather the other two of Fantilli/Michkov/Carlsson.

The guy I'd really love... a CENTER drafted to the Columbus Blue Jackets. Assuming they get the 2/3/4 pick.
    That player is looking at slotting between Gaudreau, Laine, K.Johnson, Marchenko over the next many years.
    Yum.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

For me at #2 it’s Michkov all day. Then you get Carlsson at 4 which is pretty sweet. I think Michkov will be nearly as good as Bedard. The gap between Michkov and fantilli will be much more than between Fantilli and Carlsson. Or perhaps you chance Fantilli at 2 and your guy at 3 goes Carlsson and you scoop up Michkov at 4 which would be ideal but if it’s me I’m not risking losing Michkov.

Dobber Sports Wizard

"Or perhaps you chance Fantilli at 2 and your guy at 3 goes Carlsson and you scoop up Michkov at 4 which would be ideal but if it’s me I’m not risking losing Michkov."

That would probably be the play I would do in a vacuum.
    Waiting to see where each player gets drafted (as P7 said) will also have a significant impact on my choice.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'd be stoked with michkov and Carlsson.

Pass on Necas...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thankyou for all your insights

Some of you are really high on Carlsson, I like him to but see him as the 4th ranked guy here. From the reports I’ve read and tape I’ve watched he definitely seems like a pass first guy who’s mostly been LW and not C and lacks the top end speed. Am I wrong here?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Rajiabu View Post

Some of you are really high on Carlsson, I like him to but see him as the 4th ranked guy here. From the reports I’ve read and tape I’ve watched he definitely seems like a pass first guy who’s mostly been LW and not C and lacks the top end speed. Am I wrong here?
    This is a quote from Bob MacKenzie about Carlsson:

“Fantilli, Carlsson and Michkov form a triumvirate of blue-chip prospects who, for varying reasons, aren’t currently in Bedard’s stratosphere but who have separated themselves from the rest of the class in a strata of their own... The Swedish centre, who can also play on the wing, is a smooth-skating, smart and skilled dual threat to score and make plays. His 6-foot-3, almost 200-pound frame provides a power element to his slick offensive game and he, too, like Fantilli, is projected as a 1B or 2A NHL centre.”
    Here's a good read about him as well. It talks about his speed, amongst other things, in this write up.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/wh...2023-nhl-draft

As I said earlier, I am quite high on him and have him in front of Michkov in my rankings primarily because I don't trust the Russian factor, but also because I think Carlsson is just that good. I dont think his skating is a concern. Honestly, they are all crapshoots (well maybe not Bedard) and we don't really know how they will transition to the NHL and how long it will take. I just like the fact he's already got the size and is playing against men in the SHL and doing very well for a kid. Who knows how much the guy picking 3 values either of Michkov or Carlsson. Maybe Michkov drops a few spots in the actual draft (again due to the Russian factor usually) and it scares off the guy picking 3 in your league from taking him and he goes Carlsson.

Until the actual draft plays out, it's hard to make these assumptions and even then, we cant say for sure how your draft will play out. We know whos going first and you decide who's going 2nd, so after that, you're sitting pretty at 4 no matter who falls to you, again assuming you don't fear the Russian factor like I do.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Rajiabu View Post

I don't disagree with what others are saying here- I think Carlsson is almost the forgotten guy this year and thats a shame because he looks sooooo good!!

For context though- you're not actually wrong. I'm in a goal and sog weighted league and for that reason there's no debate for me- hes a clear 4th. I'm not sure about his speed but his game isn't predicated on that anyways.

What im saying is- Carlsson STILL projects as like a 90 point player like the rest and hell probably get there- only when he does it'll likely be with 25-30 goals and a few less sogs. The tricky thing is that players have been able to add that trait hostorically- Ehlers and Necas are two guys who made huge gains that way this year. For me michkov is the clear-cut 2nd (again based on my league and I guess I dont buy the Russian alarm stuff)- and scouts are gushing over fantilli so I'm probably taking him 3rd but I think its important to realize this is still a guessing game and Carlsson could be the best of the bunch- i think thats worth putting out there. I mean there's also a world where all 3 work out and he looks a lot like another big bodied, pass first European player in Barkov!! His sogs are kind of the bare minimum for me and when you look back he actually has struggled to break 30 goals most seasons... but I would gladly (read: be downright giddy!!) to take him in my league- haha! Thats the upside here so while we have to make a decision one way or the other- I think it bears noting that anyone of these guys has the ability to ruin your day of you don't draft them lol!

So yea- you're not wrong but don't let those shortcomings convince you hes a guy you want to pass on- he isnt!

Dobber Sports Stud

Great problem to have here. Any chance you can package those two picks for 1OA?

Otherwise, I'd wait to see which NHL team picks which player, and to me this is very important with how close these 3 are. I would stay away from any Chicago pick if you can and I'd probably use that as a tie breaker between choosing of the 3.

Another option: Trade down to 3rd so you have 3rd and 4th. Then you get another asset and you don't need to be making tough decisions lol. This of course depends of the quality of the other asset you can scoop.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO