Thread: How do you handle bad owners?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default How do you handle bad owners?

I'm not the comish of the league, but I've talked to him for a few years about bad owners. This year has become increasingly frustrating. I've had some letdowns and made some bad decisions early, so it seemed I wasn't going to be a top contender. I'm pretty well known for trying to get in the playoffs every year while relying on waivers rather than high picks. My plan became to with the 1st overall rookie pick by winning the separate tourney for non-playoff teams. I seemed pretty built for that. The problem is that down the stretch, I've faced teams that go beyond tanking. I played a team with 3 LTIR players while they had healthy bodies and another team that played not only injured players but also players that haven't played an NHL game this year. They had fewer healthy options but have made no attempt to drop their AHL players at any point. Am I going overboard worrying about other teams? I'm at a "them or me" point here. The comish is actually really good, just really busy. No one should have to babysit teams anyway.
    H2H CONTRACT
    C - Larkin 1, MacKinnon 1, Hischier 2
    W- Pastranak 1, Kreider1, Benn 1, Schmaltz 1,Teravinen 2, Skinner1, T. Moore [color=red]2[/color
    D - Toews 2, DeAngelo 3, Faulk 2, Morrissey 1Spence 4, Marino 1, Mike Reilly 1
    G- Hill 1Jarry 3Vanecek 4
    MINORS- Slafkovsky, Wallstedt, Gauthier, O. Moore

SKATER +-/G/A/SOG/blocks
    GOALIE GAA/W/S

Playing roster: 2C,3W,1F,4D,1G

* length of contract

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: How do you handle bad owners?

If folks want to throw away their money every year, then it makes it easier for everyone else to win. The only issue would be if they play a good roster against some teams and an intentionally bad roster against others. If it's not that, then just accept their donations, haha.

That being said if you have an unengaged owner and someone active who wants to take their place, feel free to let the owner know they don't have to continue in a league they don't have time for anymore.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Stud

In our league, if a team has a retired, injured, obvious minor leaguer, etc type player in their active line up while an actual even somewhat producing full time healthy NHLer is on their bench, our commish goes in and changes their line up for them for the week. Then the 'guilty' GM gets shamed on the group forum (LOL).
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Administrator

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    In our league, if a team has a retired, injured, obvious minor leaguer, etc type player in their active line up while an actual even somewhat producing full time healthy NHLer is on their bench, our commish goes in and changes their line up for them for the week. Then the 'guilty' GM gets shamed on the group forum (LOL).
    we went through this in our league earlier and raised a debate. while this doesn't really hold true for skaters but GMen it does. What if in some universe this happens where GM-X leads in all Goalie stats, so much so that IF he sat working goalies at the end of the year so as not damage his SV% or GAA numbers, is it not a strategy he's employing?
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not really applicable in a head-to-head weekly format. Not playing your best players can be a strategy, but I just think it goes too far when you have AHL players on your roster all year or playing someone that's been out for months. It just skews everything. Some get easy wins from it, but occasionally they get lucky, and the few players they do have performed enough to win a week. That's kind of crap, too. In a 14-team league, you end up with a 10-team league with teams getting boosts for playing those teams at the right time. I ended up just making the playoffs, where I stand no chance instead of playing in the loser's cup with a real chance to win it. I've never had a problem making the playoffs, but it should be based on the best team you can put together.
    H2H CONTRACT
    C - Larkin 1, MacKinnon 1, Hischier 2
    W- Pastranak 1, Kreider1, Benn 1, Schmaltz 1,Teravinen 2, Skinner1, T. Moore [color=red]2[/color
    D - Toews 2, DeAngelo 3, Faulk 2, Morrissey 1Spence 4, Marino 1, Mike Reilly 1
    G- Hill 1Jarry 3Vanecek 4
    MINORS- Slafkovsky, Wallstedt, Gauthier, O. Moore

SKATER +-/G/A/SOG/blocks
    GOALIE GAA/W/S

Playing roster: 2C,3W,1F,4D,1G

* length of contract

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As always, if your league isn't behaving the way you want, and you can't get enough support from your commish and/or other GMs to change anything, time for a new league.

Getting into the weeds of the specific details of your league and what those other GMs are/aren't doing doesn't change the above statement.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just find a more serious league. The commish should be encouraging active and competitive GMs. Otherwise it goes off the rails.

Commish in my league will retroactively change rostering within reason, after explaining to the lazy GM why they did so. GMs smarten up after that. Doesnt need to be a spectacle.

Dobber Sports Master

Add an anti tank measure where you have to play 80% of the leagues average games played in order to qualify for the offseason lottery .

total gps by all teams = X divided by how many teams in the league X 80% = the bar set for games played required for lotto participation qualification .

I think this could work well for your league considering how bad it seems . I'm also assuming these guys are active daily and are simply tanking as best they can and this is not a case of an absent owner

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    LoL. This is what you really want to do deep down. As tempting as that is, sometimes it's just not worth the ass pain depending on how widespread the problem is. Leagues come and leagues go. Bad owners for any number of reasons even good leagues can get stale over time, same GM's same results year after year it just gets into a rut and it can't get out. Sounds like this league probably needs to fold and that's not the end of the world by any means, you just move on.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Star

All you can do is prevent the incentive to tank by draft pick lottery or games played measure. Incompetent NHL GMs still have jobs so as long as fantasy manager continue to pay their dues it is what it is. In most cases, if a manager isnt going to play a new anti-tanking rule likely wont change that much and they may be perfectly ok leaving the league. If you cant find a replacement manager therein lies a conundrum where a bad league is better than no league at all presumably

Many have suggested just playing in a new league with similarly competitive managers which is a viable solution. Definitely more difficult if youve built a friendship with some of the managers in the league but in a 'better' league you can make more friends!
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.