Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rank these stud goalies

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Rank these stud goalies

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    There are goalies not listed here that also make up the tiers.
    Top tier:
    Shesterkin
    Vasilevskiy

Second tier:
    Sorokin - I need to see more team success

--stud goalie cutoff--

Third tier - non-stud:
    Nobody you posted is here, yet.

Fourth tier - non-stud:
    Samsonov - he can get to the third tier by cementing the starting job over the perennially overrated Matt Murray for the rest of this year and next.
    Couldn't agree more with this entire post.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I definitely agree that Samsonov is 4th out of the 4 right now, but the responses in this thread also make me feel like he might still be a decent buy-low candidate.

Goals Saved Above Average per 60 for goalies with at least 25 starts this year:
    1st - Ullmark .894
    2nd - Sorokin .686
    3rd - Hellebuyck .588
    4th - Saros .544
    5th - Vasilevskiy .525
    6th - Hart .484
    7th - Samsonov .457
    8th - Oettinger .446
    9th - Vejmelka .432
    10th - Shesterkin .431

Samsonov's potential, especially if he is the #1 for the Leafs for the next 3+ years, is sky-high.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Shesty
    Vasil
    Sorokin (only because of W as a cat)
    Samsonov - team needs more consistent D structure in front of him. Get back to Nov hockey & then he'll provide consistently comparable numbers. He was suppose to be as good as the other 3 when drafted - the most upside remaining?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    I definitely agree that Samsonov is 4th out of the 4 right now, but the responses in this thread also make me feel like he might still be a decent buy-low candidate.

Goals Saved Above Average per 60 for goalies with at least 25 starts this year:
    1st - Ullmark .894
    2nd - Sorokin .686
    3rd - Hellebuyck .588
    4th - Saros .544
    5th - Vasilevskiy .525
    6th - Hart .484
    7th - Samsonov .457
    8th - Oettinger .446
    9th - Vejmelka .432
    10th - Shesterkin .431

Samsonov's potential, especially if he is the #1 for the Leafs for the next 3+ years, is sky-high.
    Now do this for the previous season and let me know what you think of Samsonov.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Now do this for the previous season and let me know what you think of Samsonov.
    Past performance is not indicative of future results, especially for a still-young and still-developing goalie. Particularly one who had extremely high pedigree.

If Linus Ullmark can go from a pretty meh age 28 season to a league-best absolutely dominant age 29 season, then certainly there is a chance that Samsonov can go from a shitty age 24 season to a very good age 25 season to multiple dominant seasons over the next decade. Whether he will or not is a totally different story.

Like I said, I have him ranked last of the four. I just think the <tier break><tier break><tier break> stuff that I am seeing between him and the others indicates he might still be able to be acquired relatively cheap while also having pretty significant upside.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree that he has upside, which is was I gave that specific note in my rankings, but he's two issues to be a stud goalie:

1. He's not specifically "the man" on his team. That cuts down on workload. He's also not signed beyond this year, and that means he could end up in a worse spot team-wise.

2. He hasn't shown this level of quality before, and while one can say "past performance is not indicative of future results" in many fields; it absolutely holds up when people are performing at previously seen levels.

Therefore, he's the least proven and in the least certain situation. Being on Toronto means he's only cheap if he's not doing great and/or Murray is the supposed starter.

I definitely would be looking to get him if the price was right, though.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.