Thread: Which Package??

The Great One

Default Which Package??

So my timeline is pretty clearly set at two years from now- maybe 3 depending on whether or not I can add a dman or two which is very difficult to do or how long my guys take to develop. In the meantime I'm looking at moving a guy many people would suggest not to in a rebuild- but given that timeline j think I can add a significant amount of value as each package offers a guy who could be at least as good as necas and I can add some real value for that wait time which I have to endure anyways. Thats the logic- heres the options:

Rossi Tolvanen and one of Smith York or Perunovich

Or

Slafkovsky Gauthier and a 1st in next years entry draft that looks to be in the 8-12 range.

Package 1- I'm a big Rossi fan- and have not given up on his upside. I believe he can replace Necas as my C2 behind Hughes and we only start 2 centers. With Wright and KJ in the mix I feel like thatd be a strong group. Tolvanens a guy I really like and I think inside two years he could be a goal heavy 70 point guy with upside from there. Adding any of those D would be a coup. Smith is a gamble and hes helping the other team no so hes the lesst likely to comeback. I like York but he doesn't shoot a ton. I think I'd like to roll the dice on Perunovich despite his recent injury woes- I think he has the best upside but maybe the most probable downside as well lol! But im a fan of big swings...

Package 2- Id be getting Slafkovsky back as the replacement for Necas. Wingers are a lot easier to find than centers but we start 3 and at least one flex forward- sometimes 2 so if you have some very good ones you can usuly fit them in. In a sog and goal heavy format slaf is a risk but the upside he presents is basically ideal. An active winger group anchored by lafreniere and slafkovsky sounds great to me! Gauthier is listed as a C and from ny readings I think they will really try and keep him there in Philly. Its not a true multi cat league but with rewards for pims and sogs guys like B Tkachuk are very big producers. If he has a profile of 30 goals and 300+ sogs then hes a beast haha!! I would almost certainly use the draft pick on a dman and from my reading I like the Swedish guy...

Neither has been offered yet. Package 1 is being considered and package 2 was outright rejected but he did say in a different comment that hes still very interested in Necas. If he were to come around on the price I need to know which trade benefits me more?

Off the top of my head I like the first one for a couple reasons. The Rossi factor- i think he's got a safe floor for fantasy and has the upside to be better than Necas. Not saying hs a lock to do so (or even close to that) but it could happen hypothetically. I think adding a dman closer to the NHL is a key factor. Lastly I worry about Slafkovskys development- 400 games for a big man is a long time. The thing people forget to factor in is that if these guys take awhile their value dips dramatically as owners get nervous whether or not they're a bust- like Laffy and kakko!! So part of me doesn't want to be on the hook that way and part of me wonders if the price is doomed to come down on Slafkovsky if I might not have a shot at him down the line for a less critical asset than Necas. Id still be willing to offer value but I just get the feeling Slafs development has a better chance of being a more difficult one fraught with perceived setbacks and a longer wait time which could affect his trade value or his perceived value to a fantasy team. With Rossi I dont have a crystal ball but I really feel like he could be the kind of guy who hits the ground running as early as next year.

Anyways thoughts??

The Great One

Default Re: Which Package??

I’ll respond but you have me on ignore. I prefer the Slaf option but it’s impossible to evaluate without knowing what you’re paying for these pieces.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dude Necas is what 24? He will be an excellent piece in your rebuild. I went the route you are before always chasing the next big prospect. You get stuck in a cycle of trading your up and coming and established players for the next big rook. It doesn’t work! What is exactly your plan for this rebuild? You would keep Kuzmenko over Necas? Kuzmenko has 2-3 years of prime left IF (and it’s a big IF) he continues scoring at this pace. Necas is scoring at the same pace and hasn’t even hit his prime yet. I’m just not sure I understand the logic in that. Slaf is a looong way from his prime and breaking out and honestly I think Rossi is too as he is small. I’d be keeping Necas but that’s just me.

The Great One

Welcome to the Fighting Emu school of fantasy hockey.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    Dude Necas is what 24? He will be an excellent piece in your rebuild. I went the route you are before always chasing the next big prospect. You get stuck in a cycle of trading your up and coming and established players for the next big rook. It doesn’t work! What is exactly your plan for this rebuild? You would keep Kuzmenko over Necas? Kuzmenko has 2-3 years of prime left IF (and it’s a big IF) he continues scoring at this pace. Necas is scoring at the same pace and hasn’t even hit his prime yet. I’m just not sure I understand the logic in that. Slaf is a looong way from his prime and breaking out and honestly I think Rossi is too as he is small. I’d be keeping Necas but that’s just me.
    You don't know the format- how many we protect- thats a pretty hot take. I asked to pick a side- lol! I know a lot of people.dont understand it but if I can get a guy who strongly projects to be a reasonable facsimile of the guy I'm traded and I can get two more elite assets im gonna do that. When do I stop- the same time I was always going to stop haha! By next year if I were to flip a proven asset- and I dont move them willy nilly- we start 2 cs and my cs are necas wroght kj and krebs with a strong possibility of adding zacha or rasmussen-id look for a guy who would provide that production in one year not two. Of I can't find an asset like that I'll hold tight. I've done this before- contrary to popular opinion you can trade young assets in a rebuild- I really believe its a detriment to not consider it.

In any case I just shouldn't have posted that part. I'm leaning Rossi way...

The Great One

Anyways I know you're trying to help and im not keen on having this debate again anywaus- I've got a method to my madness here and it hasn't failed me too often yet. Zigging when these boards told me to zag is how I got Jack Hughes last year by "giving up way too much value for a guy who might never produce". I believe in Rossi the same way- he's got such a safe floor that necas lite is basically the worst outcome haha! I strongly feel like he's got a much higher upside and if I can add tolvanen and perunovich to that its a gamble im willing to make.

Truthfully this idea that you can't move a young asset in a rebuild is mystifying to me though- id actually be shocked if he goes for this- thats a ton of value. Rossi and perunovich become free keeps on our farm and tolvanen is such a great buy low candidate right now. I honestly think we should bookmark this page. Instead of throwing vitriol right now let's just check back in two years. If any one player breaks out- i break even- i just need one. If two break out- im well ahead of where I started and remember my Cd are pretty well covered- we start 2!! If all three guys break out like they can?? Then one "risky" trade puts me from "one of a bunch of teams that can make some noise in two years" to "top of the pack". Like you see that right? You're just averse to the gamble? Finding spots where you can gamble properly and make more value than normal is the key here- just like poker. You don't chase every straight and flush draw out there. Rossi is an extremely good gamble. Tolvanen is an extremely safe gamble. Perunovich is... a high payout gamble lol!! Wed never be able to ask for this much for an aging player or a fringe guy. Movimg necas whose producing right now is the only way we get this kind of relatively safe and maximized return on investment. I opulent recommend this with any player and im fact I just cited why slaf might not be ideal but there are times it makes sense. It might look dumb or ill advised- but there's a lot of thought put into this. We're not talking like tomasino, marchenko and Merkley here lol! I need ONE asset to pay off to break even and I have two coming back that are likely well over 70% each to break right and one of the highest rated d prospects out there

No im not putting a lot of stock in kuzmenko as a keeper. I dont what he is yet but I'm not writing him in as a core piece of my team.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    You don't know the format- how many we protect- thats a pretty hot take. I asked to pick a side- lol! I know a lot of people.dont understand it but if I can get a guy who strongly projects to be a reasonable facsimile of the guy I'm traded and I can get two more elite assets im gonna do that. When do I stop- the same time I was always going to stop haha! By next year if I were to flip a proven asset- and I dont move them willy nilly- we start 2 cs and my cs are necas wroght kj and krebs with a strong possibility of adding zacha or rasmussen-id look for a guy who would provide that production in one year not two. Of I can't find an asset like that I'll hold tight. I've done this before- contrary to popular opinion you can trade young assets in a rebuild- I really believe its a detriment to not consider it.

In any case I just shouldn't have posted that part. I'm leaning Rossi way...
    And hey it’s your team my man. I just don’t see how you’ll ever come out of the rebuild that way. You may be getting elite assets - but they’re just that - assets. And until you get elite production you can’t win a title! And isn’t that the point of fantasy hockey? But if I had to pick a side I’m going Rossi side I think with a side of York.

The Great One

So to be clear- I had necas plus put up for this package. The plus was just krebs but I think that matters. This thread made me take krebs out and I think did give me some added perspective which I DO absolutely appreciate.

I think my logic is sound but I did some digging after all the kerfuffle and I did find some cause for concern. One of my favorite things about necas is his new penchant for shooting- 8th among centers- so I asked "how much of a shooter is Rossi?". I knew he had 16 points in 18 ahl games which is not great but like many other people I thought it was not bad either given the context of his life threatening illness last year. So I said its a short sample and who know what his role in the ahl was but I was hoping for at least 52 sogs. That seemed reasonable at 3 shots per game. If he ends up being a 90 plus point player that will mitigate some of the problems associated with low sogs but 3 per game would be a great start. I USUALLY look for two and a half as a benchmark OR 200 over a full 82 game schedule. He had... 34. Thats less than 2 per game at the ahl. I love me some Rossi and I think his upside is the real deal but in a season where he's cruising along at basically a ppg pace- doing that comfortably at under 2 sogs per game is danger zone like crazy. I still maintain low volume shooters will always struggle to score as much as even a 200 sog guy but in our format it goes beyond that
    Goals are worth 4, assists 3 and sogs... 1!! They're worth a ton lol! I know he can add sogs and maybe its small sample size but this really does go along with the pure playmaker moniker hes generally billed as. Points wise and upside wise- safety wise i think Rossi is a great choice but after doing my due diligence I think he's actually a poor choice based on sogs. If he can climb to 200 and he scores at a better than a ppg pace like I believe he can he can be pretty close to necas but all of a sudden were adding a bunch of caveats when the whole idea was to find a guy who didn't have many to begin with. For this reason I think Rossi is the wrong guy to pull off a gamble like this with in ny format.

I took out krebs on my end and I replaced wallstedt on his. I'm well aware of the timelime for goalies and im ok waiting 4-5 years if its for quality. I don't think the other gm thinks it will take that long from our talks and there's a strong possibility he rejects out of hand as hes got a plan for his goalie progression.

In any case thanks for the extra set of eyes. I might still consider something resembling this but the additions would have to be stronger or the main piece replaced to a better option- he has Cooley who has his own question marks but ultimately may be a better fit...

The Great One

Another direction I'm strongly considering is johnston, werenski and a pick. I'm a huge johnstong fan lol! I know he's likely a ways a way from hitting any kind of real top gear but I think he could be a useful 60ish point guy as early as next year. Its hard to overstate how big defense are in this league. Its a 6 × 4 split from forward to d and without cats like blocks and hits it really leans heavily on point producing dmen. I asked for these two and a first and it was rejected out of hand. I'm thinking of offering just these two or these two and a third...