Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Provorov won't support Gay Pride

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Provorov won't support Gay Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It makes me sad that people think this is simply about screaming "I'm Gay" to everyone...
    Does it also make you sad to see all the backlash against Provorov?

This whole debacle due to one individual not wanting to wear a shirt and actively show support for a specific political movement. It's beyond reason and bordering on persecution of an individual. Yea, it's ironic, but I won't support that. It's the new Catholic Church, just a different time and movement, same hypocrisy.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Anybody who thinks that the purpose of the LGBT movement is to support people who feel the need to announce their sexual orientation to the world in a loud fashion, is either out of touch with the reality of the abhorrent treatment that members of the LGBTQ community have suffered for thousands of years (Largely, at the hands of those in the religious community I might add), or they are insistent on downplaying those atrocities. It makes me sad that people think this is simply about screaming "I'm Gay" to everyone...

Rylant
    You're wasting your time and energy on people who have no desire to change.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Anybody who thinks that the purpose of the LGBT movement is to support people who feel the need to announce their sexual orientation to the world in a loud fashion, is either out of touch with the reality of the abhorrent treatment that members of the LGBTQ community have suffered for thousands of years (Largely, at the hands of those in the religious community I might add), or they are insistent on downplaying those atrocities. It makes me sad that people think this is simply about screaming "I'm Gay" to everyone...

Rylant
    Why would you think that anyone is downplaying the wrongs that have been done on this minority through the years? In fact, if you're going to be talking about religion, there is a huge list of wrongs done to many communities by organized religion through the years and continue to this age.

I think everyone should be given equal opportunity to succeed and have equal right under the laws regardless of what their sexual orientation is. Emphasis on educating people is what we should be focusing, not misdirected pride and shaming everyone who doesn't announce "I love gays".
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Why would you think that anyone is downplaying the wrongs that have been done on this minority through the years? In fact, if you're going to be talking about religion, there is a huge list of wrongs done to many communities by organized religion through the years and continue to this age.

I think everyone should be given equal opportunity to succeed and have equal right under the laws regardless of what their sexual orientation is. Emphasis on educating people is what we should be focusing, not misdirected pride and shaming everyone who doesn't announce "I love gays".
    You almost had it right, right up until the, "misdirected pride and shaming everyone who doesn't announce "I love gays". Sigh.

Wearing a gay pride jersey is simply a symbol that says, "I support the belief that everyone should be treated equal regardless of their sexual orientation". That is all. Nobody is saying you gotta, "love gays".

Why is it so hard for some people to parse this together?
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    You almost had it right, right up until the, "misdirected pride and shaming everyone who doesn't announce "I love gays". Sigh.

Wearing a gay pride jersey is simply a symbol that says, "I support the belief that everyone should be treated equal regardless of their sexual orientation". That is all. Nobody is saying you gotta, "love gays".

Why is it so hard for some people to parse this together?
    There have been many minority groups that have been mistreated throughout history. Should I decorate myself with all kinds of symbols and tokens so that everyone who meets me knows immediately I am not a homophobe, racist, or whatever?

I AM of the belief that everyone should be treated equal regardless of their sexual orientation. Why do I need to take part in parades or decorate myself to prove this? And I certainly don't think we should ostracize people who don't think the same way; everyone has their right to believe in what they want to believe. We should aim to educate and show why it is beneficial for all of us in society to treat people equally regardless of their sexual preferences (oh wait, what about bestiality; where do you stand on that?).

By the way, "you almost had it right" is exactly the kind of woke bullshit that is off-putting to many people. The woke crowd feel they are better and know better than everyone and are the most sympathetic with minority groups in recorded history.

Dobber Sports All-Star

There have been many minority groups that have been mistreated throughout history. Should I decorate myself with all kinds of symbols and tokens so that everyone who meets me knows immediately I am not a homophobe, racist, or whatever?

I AM of the belief that everyone should be treated equal regardless of their sexual orientation. Why do I need to take part in parades or decorate myself to prove this? And I certainly don't think we should ostracize people who don't think the same way; everyone has their right to believe in what they want to believe. We should aim to educate and show why it is beneficial for all of us in society to treat people equally regardless of their sexual preferences (oh wait, what about bestiality; where do you stand on that?).

By the way, "you almost had it right" is exactly the kind of woke bullshit that is off-putting to many people. The woke crowd feel they are better and know better than everyone and are the most sympathetic with minority groups in recorded history.
    Ah there it is. This time you are not even close to the mark.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Initiate

Actually, he (VincentVega) is SPOT ON !!!

Dobber Sports Stud

can someone please define what "woke" or "wokeism" means?

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Wizard

I get it, you have the moral high ground because you're woke.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    can someone please define what "woke" or "wokeism" means?
    The state of an individual being so "self aware" and "socially aware", that the they become completely oblivious to the issue, intention, or objective at hand.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The state of an individual being so "self aware" and "socially aware", that the they become completely oblivious to the issue, intention, or objective at hand.
    Congratulations, by defining the term yourself you’ve demonstrated that everyone using the term in this thread (including yourself) is using it incorrectly. Nobody is doing what you’ve just defined.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I get it, you have the moral high ground because you're woke.
    No. It just happens that my side of the argument, the side fighting for decency, equality and inclusion, is right. You can't see it. I see now that you never will see it. Hell, a vast swath of the population can't see it. But that's ok. In time this type of antiquated and myopic thinking will be a thing of the past.

Enjoy!
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I have read about 75% of this thread, so I may have missed something’s. I personally can not support Provorov in this instance. There is a time and place. He is on the job. It is nothing more than a uniform. He is wearing that to represent his team. What if that uniform becomes the 3rd Jersey? Does he have the right to wear something different during a game? There are so many things being done in protest or for personal reasons. Sorry, you are getting paid good money. Don’t like it, find another job. The one that kills me the most. Protesting the flag. Ok, you are going to protest the very thing that allows you to protest. Talk about hilarious! Why do we even play Anthems? How many players do not hold citizenship to the country’s Anthem? Support or don’t what you want on your own time. Leave the drama at home when you are on the job. I am not interested in the BS. I don’t want to hear about it over and over. I just want to watch the game.
    You can never have too much information. You can only ever misuse the information you were given.

Dobber Sports Wizard

No. It just happens that my side of the argument, the side fighting for decency, equality and inclusion, is right. You can't see it. I see now that you never will see it. Hell, a vast swath of the population can't see it. But that's ok. In time this type of antiquated and myopic thinking will be a thing of the past.

Enjoy!
    I can tell you that I know much better than you what I believe in and that is decency, equality (of opportunity, not outcome!) and inclusion. How exactly did you arrive at the conclusion from my posts that I am against equality of opportunity and inclusion of all people regardless of their sexual preference? Because I won't wear a shirt that says Pride on it?

What exactly is it you think I, and a large swath of the population, can't see?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Congratulations, by defining the term yourself you’ve demonstrated that everyone using the term in this thread (including yourself) is using it incorrectly. Nobody is doing what you’ve just defined.
    This was actually a direct copy and paste from Urban dictionary so there was quite a bit of sarcasm in it, however I will tell you that sarcasm is justified.