Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Provorov won't support Gay Pride

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Provorov won't support Gay Pride

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    What I take away from most people these days - "I support diversity...just not diversity of thought". How dare you not support the current thing or not wear the ribbon or kneel for the anthem, you bigoted, racist nazi. Why does everyone have to be in alignment on every issue? Respect the fact that people can have other opinions/thoughts that don't align with your own. Peace.
    If he doesn't have to respect them, why do I have to respect him? Free speech works both ways. That's why it has become one of the most hypocritical narratives. Complaining about "wokeness" or "cancel culture" is still complaining about free speech. No one goes to jail for general crap behaviour, so they're not losing their free speech. But they can't have it if I don't have the right to say I don't like them or support them. I can also say I won't support anyone that does.
    H2H CONTRACT
    C - Larkin 1, MacKinnon 1, Hischier 2
    W- Pastranak 1, Kreider1, Benn 1, Schmaltz 1,Teravinen 2, Skinner1, T. Moore [color=red]2[/color
    D - Toews 2, DeAngelo 3, Faulk 2, Morrissey 1Spence 4, Marino 1, Mike Reilly 1
    G- Hill 1Jarry 3Vanecek 4
    MINORS- Slafkovsky, Wallstedt, Gauthier, O. Moore

SKATER +-/G/A/SOG/blocks
    GOALIE GAA/W/S

Playing roster: 2C,3W,1F,4D,1G

* length of contract

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    So has Kadri had to participate in one of these nights?
    Why are you assuming he wouldn't? Because he's Muslim? Most people of faith don't choose to lessen others' rights. He is the head of the diversity alliance.
    H2H CONTRACT
    C - Larkin 1, MacKinnon 1, Hischier 2
    W- Pastranak 1, Kreider1, Benn 1, Schmaltz 1,Teravinen 2, Skinner1, T. Moore [color=red]2[/color
    D - Toews 2, DeAngelo 3, Faulk 2, Morrissey 1Spence 4, Marino 1, Mike Reilly 1
    G- Hill 1Jarry 3Vanecek 4
    MINORS- Slafkovsky, Wallstedt, Gauthier, O. Moore

SKATER +-/G/A/SOG/blocks
    GOALIE GAA/W/S

Playing roster: 2C,3W,1F,4D,1G

* length of contract

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mormerod View Post
    Why are you assuming he wouldn't? Because he's Muslim? Most people of faith don't choose to lessen others' rights. He is the head of the diversity alliance.
    Try following along in the whole conversation before plucking out a sentence and commenting on it out of context.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    There's zero surprises in this thread. The same shitty people defending other shitty people with their same shitty views. Like clockwork.
    The self-awareness is off the charts with this one!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    This goes beyond that, and I hope you know better. This is not just an example of Provorov not regularly attending LGBT meetings. He flat out refused to support it. It's pretty clear that he is "against it". Wearing the jersey doesn't make you gay, it says that you support the LGBT people around the world to exist without persecution. Religious people can wear this jersey to support other human beings, even if they don't agree with their lifestyle. In Russia, gay people are thrown off buildings and burned alive. Refusing to wear the jersey is a bigger statement than you are suggesting.

Rylant
    Im not specifically talking about Provorov because I dont know him. With all of these situations we discuss, I like to put myself into it and comment from that perspective because its the only one I really understand. All I can say about him is that no one gave a rip about the guy until this came out and now he is suddenly the scourge of the NHL because of one thing.

Your comment that I bolded - can you please explain how being disingenuous about your support a movement has any positive benefit to that movement? To me that is the worst kind of "support", one that really doesnt exist.

Also, I think you are making a mistake to assume someone is counter to a stance if they dont provide their own, its better to discuss and learn what the person actually thinks via dialog and if they don't want to share, that should be fine too, they dont owe you anything. Earlier I said I would not be willing to visibly display my support for initiative XXXXX simply because my employer told me to. That doesnt mean I dont personally support initiative XXXXXX, it just means I dont want to do it on behalf of my employer as it is not part of the reason I was hired.

Its a very interesting study, just here on this forum. I refuse to support any of these social initiates and im not religious while other person supports initiatives they dont even believe in and are religious. I dont think anyone is really wrong here as long as they aren't clearly and actively against these initiatives or doing actual harm.

I take issue with a witch hunt on a single person who has been strong enough to stand by their beliefs (beliefs dont have to founded by religion imo, they can come from personal experience) just because those beliefs are not in line with the masses. I dont comprehend how people holding the pitchforks are "better" than the person they are trying to burn. That's all.

J
    Just ignore me. Im talking about somethign else really.

Dobber Sports Ninja

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mormerod View Post
    If he doesn't have to respect them, why do I have to respect him? Free speech works both ways. That's why it has become one of the most hypocritical narratives. Complaining about "wokeness" or "cancel culture" is still complaining about free speech. No one goes to jail for general crap behaviour, so they're not losing their free speech. But they can't have it if I don't have the right to say I don't like them or support them. I can also say I won't support anyone that does.
    You don't have to respect anyone, but people should respect that others may not share 100% of their beliefs. I don't believe Provorov was complaining about wokeness or cancel culture, he just didn't want to wear a pride jersey.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

Who really actually gives a shit about how Provorov feels about Pride? Nobody.

The media is out of control on these issues. Must be a slow day on the Harry and Megan front...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

1) This isn’t like your employer requesting you dress in drag or wear a dress for international women’s day, it’s like your employer asking you to wear pink on international women’s day, or orange on truth and reconciliation day.

2) Choosing not to participate and getting scratched isn’t like getting suspended or fired from your job, it’s like getting paid time off to not come to work for that specific day.

Both of these suggestions are asinine false equivalencies that don’t hold up to a shred of critical thought.

Dobber Sports Deity

At the end of the day, has this really affected anyone in any way?

I'm betting no. You either supported the LGBQT community before this incident or you didn't. I doubt this discussion going on around the hockey community has moved anyone to change their point of view.

If you support it, you support it. If you dont, you don't. Life goes on.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    At the end of the day, has this really affected anyone in any way? -
    Have you thought that maybe it is affecting some in the LGBTQ+ community?

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Have you thought that maybe it is affecting some in the LGBTQ+ community?
    Of course. Do you think Provorov wearing or not wearing a jersey for a warmup has affected them? Serious question. Again, I'm betting on no.

One of my closest cousins is gay. He loves hockey and thinks this whole fiasco is hilarious but he appreciates the support the community is receiving.

I'd say the majority of those in the LGBTQ community feel this way:

https://www.newsweek.com/im-gay-leav...pinion-1775084

Is there "some" who are affected by it? Probably but I am dubious that the majority are hurt by his actions. You'll never please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Good discussion either way.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Of course. Do you think Provorov wearing or not wearing a jersey for a warmup has affected them? Serious question. Again, I'm betting on no.
    i think its quite possible. It has become a fiasco but a fiasco that highlights that we, as human beings, have a long way to go in recognizing equality.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    i think its quite possible. It has become a fiasco but a fiasco that highlights that we, as human beings, have a long way to go in recognizing equality.
    It's become a fiasco because the media is spinning it into one. You know who you don't hear complaining to the media about all this? The LGBTQ community.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's become a fiasco because the media is spinning it into one. You know who you don't hear complaining to the media about all this? The LGBTQ community.
    If that particular community made a big deal about every single time people treated them as lesser individuals they would have nothing else to do with their time. Don't take the lack of response as anything other than "Yeah, what's new." It's not because it doesn't matter. It's because it's still so commonplace in society.