Thread: Can this team compete next season??

The Great One

Default Can this team compete next season??

So I was originally targeting the season following next but I had conceded that even then- i won't be making a serious run at contention- just that id me a lot more conpetetive. Now it will clearly take at least one or two more key trades (adding a dman or two is an absolute mus)- I feel like within the parameters of our league- I might be able to...

So the important thing to keep in mind is that although its a deep league with 18 teams, a ten man bench and an unlimited farm (3round prospect draft) its actually a fairly limited setup in terms of starting lineup. By far the hardest hole to fill is active D- where we start 4 and without peripherals like hits or blocks- scoring D are a must.

We start 2 active c, 3 active w, and one flex forward. After that its 4d 2g and one more flex position with the catch being that the flex can be a d or a g and with those positions being heavily weighted its pretty common to see them added. I should stipulate though that many top teams use that extra flex for another forward as goalies tend to be hoarded and scoring d are more precious than (insert racially sexually and politically neutral meyaphor/pun here). The top teams seem to focus on getting the very best players for their active roster, adding an insurance policy at each position and then using the rest of the bench to gamble on upside or horde keepers and dmen lol! My point is- I'm wondering if my active lineup looks in any way competetive??

C- Hughes, Necas Rasmussen
    W- Fiala, Kuzmenko, Bertuzzi, Eberle
    D- Clarke, Hughes, Xhekaj, Benning, Benning
    G- Swayman, Petersen
    Bench- KJ, Wright, Stankovem, N Robertson, Holtz, Hayton,

So if we start at C I think Hughes is a great start and we only need 2cs. Necas is a great number two but even if I move him for Rossi plus this year I think Hughes/Rossi will be competetive by next year.

At w there are holes but wing is by far the easiest position to fill each year. For example this year I added kuzmenko, Eberle, kubalik and traded bertuzzi for fair value. Fiala and even kuzmenko might be traded but I've got so many guys who could break out and im just not especially worried as there are more than enough wingers to go around.

D is the biggest issue but im doing my damndest to add werenski, drysdale, Smith and or York. I think xhekaj could be a guy by next year. I'm secretly hopeful about Benning (I think he's the incumbent for pp1 if/when EK is moved.

Swayman should be a guy I can lean on by next year I think. One of petersen, blackwood or schmid could sneak into the second spot. I really only need one very good goalie with two just being extra sauce (4life) on top.

So with a key dman or two is this team a contender? Oh yea and a top 4 pick will be added too...

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Can this team compete next season??

No goalie,, no win

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Honestly, no I don't think you are going to be able to compete next season.

Your team is filled with way too many young guns. While they all have high ceilings, they aren't going to producing at levels that would put you in contention.
    SalaryKeeper ROTO-Add/Drops/Trades require IRL $
    12 Teams - 32 Player Roster -20 Active - Min 5D to Max 7D - Min 11F to Max 13F
    16 Keepers (G=2 Keeper spots)
    83.5M Weekly AAV - Bench does not count towards salary cap

F/D: G, A, PPA, PPG, +/-, Hits, BLKS, Shifts (0.5), TOI (0.5), PEN
    G: GAA, Saves, SPCT, TOI, Wins, SO, OTL (0.5)

Roster
    F: MacKinnon, JT Miller, Kaprizov,
    E.Kane, Caufield, Eichel, Batherson, Malkin, Dach
    Kempe, Greig, Tolvanen, Zary, P.Kane, Foegele, Dowd

D: Theodore, Chychrun, Drysdale, McAvoy, Matheson, Okhotiuk, M. Roy, Fehervary, Perbix, Martinez, M. Anderson

G: Thompson, Vanecek, UPL, Lyon, Binnington

Dobber Sports All-Star

With patience and some good dealing/upgrading you are about 2 years away (possibly 3). That team lacks a true everyday goalie which Swayman probably won’t be next year as long as the possible Vezina winner is ahead of him. I like your forwards but the backend needs a lot of help. Good luck.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

The Great One

Thanks fuys- I dont disagree- think I just needed a reality check...