Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Edition - Dobber WJC Pool

Administrator

Default Re: 2023 Edition - Dobber WJC Pool

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Is anyone willing to help out with this this year?

I am definitely willing to set up the spreadsheet and do the before hand work.

Its the tracking when the tournament starts that is hard for me as I am usually not around the office for those couple weeks.
    Shoot me a DM with more specifics on what you'd need help with.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    Looking forward to defending my championship in a few weeks. This pool always makes the world juniors even better.

I brought this up a few years ago but it was too close to the tournament to really gain any traction, but what if we had 2 forward captains? Looking over things, the captains this year will most probably be something like Cutter Gauthier, Will Smith, Matt Savoie, Joakim Kemell and Jiri Kulich, maybe Noah Ostlund). The Americans alone will have players on their top two lines (Snuggerud, Leonard, Perreault) that will most probably be on at least 75% of the rosters, if not more. Canada has Geekie, Sweden has a few. What if within that second tier we also could only choose one? That would create a lot more variance between rosters.

So something like this:

F Captain 1:
    Cutter Gauthier
    Will Smith
    Matthew Savoie
    Jiri Kulich
    Joakim Kemell
    Noah Ostlund

F Captain 2:
    Ryan Leonard
    Gabe Perreault
    Jimmy Snuggerud
    Conor Geekie
    Jonathan Lekkerimaki
    Liam Ohgren

D Captain:
    Tristan Luneau
    Danton Mateychuk
    Lane Hutson
    Axel Sandin-Pelikka

Now, instead of guys filling out their 5 Americans with Leonard, Perreault and Snuggerud, let us have to choose between a possibly third line Nazar, fourth line Moore, guess who will be on the first line with Gauthier and Snuggerud, decide on possibly using all 3 captains on Americans (who could have an all time great offense this year) and only have 2 more spots for Americans left to fill out the rest of the roster, etc.

Any thoughts? And if you guys are into this idea, any changes you'd make to these captains (Celebrini? Maybe less Swedes?)?

Not sure who is organizing the pool this year, but I can help with calculating results once all the entries are in Excel.
    Anyone have any further thoughts on this?

Thoughts about the 2 forward captain groups vs 1 forward captain group.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    Looking forward to defending my championship in a few weeks. This pool always makes the world juniors even better.

I brought this up a few years ago but it was too close to the tournament to really gain any traction, but what if we had 2 forward captains? Looking over things, the captains this year will most probably be something like Cutter Gauthier, Will Smith, Matt Savoie, Joakim Kemell and Jiri Kulich, maybe Noah Ostlund). The Americans alone will have players on their top two lines (Snuggerud, Leonard, Perreault) that will most probably be on at least 75% of the rosters, if not more. Canada has Geekie, Sweden has a few. What if within that second tier we also could only choose one? That would create a lot more variance between rosters.

So something like this:

F Captain 1:
    Cutter Gauthier
    Will Smith
    Matthew Savoie
    Jiri Kulich
    Joakim Kemell
    Noah Ostlund

F Captain 2:
    Ryan Leonard
    Gabe Perreault
    Jimmy Snuggerud
    Conor Geekie
    Jonathan Lekkerimaki
    Liam Ohgren

D Captain:
    Tristan Luneau
    Danton Mateychuk
    Lane Hutson
    Axel Sandin-Pelikka

Now, instead of guys filling out their 5 Americans with Leonard, Perreault and Snuggerud, let us have to choose between a possibly third line Nazar, fourth line Moore, guess who will be on the first line with Gauthier and Snuggerud, decide on possibly using all 3 captains on Americans (who could have an all time great offense this year) and only have 2 more spots for Americans left to fill out the rest of the roster, etc.

Any thoughts? And if you guys are into this idea, any changes you'd make to these captains (Celebrini? Maybe less Swedes?)?

Not sure who is organizing the pool this year, but I can help with calculating results once all the entries are in Excel.
    Anyone have any further thoughts on this?

Thoughts about the 2 forward captain groups vs 1 forward captain group.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

I think two would be fun, Leafs to more differentiation between rosters
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

I could see doing two captain groups, but go to far with groups and you just become a box pool. Also worth tweaking the groups as we get closer and know the rosters better. For instance, doesn't sound like Kemell is getting released for Finland, and right now Canada has an opening with hopes of adding a forward from the NHL (Benson or Poitras) who would be captain material.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I could see doing two captain groups, but go to far with groups and you just become a box pool. Also worth tweaking the groups as we get closer and know the rosters better. For instance, doesn't sound like Kemell is getting released for Finland, and right now Canada has an opening with hopes of adding a forward from the NHL (Benson or Poitras) who would be captain material.
    The groups I made were just to get the discussion going. Absolutely agree it shouldn't get too long cause then it just becomes a box pool, which isn't the point here. And I'm sure there will still be a lot of overlap between rosters. But at least this creates a bit more variance so that not everyone has Leonard, Perrault and snuggerud, for example.
    And I made the groups a few days ago before we knew about kemell. We could just take him out of group 1 and then I think those are the big 5 of the tournament.
    Wasn't sure now far to go with group 2 as there's a big difference between say than Leonard and lekkerimaki, but I suspect most rosters will have lekkerimaki as well and maybe teams won't want to waste a captain o an American when there are.many other options there with Moore, Nazar, haggens, Howard and more.
    And the tsn insiders jus said that extra Canada spot is most likely going to a chl player as Benson and poitras unlikely to be released. But we don't need to have a final list for another few days.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

I agree with this.

When I watch the tournament, I don't want to be cheering for a 3rd line. I want the point guys, the power play guys.

In years past we had a draft where each player could only be picked once.

I think that is what needs to be set up again if you want to have diversity and not have players playing.

I like the way that it has been done in the past where there is 1 captain forward (group of 5 or 6) and 1 captain D (group of 4-6)

I don't mind everyone having a certain player. Sometimes people will take a chance on not picking a certain player and it will work out, sometimes it doesn't.

Also the max of 5 per country helps with creating the diversity as well.
    Not everyone will have the exact same 5 Americans and 5 Canadians beause of who they picked as captain and such.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Monster

I don't mind everyone having a certain player. Sometimes people will take a chance on not picking a certain player and it will work out, sometimes it doesn't.
    That's how I feel about it too. People can take a risk by, for instance, taking Cooley over Bedard. It could be the way to get ahead of the rest of the pack.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Icon

whatever format i want in...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think this is the first time that I have realized that people do WJC hockey fantasy. I might try it, but we'll see. Life is crazy right now.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

This makes the tournament even more fun. Count me in!
    12-team Dynasty Salary
    G-A-H-B/W-SO
    Crosby, Pavelski, Nelson, Hagel, Tarasenko, Bertuzzi, Teravainen, Joshua, Paul, Drury, Holtz, Kasper, Dorofeyev, Rosén, Brindley
    Dunn, Carlson, Sergachev, Nurse, Trouba, Skjei, Harley, Korczak, Söderström, Luneau, Pickering, Behrens, Rinzel
    Bobrovsky, Samsonov, Woll, Patera, Garand

10-team Dynasty Roto
    G-A-FOW-STP-H-B/W-GAA-Sv%
    Matthews, Hyman, Bratt, Guentzel, Thompson, Horvat, Lindholm, Buchnevich, Toffoli, Konecny, Rust, Peterka, Neighbours, Kemell, Snuggerud, Bourque, Wood, Öhgren
    Makar, Josi, Dobson, Pietrangelo, Hanifin, Faber, Spence, Edvinsson, Zellweger, Willander, Bonk, Casey
    Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Georgiev,
    Wallstedt

I am working on the entry form and getting the thread set up.

Hopefully I can get it all done up today. Stay Tuned.

and any further help in the captains would be appreciated!

​​

Administrator

I am working on the entry form and getting the thread set up.

Hopefully I can get it all done up today. Stay Tuned.

and any further help in the captains would be appreciated!
    I'll spin together a list of my captain suggestions shortly.

I'll spin together a list of my captain suggestions shortly.
    Thanks!! We can discuss via PM if you prefer too!

​​

Administrator

My suggested Captains:

F
    Cutter Gauthier
    Jimmy Snuggerud
    Jonathan Lekkerimaki
    Matthew Savoie
    Jiri Kulich
    Konsta Helenius

D

Lane Hutson
    Seamus Casey
    Axel Sandin Pellikka
    Denton Mateychuk
    Tristan Luneau

D seems really thin this year, but there's a whole psychology that could go into effect here where I might be inclined to take out Casey and Luneau as there may be a strong inclination for people to load up on forwards or G from projected strong teams rather than burn a pick on a #2 D so there's something to be debated about.

I also think you're damned if you do/damned if you don't with regard to some of the forwards you might include. If you make Kulich and Helenius a captain, they stand a strong chance of going unselected, but if you don't then they might be on every ballot. Either way, they'd be irrelevant. I'd rather lean more towards having them available in the draft pool so we aren't making the choice for people, but that stands as another debate worth having.

Great Points!

I like leaving those forwards off the captain to allow people to decide between those players or a 5th player from a powerhouse team.

I like leaving those D-men off for the same reason.

I like having less captain options and more overall options.

then its about having the right combination outside the captains as opposed to just getting the highest scoring captains.

The other Captains I had on my short list were:

Forwards -
    Connor Geekie
    Jani Nyman

​​