Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: World Cup

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: World Cup

Honest question, as a hockey fan: Why does OT continue when a goal is scored?
    I have been told this is "the way soccer is" but I just do not understand. The game is tied, so you keep playing, and then a goal is scored.... so you keep playing??
    The rules are decided in advance so it is "fair" to both sides to play out the entire OT period but again it doesn't make sense to me... When I was 7 playing any playground game everyone understood the principle of "Next Goal Wins".

I admit I do not understand the nuisances of soccer but if you told me the knockout game went into overtime and a team scored I would assume that meant game over.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Croatia is such an awful team to watch. Just absolute garbage the way they keep going through.

Good for their goalie, he's really solid. But this is quite ridiculous to be honest. Brazil is the much better team, but they just couldn't penetrate.

This is a big win for whoever wins the argentina-netherlands match, to avoid brazil.
    Brazil is better offensive team but having good, organized D takes more skill then creating offence if you have world class players. They can create on their own...defending is definitely team oriented skill with no exceptions.....Croatia is not that boring as a whole, they needed to play boring soccer today to have a chance and mission accomplished. When they needed to they got an amazing goal...

if you looking for exciting, well played soccer watch top leagues or champions league not world cup...world cup is often won by boring team...or teams that play boring style at the time...go back and watch France games from 2018...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Honest question, as a hockey fan: Why does OT continue when a goal is scored?
    I have been told this is "the way soccer is" but I just do not understand. The game is tied, so you keep playing, and then a goal is scored.... so you keep playing??
    The rules are decided in advance so it is "fair" to both sides to play out the entire OT period but again it doesn't make sense to me... When I was 7 playing any playground game everyone understood the principle of "Next Goal Wins".

I admit I do not understand the nuisances of soccer but if you told me the knockout game went into overtime and a team scored I would assume that meant game over.
    It used to be golden goal, but the rule changed a few years back to silver goal. So when it goes to OT it gets played full minutes, and then if needed penalty kicks. I'm not sure why it was switched back then. I think it probably has something to do with teams not taking chances and rather go to penalty kicks. Whereas now they take a chance to score, and then the game does open up a little bit. But the exact science, I don't know.

Dobber Sports All-Star

They used to have the “golden goal” but it actually produced more PKs than expected, both teams just (usually) kept it a midfield for time to run out. Both happy to have luck determining their fates. That changed back to 30 minutes and unlimited goals. Soccer/Futebol is primarily defensive so that’s why they brought in the golden goal. But unfortunately it didn’t really work. But I still liked it and they should bring it back.

Or shrink the number of players (like hockey) to increase chances. Having a golden goal deciding the WC is way better than going to PKs.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    They used to have the “golden goal” but it actually produced more PKs than expected, both teams just (usually) kept it a midfield for time to run out. Both happy to have luck determining their fates. That changed back to 30 minutes and unlimited goals. Soccer/Futebol is primarily defensive so that’s why they brought in the golden goal. But unfortunately it didn’t really work. But I still liked it and they should bring it back.

Or shrink the number of players (like hockey) to increase chances. Having a golden goal deciding the WC is way better than going to PKs.
    have you played soccer? thats pretty bad idea...you would kill these guys.....i mean one or 2 maybe but then it wont make much difference...if you tried to go to 5 on 5 or something around that it would be disaster, soccer against all believes is very demanding physically (cardio) and they dont take shifts...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports All-Star

I have and coached so trust me I know but I just hate the idea of teams winning and losing in PKs. Either than attrition I don’t see anything else feasible to improve the scoring chances. Of course it’s a killer on the cardio but thinking of 9v9 or each team losing 2 so 8v8 but that will never happen. Just my useless thoughts is all. I like the team that has basically dominated the game to win but as you (belexus) have said, there is a nuance to playing great D too.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports All-Star

Not a penalty. Acuna is a torrid diver and ref can’t be giving that call that far out. Doesn’t really matter though because it seems as tho the Dutch think they’re playing a friendly. Horrible and flat game by the Dutch.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports All-Star

Wow. What a free ki… um pass.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Initiate

What the **** did I just watch lol.

This is what I observed:

An incredible second half of the match
    An incredible incompetent referee (17 yellows what the hell)
    That penalty for Argentina was bogus
    Argentina deserved 2 red cards (Messi by that clear hand ball, and Paredes on that nasty tackle on Ake and subsequently hammering the ball in the dugout)
    Incredible fight by the Dutch to tie the game
    Like Feenom says, what a free kick/pass
    Constant falling/crying by Argentina players where the ref would call for that was a joke.

The Dutch deserved this one in my opinion, but the referee needed/wanted Messi to go through.

It was most definitely not boring to watch though.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Messi in the eyes of the referee

FB_IMG_1670625243917.jpg

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    What the **** did I just watch lol.

This is what I observed:

An incredible second half of the match
    An incredible incompetent referee (17 yellows what the hell)
    That penalty for Argentina was bogus
    Argentina deserved 2 red cards (Messi by that clear hand ball, and Paredes on that nasty tackle on Ake and subsequently hammering the ball in the dugout)
    Incredible fight by the Dutch to tie the game
    Like Feenom says, what a free kick/pass
    Constant falling/crying by Argentina players where the ref would call for that was a joke.

The Dutch deserved this one in my opinion, but the referee needed/wanted Messi to go through.

It was most definitely not boring to watch though.
    I take it you’re not a Messi fan, lol

I agree that a-hole who fired the ball into the bench should have been immediately red-carded. I think the rest of it you’re making a bit much, and not giving the Argentines enough credit. The Messi pass on the opening goal? Sublime. His two PKs? Awesome. And Argentina were clearly the better team in the last 15 when inexplicably they Dutch sat back.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I take it you’re not a Messi fan, lol

I agree that a-hole who fired the ball into the bench should have been immediately red-carded. I think the rest of it you’re making a bit much, and not giving the Argentines enough credit. The Messi pass on the opening goal? Sublime. His two PKs? Awesome. And Argentina were clearly the better team in the last 15 when inexplicably they Dutch sat back.
    I normally like Messi but this was clearly ridiculous.

His pass was awesome definitely
    His first penalty should have been a free kick outside the box I believe, but I cant find any form of replay (Wheres the var technology to prove me wrong here)
    His second penalty shpuld have never happened as he shpuld have been sent off with a red card but he never received a yellow for that ridicukous hand ball he made.

So no definitely not the goat messi in this game. Very dirty antics, and frankly he didnt deserve tp advance on my opinion.

Dobber Sports Padawan

anyone looking at Canada a little differently after how well Belgium, Croatia and Morocco have done, are doing?
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    anyone looking at Canada a little differently after how well Belgium, Croatia and Morocco have done, are doing?
    Not really no

Dobber Sports All-Star

At the very least Argentina should have played that extra time with a man down. That ref had a very bad game. How Messi never got a yellow for that intentional hand ball is a shame. Argentina was lucky to get through and I hope Croatia sends them home. A lot of dirty stuff going on there as Stifler said.

- Roy Kent