Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saros on waiver, who to drop

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Saros on waiver, who to drop

Hello all,

I would need some help in my goalie department.
    I'm currently standing 1st in my league so there is no panic here, but Saros has been dumped and I think it's a too good opportunity to pass (I may be wrong though).

As you can see in my sig, I currently have 3 goalies + 1 in IR so I would need to drop 1 of them to bring Saros.
    Is it worth it ?
    If yes, who to dump ?

As far as context goes, I drafted Jarry and Swayman, added Samsonov for Swayman, then added Skinner and Husso after Samsonov went down...
    Jarry is my worst goalie at the moment but I see him capable of turning the table, as is Saros.
    I'm quite pleased with Skinner as he's putting solid numbers and maybe even stealing the starting job in Edmonton.
    Husso didn't get me any wins since I picked him up (3 games) and got abused in that 8 GA loss but I know he is a good goalie (had him last year) and is the N° 1.
    I was pleased with Samsonov before his injury but now that Murray is back, I don't really know what to expect.

Also note that I like to keep my number of picks for the playoffs weeks (4 picks allowed/week)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1 Year, 8 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 18 waivers picks allowed (2 picks used)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, +/-, Hits // W, SV%, SHO

4C: Aho, Barkov, Lindholm, Kopitar
    9W: Rantanen, Bratt, Panarin, Kaprizov, Forsberg, Stützle(C), Svechnikov, Nichuskin, Raymond
    6D: Hedman, Sergachev, Heiskanen, R. Anderson, Gudas, (Empty)
    2G: Saros, Vanecek, Skinner
    2BN: Laine(C,W), Batherson(W)
    IR:

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Saros on waiver, who to drop

Welcome to the forums.

Not sure if you posted from a cell phone or not, but your signature didn't show up in your post.

I am going to assume Samsonov is still a drop option for Saros? If so, he's my choice here.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Personally, I'd drop Jarry and add Saros.
    I'm really not a big fan of PIT thinking that Petry was going to be a better play-in than John Marino.
    I think that's having some impact on team chemistry.
    You mess with a whole D-pairing and a key player in front of a goalie's eyes.
    I didn't like it then... I think a lot of people are starting to realize now that it wasn't necessarily a good move.

PIT is just giving up way too many shots per game... and I don't know how they fix that.
    https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=n...r+game+2022-23
    7th worst in NHL (34.25sa/gp)... and very close to 3rd worst EDM (34.76), CHI, ARI, PHI... and that's not a good group to come in with.
    Malkin & Carter are also a year older, a little more foot-slow.
    And obviously something is off with Rust-Crosby-Guentzel with their 4/5 goals against last game.

When a goalie feels that pepper - sometimes it's not good for them. Jarry seems to be off, for sure.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for the welcome

My sig must appear now...
    I can't drop Samsonov to add Saros dirctly as Samsonov is on IR. I would have to drop Samsonov + another goalie so no point in doing that.

Intersting point on the Jarry situation...
    But considering that, Skinner should be in a worse position. So I guess you would rank Jarry behind Skinner considering wins and save% ?
    1 Year, 8 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 18 waivers picks allowed (2 picks used)

9W: Rantanen, Bratt, Panarin, Kaprizov, Forsberg, Stützle(C), Svechnikov, Nichuskin, Raymond
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would drop Lehkonen and pick up Saros. I think Goalies and especially ones that are potentially starters like Jarry and Samsonov are too valuable to drop.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I can't afford to run 4 goalies (5 when Samsonov gets back) > 3 is the best format considering cats and is used by all teams in the league...
    But I do agree about starters like Jarry or Samsonov hard to drop

IR:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Your league info says this is an 8-team league.
    Assumption is that you start 2G, max, per night.

One of my rules in one-year fantasy hockey leagues, any size, is this:
    The top 50% of drafted/owned players are "untouchables" - they probably shouldn't be dropped .
    The 50%-75% of players... you might hold, you might drop.
    The bottom 25% of drafted/owned players - these players you should just churn/swap all year for anything hotter on the wire.

8team x 2G = 16 key goalies in play.
    By my rule, the top 8 are "undroppable" - and this would NOT include Jarry, IMO.
    Is Jarry in the next group #9G-#12G... maybe yes, maybe no. Definitely no by his stats this year.
    Is Jarry even in the #13G-#16G range right now? It doesn't really matter, because you should swap/flex out those players for anything hotter (or better end, like Saros).

For context, most of us on these forums are used to 12-team leagues.
    That's the "average"/most-common league size.
    That would have 24 (starting) goalies in-play... and Jarry, if a #10-#16ish goalie, probably shouldn't be dropped.

But 8-team league... nah, just stream in whoever is "hot" or has "good schedule" if they aren't a top-half, or minimum top 75%, level player.
    My 2 cents. (I think many would agree)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Your assumption is right, 2 goalies slots per night.
    And I do agree about your rules about untouchables and bottom players. I personally would ike to be able to stream more but waivers moves are limited to 18 for all season...

Is really Jarry the worst option between him, Husso and Skinner ?
    I find it hard to believe as Skinner is supposed to be the clear backup... but you may be right... Goalies are so unpredictables, every year they are my achilles' heel

IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
    I can't afford to run 4 goalies (5 when Samsonov gets back) > 3 is the best format considering cats and is used by all teams in the league...
    But I do agree about starters like Jarry or Samsonov hard to drop
    Than I would drop Samsonov.

Dobber Sports Rookie

If I drop Samsonov I will need to drop 2 G
    Samsonov is safe (for now) as he is in IR

IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
    If I drop Samsonov I will need to drop 2 G
    Samsonov is safe (for now) as he is in IR
    Then the Goalie to drop is Skinner. Jarry is the starter in Pittsburgh and should not be dropped , because DeSmith is not taking anything from him. Husso is also the starter and hasn't played bad at all except for recently. You wouldn't even be considering Husso except his last 3 starts. Skinner at best is in a share situation with Campbell who has been awful. So I would drop Skinner.

Dobber Sports Superstar

That's a tough one. Jarry and Husso are looked at as starters so I would keep them.
    Samsonov was in a battle for starts pre-season but has been good enough.
    Skinner is clearly the backup pre-season but has been great, including a tough loss (for him) last night, but Campbell still can get his act together.

given Samsonov is on IR so dropping him does not help I would probably drop Skinner for Saros.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Star

Because Samsonov is on the IR, my drop would be Skinner. The Oilers will want Campbell to play his way back into being more of the top dog there, given the contract.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Still undecided on this...

My plan was to see how the weekend goes but all were doing great and even winning me the goalies cats for the first time this season !
    Husso: win and good numbers against a weak CBJ team
    Jarry: Shutout against Winnipeg
    Skinner: Win against Vegas, one of the top team in the NHL

And Saros had a great game against Tampa even if they lost... I can't decide

IR:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Can you trade Husso, Jarry or Skinner + a skater for an upgrade somewhere, and grab Saros?

If not, I'd drop Skinner.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.