Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Montour When Aaron Ekblad Returns?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Brandon Montour When Aaron Ekblad Returns?

What do we think happens to Brandon Montour when Aaron Ekblad is back in the lineup? Does Montour go back to being chopped liver? Or could it be more of a "rising tide lifts all boats" scenario? I keep waiting for the gravy train to come to a screeching halt, but it hasn't happened yet. Any chance Montour hangs on to the PP1 gig?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Brandon Montour When Aaron Ekblad Returns?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by BooBird View Post
    Any chance Montour hangs on to the PP1 gig?
    Where do you get the crack that you smoke? I all seriousness, there is no universe in which Aaron Ekblad isn't the PP1 QB the nanosecond he's back healthy. Montour has not produced with Ekblad in the lineup and I'd expect the same to occur again. This is, after all, Brandon Montour we're talking about.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Where do you get the crack that you smoke? I all seriousness, there is no universe in which Aaron Ekblad isn't the PP1 QB the nanosecond he's back healthy. Montour has not produced with Ekblad in the lineup and I'd expect the same to occur again. This is, after all, Brandon Montour we're talking about.
    Technically speaking, Montour has been on PP1 since the start of the season, playing with Ekblad even when Ekblad was healthy. There's a chance that Florida continues to roll with the two of them on PP1, especially since Montour has been excellent without Ekblad. Montour is obviously going to step back some, but it isn't like he is going to be unusable. Depending on league size, he could be useful.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Technically speaking, Montour has been on PP1 since the start of the season, playing with Ekblad even when Ekblad was healthy. There's a chance that Florida continues to roll with the two of them on PP1, especially since Montour has been excellent without Ekblad. Montour is obviously going to step back some, but it isn't like he is going to be unusable. Depending on league size, he could be useful.
    I don't see a universe where Florida, given it's forward options, continues to bestow valuable PP1 time on Montour once Ekblad is back. He's also not going to be able to maintain a double digit SH%, whether he sticks on PP1 or not.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I don't see a universe where Florida, given it's forward options, continues to bestow valuable PP1 time on Montour once Ekblad is back. He's also not going to be able to maintain a double digit SH%, whether he sticks on PP1 or not.
    Regardless if he maintains on PP1, I like his situation better than anything we have seen in the past from him, for a few reasons. One Ekblad is very injury prone, so even if he gets bumped there is a good possibility at sometime he gets back on PP1.

Second with Weegar gone and the only other defense threat on Florida being Forsling, I feel he will still get great deployment and can at least match Weegars 45 point pace from last year.

Lastly, just with the confidence I am seeing from Montour being put in this position and the confidence Florida has in him, I see it opening his eyes and the organization into what he is capable of. That last one is a soft point but one I am banking on. He's been shooting and producing more the longer he's been trusted in this position.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Genius

Another two points for Montour tonight and counting. Might be a good time to sell high but I do see him performing well, maybe not this well, though all season.

Dobber Sports Wizard

50+ points is certainly doable.

^ Make that 3 points tonight. He got an assist on Bennett's empty netter.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I am just riding the wave baby. Enjoy it.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Something that stands out to me, and frankly I didn't realize Ekblad was right there with him, is Montour's expected goals per 60 of 0.85 (data courtesy of Money Puck), which is pretty redonk for a D-man. Makes me think he can at least somewhat keep it up.

And yeah, I had forgotten he was on the PP1 even before Ekblad got hurt.

Capture.JPG

Dobber Sports Genius

I am trying to flip him. Sent an offer for Carlson which got rejected and I have one out for Seider pending acceptance. I do think he continues to perform decently this year but not over PPG lol, more like a 45 to 50 point pace.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Montour is not going to keep this pace up. His previous points high totals are 37. He is playing at a crazy pace and it is not going to keep up. I could understand if he was a young Rookie type player, but he is not. He has showed us what he can do in the past and this is just something out of the ordinary. It is going to slow down.

Remember a few years back when veteran forward James Neal went nuts and then fell off tremendously. The difference with Neal though is in his career he had some good offensive production.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Smashville View Post
    Montour is not going to keep this pace up. His previous points high totals are 37. He is playing at a crazy pace and it is not going to keep up. I could understand if he was a young Rookie type player, but he is not. He has showed us what he can do in the past and this is just something out of the ordinary. It is going to slow down.

Remember a few years back when veteran forward James Neal went nuts and then fell off tremendously. The difference with Neal though is in his career he had some good offensive production.
    I hear yah and your most likely correct. I think his production can be similar to Weegars last year though. Which means about a 10 point pace increase this year over his career best 37 points. So a 45 to 50 point defencemen. Even with Ekblad in the line up his minutes were huge. So I guess think a Darnell Nurse kind of point producer.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I hear yah and your most likely correct. I think his production can be similar to Weegars last year though. Which means about a 10 point pace increase this year over his career best 37 points. So a 45 to 50 point defencemen. Even with Ekblad in the line up his minutes were huge. So I guess think a Darnell Nurse kind of point producer.
    I think if he sniffs 40 points that would be a great season for him. I say take what he is doing now and trade him high.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I am curious what a reasonable return for Montour in a trade would be right now. Assuming most other fantasy managers are tracking the latest news, they are no doubt aware Ekblad is slated to return this weekend. To be able to sell high, there needs to be folks willing to buy high.

I'd find it hard to believe anyone is giving up Moritz Seider for him.