Thread: Murray or Swayman?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Murray or Swayman?

Goalie woes. STL and Binnington look lost. I thought they would be able to carry him to some win's and get his confidence back, which is how it started, but lately it has not been the case. I swooped Samsonov at the beginning of the year off the wire. Looked like a brilliant move until he got hurt. Waiting for his injury news today hoping for the best.

Currently on waivers are Swayman and Murray. Thinking off adding and stashing one of them for the long haul. I think when Swayman comes back it will be the usual 50/50 split in Boston, who look like beasts early on. Toronto the last two games really surprised me. If they can play like that for the rest of the year their goalies should fair fine no?

If I went Murray I'd probably keep Sammy and have both Toronto goalies. If I go Swayman I'd have a stud on a great looking team thus far. Thoughts?
    10 Team H2H Points 1 Year League
    2020 Runner Up, 2021 Champion, 2022 Champion

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Murray or Swayman?

I saw that Sammy PS and thought right away that it was extremely bad. When he continued to play, I was confused. I'm not a doctor but our knee's aren't intended to bend like that.

If he gets away with a sprained MCL, he's very lucky given the angle that his knee bent on.

All of that being said, Murray will (at least for the short term) be the unquestioned number 1 for a team that was a top 10 defensive team last year and put up franchise record setting numbers. Where Swayman, even though I believe he's the better goalie, is in a situation where Ullmark is playing lights out and is in year two of a contract which anoints him as the number 1.

Take Murray.
    14 team head to head, 7 keepers
    G, A, PPP, HITS, PIM, +/-, GWG, W, L, SO, SV%
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2 Utility, 2G, 4 bench, 1IR+
    F - Matthews, Marner, McDavid, Debrincat, Thomas, Jeannot, Vilardi, Zegras, Guentzel, Zibanejad
    D - Dahlin, Bouchard, Lauzon, Durzi,. Chychrun
    G - Samsonov, Gustavsson, Askarov

16 team head to head, 15 keepers
    G, A, PPP, SOG, Hit, Block, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 1F, 4D, 1 Utility, 2G
    F - McDavid, Tavares, Kucherov, Meier, Duchene, Foerster P. Kane, Pastrnak, R. Smith, Forsberg, Poitras, W. Johnston

D - Josi, Reilly, Faber, Matheson, Nemec,
    G - Vasilevskiy, Merzlikins, Vladar, Cossa

Score 1 for Murray, with conviction! Thanks for the input.

Dobber Sports Pro

In a league that doesn't value rates, I agree with Murray over Swayman though I'd be also trying to improve my goaltending through other means if possible.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Murray should be okay in this league, since it's mostly team based scoring, not individual. He'll lose you points with his saves versus goals allowed, and you need Samsonov to be out longer term for Murray to have much of a shot at getting back to a tandem. If you had actual ratios, he'd be an avoid.

Swayman is the better goalie, but currently hurt as opposed to Murray who is healthy for now between his injuries. If it looks bad for Samsonov, grab Murray. If not, you've got to decide as to how you want to play this.

Anyone else of any note on the wire?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Murray should be okay in this league, since it's mostly team based scoring, not individual. He'll lose you points with his saves versus goals allowed, and you need Samsonov to be out longer term for Murray to have much of a shot at getting back to a tandem. If you had actual ratios, he'd be an avoid.

Swayman is the better goalie, but currently hurt as opposed to Murray who is healthy for now between his injuries. If it looks bad for Samsonov, grab Murray. If not, you've got to decide as to how you want to play this.

Anyone else of any note on the wire?
    Yeah I guess it depends how bad Samsonovs injury is. If itĀ’s minor this dilemma sort of fixes itself in a week. I could grab Murray, maybe put him through a trial. If he does okay then IĀ’ll have both goalies for a good team when both become healthy. Probably would drop Binnington at that point if he continues to flop.

As far as others on waivers, Not really! to name a few:

Merz
    Quick
    Wedgewood
    Jones