Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rate this Blockbuster Trade

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Rate this Blockbuster Trade

Hi all,
    I got a blockbuster trade offer on the table, want to get everyones take on this.

I give up
    Auston Matthews and Chris Kreider

I get
    Jonathan Huberdeau and JT Miller.

Categories' are standard banger league with no PIM, but with ATOI.
    My team is pretty good with goal scorer forwards (Also have Pasta, Eichel, Debricat) and my Ds are also big shots and goal guys.
    My biggest worry about Matthews is health. He hasnt played a full season for a while now.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Rate this Blockbuster Trade

Keeper or non keeper? I like the Matthews side better because he's the best player in the deal. With that being said Huberdeau/Miller might provide better value when compared against Matthews/Kreider.

If it's a keeper no way I do it. Non keeper I probably still don't do it but it might work out for you.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Newbie

sorry it is a non-keeper league.

Dobber Sports Star

I'd rather have the Matthews side.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hard no. I much prefer Matthews+Kreider to Huberdeau+JT Miller.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by TheMule_91 View Post
    Hard no. I much prefer Matthews+Kreider to Huberdeau+JT Miller.
    I prefer Matthews too but this is way closer in terms of actual value then people think. with my league categories which are pretty common. JT Miller was the 2nd best skater in the league and Huberdeau was 3rd. Matthews was 14th rank and should be able to repeat but Krieder was 17th and should greatly regress. Not that both Huberdeau and Miller won't regress either but I can still see at the end of this year that side overall outperforming the other. So in a one year league this is the type of trade that could net you the win.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Matthews being one of the best players in the NHL and the other players in the trade are really good players, I am for the Matthews side here.

Dobber Sports Titan

Depth = Huberdeau/JT side
    Best Player = Matthews side

Since you have the other guys on your team, I don't do this trade as you don't really need the depth. It's a pass, but it could go either way, it's a close deal.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Keep Matthews.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Star

It can make sense from an approach of combining the players' stats and seeing which side is more productive. But if one of the players is at or near the very top of a redraft board, there's a tax that needs to be paid that goes beyond adding the numbers from the players together. The Huberdeau side needs to pay that tax.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    It can make sense from an approach of combining the players' stats and seeing which side is more productive. But if one of the players is at or near the very top of a redraft board, there's a tax that needs to be paid that goes beyond adding the numbers from the players together. The Huberdeau side needs to pay that tax.
    I look at it more like this. It's like getting #3 overall in a draft vs getting the swing at the end of the round. Would you rather pick early and get one of the consensus top 3 players? Or would you rather have two players in the 8 to 12 range.

If this draft was held this year I assume he went Matthews in the first round, Pasta in the 2nd and got Kreider somewhere between rounds 5 to 7. So basically he's given up his low draft pick, still keeping his 2nd, 3rd and 4th and getting the other teams 1st and 2nd round picks.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I look at it more like this. It's like getting #3 overall in a draft vs getting the swing at the end of the round. Would you rather pick early and get one of the consensus top 3 players? Or would you rather have two players in the 8 to 12 range.

If this draft was held this year I assume he went Matthews in the first round, Pasta in the 2nd and got Kreider somewhere between rounds 5 to 7. So basically he's given up his low draft pick, still keeping his 2nd, 3rd and 4th and getting the other teams 1st and 2nd round picks.
    That's a totally valid way to approach it. But my personal feeling is that 1.2 and 1.11 in a draft, while both first rounders, merit sharply different consideration. I need to be so shocked by an offer for a McDavid, Matthews, Draisaitl that my fingers break while trying to accept. But that's my view, other views are also valid.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I’d keep matthews and Kreider

all I’m going on here is my gut but I feel like you can set your watch to matthews scoring a million goals. Kreider even with regression we know is coming will fill hits and shots categories with goals and assists being pretty good even if he’s well short of 50 this year.

I have a feeling both Miller and Huberdeau regress by upwards of 20 points this year. Still good players but neither are Matthews IMO
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Icon

It's impossible to judge without knowing your exact league settings. I am trying to figure out the league settings that had Miller as 2nd best skater and Huberdeau as the 3rd best skater last season while Matthews was 14 and Kreider was 17. That is not a league who's settings I understand at all.

Without knowing the details, I prefer Matthews and Kreider. I think Huberdeau is going to regress a lot from last season (hello Darryl Sutter!).

Dobber Sports Newbie

thanks for all the replies guys. It is definitely a tough decision to make and I might have to sit on it for a few days.

I just checked my league setting, based on last years number at year end, in forward ranking Huberdeau was the #2 , Matthews @ #3, Miller @ #6, and Kreider @ #13.

Is it reasonable to assume Hurberdeau, Matthews and Miller will all still be top 10 forwards while Kreider falls outside of top 20?

My team is currently stacked in goals and shots, and lacking in assist and perhaps ATOI. With this trade I would be trading away my strength while filling in some weaknesses. As I said in my first post, Matthews' health also concerns me a little. Hurberdeau and Miller has been pretty durable last few seasons I believe.