Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [EXTENDED] JT Miller 7x$8

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: [EXTENDED] JT Miller 7x$8

Quote Originally Posted by tripel View Post
    Severenson is older and also ufa to be, will cost Myers $ or more, no thanks.

your points are correct, but all hinges on this idea of potential deals available, and they didnÂ’t materialize. Is that b/c management blew it, or they deals were not actually there? Who knows. The rumoured NYR deal did not excite. Schneider is the guy the canucks need, and nyr not giving him, rightly so. Same with Dobson. That young stud RHD was arguably the only thing worth moving your leading scorer for, and they were also in a PO hunt at the deadline, making it harder to move him. Trading for all futures wouldve been bad b/c youre sending a de-motivating message to the group, and those futures wont be ripe until theyre arguably past the window.

The way i see it, there were 5 options with Miller, in order of preference —
    1. Trade him for good value
    2. Sign him for good value
    3. Trade him for poor value
    4. Lose him for nothing next summer
    5. Sign him for poor value

so, in all, #2 not too bad.

the interesting thing is his no-move doesnt kick in until next summer, so they can still trade him for a year — arguably suitors should be still engaged, if not moreso, considering the extension is decent value.

id like to see something around Garland for Carlo, Peeke or McMichael ..
    but could do Severson i suppose and gamble w ufa status, but dont love it. Need to get away from Myers, Pearson, Dickinson contracts to get some cap breathing room. But of course issue with Myers is you need to fill that 22 mins.

the criticism about this signing (fairly) is that this locks them into a 5-year window max, as MillerÂ’s utility aligns with Demko and Hughes contracts. After that theyÂ’ll have to blow it up, whereas trading him and focusing on the under-27 core wouldve extended that window. And of that window is pretty tight for a team thatÂ’s barely sniffed the playoffs.
    Solid points, good to see you here bud!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I am excited to revisit this and many other comments after this year. I think people are sleeping on the Canucks. I expect them to be in the playoffs for sure and possible challenging for the division. Calgary is going to need time to gel with their new identity, the Oilers depth still severely lacks and Vegas luster has all but tarnished.

Heck for three straight years we either had the Calder winner or the runner up. Demko is looking like a top 10 goalie in the league and our young wingers keep improving.
    Considering the West really isn't that strong, making or not making the playoffs this year will say alot about this team going forward.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Considering the West really isn't that strong, making or not making the playoffs this year will say alot about this team going forward.
    Agreed. If they don't make the playoffs barring any real bad luck with injuries than you might see guys like Boeser and Horvat exit the team. Playoffs need to be a min for us. Which is kind of crazy considering as much as I think and I am hedging that they will surprise, their still in that 10 to 6th place range. The fanbase is just too impatient at the moment to keep dragging this along. I am not trading Hughes or Demko no matter how we finish, unless they greatly regress, outside of that not making the playoffs would put everyone on notice.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Veteran

A team locked up their best player @ $8M/year and somehow people think that's an L?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    A team locked up their best player @ $8M/year and somehow people think that's an L?
    Kessel was extended as the best player when he was a Leaf. Sometimes it's not the right move if your goal is the Stanley Cup. However each franchise secretly has an acceptable goal each season that's sometimes not the Stanley Cup, and in those cases extending a player makes sense if it doesn't move the needle nearly enough.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Kessel wasn't Toronto's issue. Miller isn't Vancouver's issue.

Also, Kessel signed for $8M 9 years ago, and Miller is signing for $8M now. Thank you for strengthening the argument that this was a great signing.

Dobber Sports Star

One underrated aspect to this signing is that the Canucks need to make the playoffs to make some money for the owner.

BC had some of the strictest covid measures in North America and as a result ALOT of games were played with non-full capacity stadiums. The Aquilini's made their money in real estate (primarily residential) which also includes Office and Retail which got wrecked by covid. They also operate a high-end group of restaurants (including Blue Water Cafe and Elisa Steakhouse to woo Kuzmenko) which also took a beating during covid. They do not have much Industrial which has been on fire during covid times.

Its pretty clear noone stepped up with a package worth trading Miller. Miller did not get that 8th year and a 8m AAV is likely way less than Miller's initial ask so the Canucks got some small wins there.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Another thing that some people have mentioned is that this deal kicks in NEXT year.

If the Canucks are out of the playoff chase, which has more value: Miller on an expiring deal or Miller with a 7 year $8 million extension already signed. It's the latter.

Anyone who thinks this was a bad signing is either out of touch or assuming career altering injury.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Another thing that some people have mentioned is that this deal kicks in NEXT year.

If the Canucks are out of the playoff chase, which has more value: Miller on an expiring deal or Miller with a 7 year $8 million extension already signed. It's the latter.

Anyone who thinks this was a bad signing is either out of touch or assuming career altering injury.
    I know it has been mentioned before but has any team dealt a player BEFORE his new deal with a NMC kicked in? Seems like that is a move players wouldn't forget about for a long, long time.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I know it has been mentioned before but has any team dealt a player BEFORE his new deal with a NMC kicked in? Seems like that is a move players wouldn't forget about for a long, long time.
    I believe Jeff Carter to the Blue Jackets? Possibly Mike Richards also?
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    I believe Jeff Carter to the Blue Jackets? Possibly Mike Richards also?
    Carter yes, Richards no - his new deal was in force, but the NMC hadn't kicked in.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Wild that people think this contract is under market value lol. Your opinion on the contract probably depends on what you think of Vancouver as a team, but there’s no discount on the contract.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Wild that people think this contract is under market value lol. Your opinion on the contract probably depends on what you think of Vancouver as a team, but there’s no discount on the contract.
    well, comparables are Hertl, Forsberg, Zibby, Couturier; and Millers stats are in line or better, esp considering peripherals, so i guess your comment makes sense if you mean you’re negatively predisposed
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post

Marek and Friedman were talking about this on the 32 Thoughts podcast. Marek thinks this might make hom even more appealing because he comes with term.

Who knows.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Kessel wasn't Toronto's issue. Miller isn't Vancouver's issue.

Also, Kessel signed for $8M 9 years ago, and Miller is signing for $8M now. Thank you for strengthening the argument that this was a great signing.
    Missed the point of my post. But if you want dollar figure compatibles, how about:
    - OEL in 2018. Signed at 27yrs old, 8yr 8.25m
    - Forsberg 8yrs, 8.5m at 27yrs old
    - Hertl 8yrs 8.137m at 28yrs old
    - Zibanejad 8yrs, 8.5m at 29yrs old
    - Duchene 7yrs 8m at 28yrs old
    - Wheeler 5yrs, 8.25m at 32yrs old
    - Couture 8yrs 8m at 30yrs old

Zibanejad is prolly the only guy on that list where the team has a legit Cup shot. Sometimes signing a player to a deal that makes sense isn't beneficial to the teams chances at winning a cup. That's my point.

Miller's deal is solid. He is definitely worth that contract for the first half of the deal. But are the Canucks a Stanley Cup threat? Prolly not. Do they have a better chance with Miller? Yeah. Would they have a higher chance at winning the cup in the future with assets acquired by trading Miller? They might. But this also depends on what was actually offered to them, and we might not know that for years.

But Canucks goal isn't about winning the cup, it's about competing, having a strong team to draw fans in and generate revenue after a tough 2-3yrs (my guess). I hope my train of thought makes sense now that I used different names than Kessel.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll