Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [EXTENDED] JT Miller 7x$8

The Great One

Default Re: [EXTENDED] JT Miller 7x$8

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    The market was so poor for forwards which is why they just resigned him. Look at the return for Debrincat, MaxPax, and Bjorskstrand. All had underwhelming returns. If they could have traded Garland or Boeser for a fair return, they would have. Overall, it's a fair contract. The last couple years might be rough.
    Those players are not JT Miller and those teams were all looking to blow it up or were in cap hell.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Those players are not JT Miller and those teams were all looking to blow it up or were in cap hell.
    I'd say when you include age, Debrincat and Miller are pretty similar.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Correct. My point being that Vancouver could have made themselves much better in the near term (not futures and draft picks) by trading him vs. signing him. It’s not terrible, but it’s poor asset management.
    Keeping a player that wants to be on the team and is your best player >> than gambling on futures.

by your logic they should trade Demko for futures as well - most teams with D better than Van would love Demko as well.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    Keeping a player that wants to be on the team and is your best player >> than gambling on futures.

by your logic they should trade Demko for futures as well - most teams with D better than Van would love Demko as well.
    You’re killing me smalls. If you read my post, my point was they SHOULD NOT trade him for futures and picks. I said there are plenty of teams willing to trade NHL players who are defenseman. Something the Canucks sorely lack. Yes, great, Miller wants to be there and he’s really good and he’s not what they need to move this team forward towards contention status. He’s very good. But they should have leveraged that. Poor asset management. Plain and simple.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Pro

You’re killing me smalls. If you read my post, my point was they SHOULD NOT trade him for futures and picks. I said there are plenty of teams willing to trade NHL players who are defenseman. Something the Canucks sorely lack. Yes, great, Miller wants to be there and he’s really good and he’s not what they need to move this team forward towards contention status. He’s very good. But they should have leveraged that. Poor asset management. Plain and simple.
    poor asset management was letting Markstrom and Toffoli walk for nothing.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

The Great One

Previous regime man. Moving forward here.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Deity

I know you're a big Canucks guy.

I'm assuming you disagree with taj's take then.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

A move like this definitely gets some butts in the seats.. Miller is a fantastic player!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Icon

100% agree. Just one example, apparently there was lots of potential for a deal involving Severson plus solid prospect and picks.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Sage

poor asset management was letting Markstrom and Toffoli walk for nothing.
    Toffoli-yes. That was a terrible mistake and they probably wouldn't have made the OEL/Garland trade if they had Toffoli. Letting Markstrom go was the right call. They weren't going to trade him at the deadline and Demko is just as good if not better.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Toffoli-yes. That was a terrible mistake and they probably wouldn't have made the OEL/Garland trade if they had Toffoli. Letting Markstrom go was the right call. They weren't going to trade him at the deadline and Demko is just as good if not better.
    They could have resigned Markstrom and got a boatload for Demko, but instead we just have Demko.

Why should I even watch this team next year. Improved 3rd line and worse 4th line isnt gonna take us into the second round, if we even get to the playoffs. I expect the playoffs since the GM has signed our hero for 7 years.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    They could have resigned Markstrom and got a boatload for Demko, but instead we just have Demko.

Why should I even watch this team next year. Improved 3rd line and worse 4th line isnt gonna take us into the second round, if we even get to the playoffs. I expect the playoffs since the GM has signed our hero for 7 years.
    I don't think they would have gotten a boatload for Demko. Look at what Nedeljkovic returned when he was traded with a comparable track record at the time when Demko would have been traded. Demko had the great playoff run but there were still questions whether he could replace Markstrom over the long haul. Plus, teams just don't give up a lot for goalies.

Why should you watch? I think Vancouver is one of the more entertaining teams in the league. Hughes, Petersson, Demko, Miller, Garland, Boeser- those are all guys I enjoy watching. Personally, I have most of those guys in different leagues so I have followed Vancouver closely over the last couple years.

Dobber Sports Stud

Not a Nucks fan but I disagree with Taj's take (and agree with Daydream that Van should be enteratining and competitive this year).

I do appreciate that any long-term deal has the potential (or even likelihood) of being an anchor down the road... but if I'm a GM in the show, with a SUPER limited shelf-life myself, I'm doing whatever I can to get into the playoffs (where clearly anything can happen year-to-year).

Before TB's dominance, they got bounced in 4 by CBJ. Before COL won, they got burned in multiple years. MTL made the final two years ago. STL won the cup after being "impossibly out of it" at Xmas. It's why we love the playoffs. Rarely does the best team on paper in Oct take it all home.

If I'm Allvin, I'm more than happy to get JT Miller signed at arguably slightly-below market-value and increase my chances of getting into the playoffs the next few years.

My ONLY hesitation on this deal is what it means for Horvat moving forward. Otherwise it's a full win for VAN in the near future imo. (It could be a loss down the road... but trades happen, guys go LTIR, the cap moves... too many unknown variables to worry about when it comes to a PPG player being a part of your team now)
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post

I am excited to revisit this and many other comments after this year. I think people are sleeping on the Canucks. I expect them to be in the playoffs for sure and possible challenging for the division. Calgary is going to need time to gel with their new identity, the Oilers depth still severely lacks and Vegas luster has all but tarnished.

Heck for three straight years we either had the Calder winner or the runner up. Demko is looking like a top 10 goalie in the league and our young wingers keep improving.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    100% agree. Just one example, apparently there was lots of potential for a deal involving Severson plus solid prospect and picks.
    Severenson is older and also ufa to be, will cost Myers $ or more, no thanks.

your points are correct, but all hinges on this idea of potential deals available, and they didnÂ’t materialize. Is that b/c management blew it, or they deals were not actually there? Who knows. The rumoured NYR deal did not excite. Schneider is the guy the canucks need, and nyr not giving him, rightly so. Same with Dobson. That young stud RHD was arguably the only thing worth moving your leading scorer for, and they were also in a PO hunt at the deadline, making it harder to move him. Trading for all futures wouldve been bad b/c youre sending a de-motivating message to the group, and those futures wont be ripe until theyre arguably past the window.

The way i see it, there were 5 options with Miller, in order of preference —
    1. Trade him for good value
    2. Sign him for good value
    3. Trade him for poor value
    4. Lose him for nothing next summer
    5. Sign him for poor value

so, in all, #2 not too bad.

the interesting thing is his no-move doesnt kick in until next summer, so they can still trade him for a year — arguably suitors should be still engaged, if not moreso, considering the extension is decent value.

id like to see something around Garland for Carlo, Peeke or McMichael ..
    but could do Severson i suppose and gamble w ufa status, but dont love it. Need to get away from Myers, Pearson, Dickinson contracts to get some cap breathing room. But of course issue with Myers is you need to fill that 22 mins.

the criticism about this signing (fairly) is that this locks them into a 5-year window max, as MillerÂ’s utility aligns with Demko and Hughes contracts. After that theyÂ’ll have to blow it up, whereas trading him and focusing on the under-27 core wouldve extended that window. And of that window is pretty tight for a team thatÂ’s barely sniffed the playoffs.
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs