Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [EXTENDED] JT Miller 7x$8

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: [EXTENDED] JT Miller 7x$8

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It's weird they didn't do 8yrs. He's 29 yrs old, so is there really a difference between 36 and 37yrs old? You could argue 8m is underpaid, but I too wonder how much this moves the needle for canucks on winning the cup vs a trade that would net a big prospect return. The prospects might not pan out, but if extending Miller doesn't move the needle, would you not try and move the needle in another way?

But some teams need to prioritize winning games over winning cups for financial reasons and ownerships wishes.
    He has one year remaining on his current contract so in a way it is an 8 year commitment

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As a local, here is an unfiltered message I sent to my brother (also a local) today after we went back and forth on what we thought about the trade:

There’s been a lot of talk from Vancouver outlets that this was a terrible trade and the people wanted the rebuild package of player prospect pick for him. I’m sitting here thinking this guy is going to be good for at least five of those seven years. Why the heck would you want to trade someone of his caliber for an upgrade on defence and futures?? The GM was either going to trade him for someone almost as good but younger or sign him. It makes zero sense to me that a competitive team would trade him for futures. Apparently the best deal on the table was from NYR of Chytil Lundqvist and a first which Vancouver needs none of those players - emphasis on needs. They need better defensive defencemen and a character/productive bottom six. Trading Miller isn’t going to get you that. Better drafting/trading/get rid of Benning contracts to have cap to sign quality guys is the only way to get that done.

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't watch much Canucks hockey and I don't live there so maybe I'm missing something. But I don't understand the reason to move towards a rebuild strategy. Seems like there are decent pieces in place to compete at a high level very soon, no?

Miller // Pettersson // Boeser // Horvat // Garland // Mikheyev (with Hoglander, Podkolzin progressing, albeit slowly)
    Hughes (and Rathbone on the way)
    Demko

They definitely need a couple bottom six pieces and become more efficient on defense, no doubt. But it just seems like a rebuild would waste a decent top-6 plus, a clear #1D, and a helluva goalie.

From my perspective, the Miller signing seems good as long as they address their bottom 6 and defense over the next 1-2 years. But like I said, I might be missing something or over-valuing their offense?
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by jdreed3184 View Post
    I don't watch much Canucks hockey and I don't live there so maybe I'm missing something. But I don't understand the reason to move towards a rebuild strategy. Seems like there are decent pieces in place to compete at a high level very soon, no?

Miller // Pettersson // Boeser // Horvat // Garland // Mikheyev (with Hoglander, Podkolzin progressing, albeit slowly)
    Hughes (and Rathbone on the way)
    Demko

They definitely need a couple bottom six pieces and become more efficient on defense, no doubt. But it just seems like a rebuild would waste a decent top-6 plus, a clear #1D, and a helluva goalie.

From my perspective, the Miller signing seems good as long as they address their bottom 6 and defense over the next 1-2 years. But like I said, I might be missing something or over-valuing their offense?
    Problem is you’ve got Schenn miscast as a first pair D next to Hughes, two somewhat albatross contracts in Myers and OEL, and they’re going to be in a world of cap hurt once Pettersson’s deal is up.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

The Great One

Any team that has employed Jordie Benn within the last few years has roster issues.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Pro

Its good deal IMO, nice to see them keep their highest scoring player and skip the drama Calgary went through.
    Hopefully the nucks can continue their play that saw them play at a 107 point pace under Boudreau.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Leancats View Post
    As a local, here is an unfiltered message I sent to my brother (also a local) today after we went back and forth on what we thought about the trade:

There’s been a lot of talk from Vancouver outlets that this was a terrible trade and the people wanted the rebuild package of player prospect pick for him. I’m sitting here thinking this guy is going to be good for at least five of those seven years. Why the heck would you want to trade someone of his caliber for an upgrade on defence and futures?? The GM was either going to trade him for someone almost as good but younger or sign him. It makes zero sense to me that a competitive team would trade him for futures. Apparently the best deal on the table was from NYR of Chytil Lundqvist and a first which Vancouver needs none of those players - emphasis on needs. They need better defensive defencemen and a character/productive bottom six. Trading Miller isn’t going to get you that. Better drafting/trading/get rid of Benning contracts to have cap to sign quality guys is the only way to get that done.
    Well said

The Great One

Teams with NHL defenseman better than most of what Vancouver has who would love to have Miller:
    Carolina
    Buffalo
    Pittsburgh
    New Jersey
    Calgary
    Colorado
    Arizona
    Columbus
    Chicago
    Anaheim
    Los Angeles
    Rangers
    Ottawa
    Vegas
    Winnipeg
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Sage

I hope they trade Horvat now. Horvat as a #3C is a luxury this team cannot afford.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Teams with NHL defenseman better than most of what Vancouver has who would love to have Miller:
    Carolina
    Buffalo
    Pittsburgh
    New Jersey
    Calgary
    Colorado
    Arizona
    Columbus
    Chicago
    Anaheim
    Los Angeles
    Rangers
    Ottawa
    Vegas
    Winnipeg
    Is there a team that wouldn't love to have Miller on their team? He was the 4th highest scoring center after CM, AM and SS.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

The Great One

Correct. My point being that Vancouver could have made themselves much better in the near term (not futures and draft picks) by trading him vs. signing him. It’s not terrible, but it’s poor asset management.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Correct. My point being that Vancouver could have made themselves much better in the near term (not futures and draft picks) by trading him vs. signing him. It’s not terrible, but it’s poor asset management.
    The market was so poor for forwards which is why they just resigned him. Look at the return for Debrincat, MaxPax, and Bjorskstrand. All had underwhelming returns. If they could have traded Garland or Boeser for a fair return, they would have. Overall, it's a fair contract. The last couple years might be rough.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Genius

Fair deal. Again I wouldn't of traded him for potential and picks. We needed a legit top 2 D or it wasn't worth it. I feel the Canucks have top ten center depth in the league. Also we have young guns who all haven't fully matured in Hughes, Demko, Petterson, Boeser and Polds.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    The market was so poor for forwards which is why they just resigned him. Look at the return for Debrincat, MaxPax, and Bjorskstrand. All had underwhelming returns. If they could have traded Garland or Boeser for a fair return, they would have. Overall, it's a fair contract. The last couple years might be rough.
    That market was this summer, and you are correct, but the market for forwards at the trade deadline was very different. They should have pulled the trigger then.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    That market was this summer, and you are correct, but the market for forwards at the trade deadline was very different. They should have pulled the trigger then.
    True, but that's always difficult when the team is in a playoff push. Yes, I know the odds weren't good but that would have been a tough sell for that fickle Vancouver fan base.