23 56.10%
  • Other/forgotten

1 2.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big busts

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Big busts

Reading the guide I notice all these busts who haven't played all that long when looking closer. Because it's fun and I'm offender to this too -
    So to who's a bust and who's not? I hope to revisit this thread in a few years.
    Poll coming.
    Yahoo Limited keeper: keep up to 8 players from the preceding season, but 2 of them has to be dropped at the end of the season, decided before the start. 'Keep eligible players' from draft round 11 and later, or undrafted.
    16 team league. H2H. League cats: G A +/- PIM PPP SHP SOG FW HIT BLK; W GAA SV SV% SHO
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench, 2IR
    Keepers 23/24 + cost of keeping. M Seider 2, B Tkachuk 5, D Batherson 4, D Cozens 1, W Johnston 1, F Gustavsson 1. Drafted and keep eligible: J Sanderson, T Harley, J Wallstedt

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Big busts

I liked KK, great kid, but voted him for bust here. I think his skating will hold him back and guys like Pulj and Kakko who also aren’t strong skaters will make up for it with their greater puck possession and overall bulk. But here’s hoping KK can over one that and be a productive NHLer.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I liked KK, great kid, but voted him for bust here. I think his skating will hold him back and guys like Pulj and Kakko who also aren’t strong skaters will make up for it without their greater puck possession and overall bulk. But here’s hoping KK can over one that and be a productive NHLer.
    I'm confused. It sounds like you're saying Kakko will bust and he'll be fine.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    I'm confused. It sounds like you're saying Kakko will bust and he'll be fine.
    there is two KKs on that list….
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    there is two KKs on that list….
    I must be missing something....there's only one other guy whose last name starts with K and his first name doesn't. Is that a nickname for him I've never heard of? Or are we talking about the goalie with the same last name?
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    I must be missing something....there's only one other guy whose last name starts with K and his first name doesn't. Is that a nickname for him I've never heard of? Or are we talking about the goalie with the same last name?
    Kotkaniemi is affectionately called KK (in Montreal at least) because he has two Ks in his last name and it is easier than spelling it out.
    12 Teams H2H Dynasty, 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 12 bench
    G: 4.5 A: 2.5 STP: 1 SOG/Hits/Blocks: 0.5 W: 3 SV: 0.25 GA: -1 SHO: 2

C: Zibanejad, Couturier, Couture, Kadri, Nelson, Pageau
    LW: Miller, E. Kane, Schenn, Crouse, Vatrano, Henrique
    RW: Kucherov, Wilson, Giroux, Toffoli, Tippett, Wheeler, Eberle, Brown
    D: Chabot, S. Jones, DeAngelo, Krug, Spurgeon, Orlov, Gudas, Fehervary, Fowler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Thompson, Montembeault
    IR: Landeskog

21 minors (< 80GP):
    F : Miroshnichenko, Brink, Kovalenko, Beckman, Phillips, Sokolov, Farrell, Poitras, Dufour, Whitelaw
    D : Spence, Svozil, Pickering, Lacombe, Kaiser
    G: Silovs, Fowler, Bussi, Ersson, Zherenko, Kolosov

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm not sure why Slafkovsky is on this list.

I'm not sure any are "busts" but some haven't reached their potential based on their draft positions but it's still so early in their careers. People need to stop expecting high end productivity from kids coming out of their draft years.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm not sure why Slafkovsky is on this list.
    Because the list isn't good. Slafkovsky is not currently a bust with his 0 games in a NHL team's system. May he become a bust, sure?

I love that Byfield has 3 votes in half a year of the NHL.

But this list is comparing apples to kumquats to tomatoes. Biggest bust? The choices in this poll.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Because the list isn't good. Slafkovsky is not currently a bust with his 0 games in a NHL team's system. May he become a bust, sure?

I love that Byfield has 3 votes in half a year of the NHL.

But this list is comparing apples to kumquats to tomatoes. Biggest bust? The choices in this poll.
    It's a poll of various perceived (not necessarily by you or me) busts. Does it need to be a list comparing bananas to be good? Not at all. It's a poll about perceived busts, in a specific frame of time. Are some people already labeling Slafkovsky a bust? yes, they're free to pick him. Maybe he's the next Yakupov. Byfield? looks like it from the poll. Zadina? could still turn it around, but a more likely bust perhaps?

It's a group of young, potential stars. Not all in the same place of their career. Participate in the poll if you want to try predict who's a bust and who's not. It's more of a game or exercise than anything else. No need to overthink this.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Great list to propose low ball offers to the owners
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Demi-God

For me, it's Zadina (who I own)... and it's not close.
    Big-bodied centers, so Kotka and Zacha and Dach, almost ALWAYS take a good while to find their game.

Look at Joel Eriksson-Ek and Sean Couturier and Dylan Strome.
    These guys weren't much for their first 3-4 years and then had a break-out year.
    It is VERY HARD playing an NHL-level two-way game at center... and it's important... and NHL execs and coaches expect that defensive game first.
    Byfield might go through these bumps too.

But... meanwhile Zadina - he's just a little butterfly floating up on the wing by a defenseman. Easy peezy.
    And the points aren't coming. He can shoot a puck - but he just hasn't figured out how to put up offense in other ways.
    I've watched enough of him and he's a frustrating own and I'm pretty ready to label him a bonafide BUST.

Kakko and Pulju get a few more years of leash from me... because the bigger-bodied guys DO sometimes take a bit longer.

But Zadina... he hasn't been able to score and sported a -24 last year.
    That's atrocious.

[ps. Montreal fans with their lack of patience on Kotka... is a little short-fused, IMO. Kid is going to be a solid player, I think. 2023-24, I think. It blows me away that fans can sour on a player so quickly - based mostly on expectations from his draft position and those drafted after (namely - Brady Tkachuk, just down the road) ]

Dobber Sports Genius

I like big busts and I cannot lie...
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Initiate

Zacha is easily the current bust on this list, could be Zadina but I think less is demanded from a winger at 6 overall than a Center - if Zacha is a 3rd line center drafted at 6, he's easily the bust. That being said, there are a number of players who could bust here... In response to other commenters, even though Slafkovsky hasn't played a game, its interesting b/c at 1 overall, and coming almost out of nowhere there are plenty of players who could be better in 5 years, and if he's not the best of the draft, everyone will say he's a bust.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

BUMP.

I labeled Zadina a bust last year... but a new location is worth holding him to see - especially with how he declined guaranteed money on his contract.
    Perhaps I was wrong and the way Detroit wanted him to play in their system was the problem.

Glad I've stayed consistent on how I view big-frame player - especially centers.
    Be patient (on Dach, Kotka, and Zacha - which seemed to pay off with his change of location... maybe Dach's will too).

Pulju was coming off his best year (36pts in 65gp in 2021-22... and had seen top6 time).
    We may not recall... but there was some feeling of upside after that season.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    BUMP.

I labeled Zadina a bust last year... but a new location is worth holding him to see - especially with how he declined guaranteed money on his contract.
    Perhaps I was wrong and the way Detroit wanted him to play in their system was the problem.

Glad I've stayed consistent on how I view big-frame player - especially centers.
    Be patient (on Dach, Kotka, and Zacha - which seemed to pay off with his change of location... maybe Dach's will too).

Pulju was coming off his best year (36pts in 65gp in 2021-22... and had seen top6 time).
    We may not recall... but there was some feeling of upside after that season.
    I agree to the overall strategy, which I've learnt about here, to stay more patient with big-frame players. It's likely why these players tend to be more controversial and discussed as potential busts. ...however... Staying patient with Zacha for close to eight years probably won't win you any fantasy leagues. Should we expect the same for Slafkovsky - then I'd rather go for another player and pick up Slafkovsky from the waivers at a later stage. Plus, it's not always these players live up to the hype and Stützle or Raymond prove to be the better pick.

If I put you on the spot and you're up for it - are any of the players in the poll worthy of a spot in a 6-keeper, 16 team league? It's purely hypothetical since I've have no option to keep any of them, but would any of them be preferred to Wyatt Johnston or Jordan Kyrou - both barely keeper worthy in a 6-keeper league? (there are some constraints and rules keeping the quality of keepers down...) I think I'd prefer the potential of Byfield to Kyrou. It still shows how much their value have dropped since they were drafted and their hype was at the top. Point is - patience is good, but it can't take too long and the hit rate must be good enough, because there are other players out there too.
    Yahoo Limited keeper: keep up to 8 players from the preceding season, but 2 of them has to be dropped at the end of the season, decided before the start. 'Keep eligible players' from draft round 11 and later, or undrafted.
    16 team league. H2H. League cats: G A +/- PIM PPP SHP SOG FW HIT BLK; W GAA SV SV% SHO
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench, 2IR
    Keepers 23/24 + cost of keeping. M Seider 2, B Tkachuk 5, D Batherson 4, D Cozens 1, W Johnston 1, F Gustavsson 1. Drafted and keep eligible: J Sanderson, T Harley, J Wallstedt