Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL Mock Draft 2022-2023 - Discussion

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: NHL Mock Draft 2022-2023 - Discussion

So this was my first rotisserie / hits/PIMS draft, and so great fun and eye-opening.

Below was my strategy going in and my analysis of my team BEFORE Nico put out his projected rankings.

Toughest part was trying to figure out as we went along which categories to prioritize, when to focus on hits/blocks/PIMS, as the action swirled.

Looking at rankings now, it’s clear my strategy was solid in some respects (high plus minus, and G cats well-positioned), but broke down in key offensive metrics (only middle of pack in pts and very mediocre SOG). I think that’s directly attributable to me being only GM (other than butch and newf) to allocate 7D 4G spots. While that helped blocks and to some extent hits/Pims, it clearly impacted too many pts cats. And what’s worse, all that effort on picking multicat middle of the cat bangers and picking 7 D in the end didn’t put me ahead of the game on hits/PIMs at all, I’m way down the pack there which is a tad surprising.

As for my picks:

Picking Swayman earlyish, and Peterson a few rounds later, was a bit risky but Boston and LA are good D teams and i firmly believe both can become the starters. So along with Andersen good periphs almost guaranteed and potential for tops in saves / Ws.

I thought i had a great opening half at F starting with Auston and nabbing Robertson, Fiala, Pettersson and Kopitar, and then Bratt (steal in 10th imo), but then got overconfident and stopped picking up scoring Fs.

Barrie/Forsling we’re good value picks where I got them, but sacrificed some hits there for sure especially as my other D were Fox and Heiskanen, and only Petry a real hits guy. Made up for it with Chiarot and Peeke but again that 7th D impacted other areas. I thought Petry was an underrated solid pickup, that guy will bounce back huge (my Habs fandom helped me out there, I know very well what he can do when motivated and happy).

Jury is out on picking Foligno and Killorn mid round and then a slew of similar guys in Gourde, Neidereiter, etc, will help in hits but that stretch definitely put me further back in SOG and pts. Getting Paul and Staal last 2 rounds were reasonable multicat gambles (had Nic Roy there as well, as a solid multicat darkhorse).

Will be fun to see how this plays out!!! Thx again Pete and Butch for organizational work, and Nico for projections!

STRATEGY

Keys
    ⁃ Roster makeup - UTIL: 2G 2D 1F, for Total 13F, 7D, 4G
    ⁃ Goal: Get top 5 in all cats.
    ⁃ 6 of 9 offensive cats are pure offense, so don’t go too crazy about Hits/PIMS/Blocks, fill those out with D and late round Fs.
    ⁃ Get 4 goalies including one elite/high end. A risk is 4 goalies versus guys who keep only 2 or 3, but it’s only 1 or 2 skaters more and most GMs will keep 3.
    ⁃ Durable players on good teams (maximize plus minus).
    ⁃ Multicat Fs (60+ PIMs, 100+ Hits, 150+SOG) w 40+ pts valuable.

Overall Analysis

G - Great, should be top 5 in all cats, handcuffed my no 1, and solid bets on Seayman and Petersen. 4G and Raanta add gets me 15-20 more wins w good periphs plus handcuff which is huge for injury - total 90-100Ws and 8-15SO should be top 5 with solid peripherals given Swayman + Carolina.

D - Very good pts / PPPs coverage with top 5 (if Barrie and Forsling hit 50+ could be tops), and decent SOG w top 6 + cover Blks w Chiarot/Peeke/Fox + Hits/PIMS w Chiarot/Peeke. Hits ok given Foligno and other banger fwds but made up for PIMS and added hits w last banger F adds, ideally who can also take SOG.

F - Solid pt / goal / PP potential, with great banger (Foligno) and decent multicat contributors (Killorn, Gourde, Neidereiter, Paul), with last F adds bringing big hits/PIMs (Kuraly, Lucic) or good all around (Paul, Staal, Roy). But big risk is GMs that overloaded at F v D/G - I’m one of a handful of team with 7D/4G, so that may hurt pts/SOG.

Great all-around plus/minus, most should be plus except Gourde, Peeke, maybe Chiarot.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Sage

@ross10019
    Only D really move the needle on blocks... so I kind of left drafting D-man for awhile to focus forwards. To a point where I wasn't sacrificing much to start picking them up. I did want your Peeke!

I was thinking more on my strat... Maybe it won't win much, but I think it would have you in the top 3 pretty consistently. This would be beneficial in money leagues with payouts to top teams.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    So this was my first rotisserie / hits/PIMS draft, and so great fun and eye-opening.

Below was my strategy going in and my analysis of my team BEFORE Nico put out his projected rankings.

Toughest part was trying to figure out as we went along which categories to prioritize, when to focus on hits/blocks/PIMS, as the action swirled.

Looking at rankings now, it’s clear my strategy was solid in some respects (high plus minus, and G cats well-positioned), but broke down in key offensive metrics (only middle of pack in pts and very mediocre SOG). I think that’s directly attributable to me being only GM (other than butch and newf) to allocate 7D 4G spots. While that helped blocks and to some extent hits/Pims, it clearly impacted too many pts cats. And what’s worse, all that effort on picking multicat middle of the cat bangers and picking 7 D in the end didn’t put me ahead of the game on hits/PIMs at all, I’m way down the pack there which is a tad surprising.

As for my picks:

Picking Swayman earlyish, and Peterson a few rounds later, was a bit risky but Boston and LA are good D teams and i firmly believe both can become the starters. So along with Andersen good periphs almost guaranteed and potential for tops in saves / Ws.

I thought i had a great opening half at F starting with Auston and nabbing Robertson, Fiala, Pettersson and Kopitar, and then Bratt (steal in 10th imo), but then got overconfident and stopped picking up scoring Fs.

Barrie/Forsling we’re good value picks where I got them, but sacrificed some hits there for sure especially as my other D were Fox and Heiskanen, and only Petry a real hits guy. Made up for it with Chiarot and Peeke but again that 7th D impacted other areas. I thought Petry was an underrated solid pickup, that guy will bounce back huge (my Habs fandom helped me out there, I know very well what he can do when motivated and happy).

Jury is out on picking Foligno and Killorn mid round and then a slew of similar guys in Gourde, Neidereiter, etc, will help in hits but that stretch definitely put me further back in SOG and pts. Getting Paul and Staal last 2 rounds were reasonable multicat gambles (had Nic Roy there as well, as a solid multicat darkhorse).

Will be fun to see how this plays out!!! Thx again Pete and Butch for organizational work, and Nico for projections!

STRATEGY

Keys
    ⁃ Roster makeup - UTIL: 2G 2D 1F, for Total 13F, 7D, 4G
    ⁃ Goal: Get top 5 in all cats.
    ⁃ 6 of 9 offensive cats are pure offense, so don’t go too crazy about Hits/PIMS/Blocks, fill those out with D and late round Fs.
    ⁃ Get 4 goalies including one elite/high end. A risk is 4 goalies versus guys who keep only 2 or 3, but it’s only 1 or 2 skaters more and most GMs will keep 3.
    ⁃ Durable players on good teams (maximize plus minus).
    ⁃ Multicat Fs (60+ PIMs, 100+ Hits, 150+SOG) w 40+ pts valuable.

Overall Analysis

G - Great, should be top 5 in all cats, handcuffed my no 1, and solid bets on Seayman and Petersen. 4G and Raanta add gets me 15-20 more wins w good periphs plus handcuff which is huge for injury - total 90-100Ws and 8-15SO should be top 5 with solid peripherals given Swayman + Carolina.

D - Very good pts / PPPs coverage with top 5 (if Barrie and Forsling hit 50+ could be tops), and decent SOG w top 6 + cover Blks w Chiarot/Peeke/Fox + Hits/PIMS w Chiarot/Peeke. Hits ok given Foligno and other banger fwds but made up for PIMS and added hits w last banger F adds, ideally who can also take SOG.

F - Solid pt / goal / PP potential, with great banger (Foligno) and decent multicat contributors (Killorn, Gourde, Neidereiter, Paul), with last F adds bringing big hits/PIMs (Kuraly, Lucic) or good all around (Paul, Staal, Roy). But big risk is GMs that overloaded at F v D/G - I’m one of a handful of team with 7D/4G, so that may hurt pts/SOG.

Great all-around plus/minus, most should be plus except Gourde, Peeke, maybe Chiarot.
    Great post, Ross! I agree about Petry, I think it's going to be a great pick. The pendulum has gone too far the other way on him but I understand how people don't want to get burned again.

Dobber Sports Monster

Are people good with The Also Rans teams stats counting? For those not familiar, PH and I put together a team at the end with the scraps that weren't selected just for fun. But it could affect the standings in small ways.

Here's the team: https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...loril9l7h0r1ky

Didn't pour over the stats to make the best team possible, and took some dicerolls as it doesnt matter too much if it goes belly up.

I can remove it from getting points if people just want a straight 14 man competition.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm okay with it as long as it doesn't finish higher in the standings than me.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Are people good with The Also Rans teams stats counting? For those not familiar, PH and I put together a team at the end with the scraps that weren't selected just for fun. But it could affect the standings in small ways.

Here's the team: https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...loril9l7h0r1ky

Didn't pour over the stats to make the best team possible, and took some dicerolls as it doesnt matter too much if it goes belly up.

I can remove it from getting points if people just want a straight 14 man competition.
    We did it last year, I don't mind it again this year. Should be fun to see if it can snag some points other than +/-.

Dobber Sports Sage

It's going to beat me in shutouts.

Dobber Sports Monster

Maybe at the end we can calculate the standings with and without T.A.R. haha. I forgot to even mention the team to the new members of the league so it's probably only fair we show both.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Maybe at the end we can calculate the standings with and without T.A.R. haha. I forgot to even mention the team to the new members of the league so it's probably only fair we show both.
    It's just for fun/learning/research/prep mostly anyway, so showing both would be great.

Dobber Sports Master

Can we rename them Washington Generals instead of also rans

The Great One

Love the also rans. Definitely fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Name them the Charlestown Chiefs.

- - - Updated - - -

Iron League hunh? Lotta fights?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

Name them LA Rams after that outting!

Bills mean business this year! - Josh Allen is all mine

Dobber Sports Initiate

I noticed the odd addition but figured what it was. I don't mind it at all. Makes things more interesting if anything.

Dobber Sports Sage

We need an updated projections ranking from niconasr that includes this new addition

Also-Rans might actually help me if their +/- bumps a few teams down to balance out my 1 pt lose due to dropping down in Shutout cat.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    We need an updated projections ranking from niconasr that includes this new addition

Also-Rans might actually help me if their +/- bumps a few teams down to balance out my 1 pt lose due to dropping down in Shutout cat.
    Haha, I'll do it this weekend!