View Poll Results: Who will score, in 2022-23, closer to their 2022 playoff rate than their 2021-22 rate?

Voters
34. This poll is closed
  • Joel Eriksson Ek (Playoff rate = 68; Regular Season rate = 53)

6 17.65%
  • Adam Fox (Playoff rate = 94; Regular Season rate = 78)

4 11.76%
  • Johnny Gaudreau (Playoff rate = 95; Regular Season rate = 115)

26 76.47%
  • Taylor Hall (Playoff rate = 47; Regular Season rate = 62)

8 23.53%
  • Victor Hedman (Playoff rate = 67; Regular Season rate = 85)

14 41.18%
  • Chris Kreider (Playoff rate = 65; Regular Season rate = 78)

17 50.00%
  • Nikita Kucherov (Playoff rate = 96; Regular Season rate = 120)

12 35.29%
  • Jordan Kyrou (Playoff rate = 61; Regular Season rate = 83)

7 20.59%
  • Arturi Lehkonen (Playoff rate = 57; Regular Season rate = 42)

12 35.29%
  • Nathan MacKinnon (Playoff rate = 98; Regular Season rate = 111)

5 14.71%
  • Mitch Marner (Playoff rate = 93; Regular Season rate = 110)

7 20.59%
  • Ryan O’Rielly (Playoff rate = 82; Regular Season rate = 61)

4 11.76%
  • Alex Ovechkin (Playoff rate = 82; Regular Season rate = 96)

19 55.88%
  • Joe Pavelski (Playoff rate = 70; Regular Season rate = 81)

23 67.65%
  • Bryan Rust (Playoff rate = 93; Regular Season rate = 79)

1 2.94%
  • Brayden Schenn (Playoff rate = 54; Regular Season rate = 77)

13 38.24%
  • Matthew Tkachuk (Playoff rate = 68; Regular Season rate = 104)

11 32.35%
  • Frank Vatrano (Playoff rate = 53; Regular Season rate = 37)

19 55.88%
  • Mika Zibanejad (Playoff rate = 98; Regular Season rate = 82)

8 23.53%
  • Mats Zuccarello (Playoff rate = 57; Regular Season rate = 93)

17 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Playoff Scoring Barometers

The Great One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Playoff Scoring Barometers

I realize that the playoffs seem like a distant memory given all the activity stemming from free agency. But we should take the time now to think back to what happened in the second season and to determine whether it should be more of a barometer for how certain players will fare in 2022-23 than their 2021-22 regular season totals. So I've assembled a list of 20 skaters whose 2021-22 regular season scoring rate differed enough from their 2022 playoff scoring rate to wonder which version of that player we should expect to see in 2022-23.

VOTING GUIDELINES
    For each of the 20 voting choices, I've denoted his 2022 playoff scoring rate, plus his 2021-22 regular season scoring rate. You should vote for a player if you believe his 2022 playoff scoring rate will be closer to his 2022-23 regular season scoring rate than his 2021-22 regular season scoring rate. So let's say a player's scoring rate was 85 in the 2022 playoffs but 65 in the 2021-22 regular season. That means you should vote for him if you believe he will score at a 76+ point rate in the 2022-23 regular season, as that would mean he'd score at a rate closer to his 2022 playoff rate than his 2021-22 regular season scoring rate. The same idea would apply if the player did worse in the 2022 playoffs, such as if his 2022 playoff rate was 56 and his 2021-22 regular season rate was 80, then you would vote for him if you think his 2022-23 regular season scoring rate will be 67 or less, as that would be closer to his 2022 playoff rate than his 2021-22 regular season rate. And note that I'm referring to scoring rate, which means a player's 82 game pace, not necessarily his actual point total.

As usual, it would be great if you could make a post listing who you voted for and why, to help the rest of us get added insight.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Playoff Scoring Barometers

My votes went to:
    Hedman - I think 2021-22 was a career best, and he comes back to earth a bit
    Kreider - this is a guy who never scored at even a 60 point pace in his career prior to 2021-22
    Lehkonen - I think the Avs liked what they saw from him in the top six
    ROR - he's not over the hill yet
    Pavelski - I think DeBoer might deemphasize him
    Schenn - same as ROR
    Tkachuk - this should be a lay-up as long as he has chemistry with Barkov
    Vatrano - gets his long overdue spot in the top six
    Zuccarello - maybe Kaprizov's arrival is delayed due to the Russia situation, or even if it isn't Zucc has to slow at some point
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Easy pick for me, Vatrano.
    He just goes from two previous very road-blocked locations (FLA & NYR) to one with very little talent blocking him (ANA).
    He should get line 2 and PP2 time all year and perhaps sniffs at PP1.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Gaudreau - more likely to get less than 105p
    Hedman and Kucherov both drop a bit, but probably in between.
    Pavelski, Ovi and Zuccarello getting older, and the teams might not give them the same support as last season.
    Shenn drops to more regular production of <65p
    Vatrano should be able to be above 45p
    Yahoo Limited keeper: keep up to 8 players from the preceding season, but 2 of them has to be dropped at the end of the season, decided before the start. 'Keep eligible players' from draft round 11 and later, or undrafted.
    16 team league. H2H. League cats: G A +/- PIM PPP SHP SOG FW HIT BLK; W GAA SV SV% SHO
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench, 2IR
    Keepers 23/24 + cost of keeping. M Seider 2, B Tkachuk 5, D Batherson 4, D Cozens 1, W Johnston 1, F Gustavsson 1. Drafted and keep eligible: J Sanderson, T Harley, J Wallstedt

Dobber Sports Stud

Great poll. I mostly picked players whose playoff scoring rate had disappointed. Exceptions: 1). Lehkonen, given a full year in Colorado, and Vatrano, likely to achieve a top-6 spot.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Passes according to my calculations....:
    Joel Eriksson Ek
    Johnny Gaudreau
    Taylor Hall
    Chris Kreider
    Victor Hedman
    Lehkonen
    Marner
    Ovi
    B Schenn
    Zibanejad
    Zuccarello

Little over 50% Passed, and according to the poll, it's somewhat predictable, while guys like Pavelski defies expectations.