Thread: Pasta knock

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Pasta knock

Keep 7: 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G and 1 extra non-goalie player. I'm thinking of trading Pasta for Crosby. Hear me out... High scoring centers that win faceoffs are gold in my league. If Bergeron retires, that leaves only 7 or 8 of them. Crosby is still one of them and likely for at least next season and one after. In no universe can I see Pasta breaking PPG next season or really in the next 3 seasons. Can anyone please explain why I should keep Pasta over Crosby?

My keepers without making the trade: Zibanejad, Pasta, Tkachuk, Svech, Makar, Carlson, Jarry

My keepers with the trade: Zibanejad, Crosby, Tkachuk, Svech, Makar, Carlson, Jarry

I can make the trade based on the age of these players and the idea that Pasta can pop a 105 point season one day. I disagree unless he gets traded ASAP. I'm also not sure I like his work ethic either... seems lazy (certainly in pre-game warm-ups as he just stands there and shoots, lol).
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Pasta knock

In no universe can you see a player who has been at least a PPG player for 4 seasons break that PPG plateau in the next 3 years? Really? I think you may be overreacting to the recent news from Boston.

Even with the question marks for linemates, Pasta helps drive the play. He isn't just a passenger by any means. That's why he spent the majority of his ES playing time this year with Hall & Haula rather than Bergy & Marchand.

Now when it comes to the trade you are suggesting, I understand your logic and I don't hate the deal. But I think you would be selling low on Pasta. If you can get them to add a solid asset to offset the age difference (like a draft pick upgrade) then I would feel a little better about what you are proposing.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    In no universe can you see a player who has been at least a PPG player for 4 seasons break that PPG plateau in the next 3 years? Really? I think you may be overreacting to the recent news from Boston.

Even with the question marks for linemates, Pasta helps drive the play. He isn't just a passenger by any means. That's why he spent the majority of his ES playing time this year with Hall & Haula rather than Bergy & Marchand.

Now when it comes to the trade you are suggesting, I understand your logic and I don't hate the deal. But I think you would be selling low on Pasta. If you can get them to add a solid asset to offset the age difference (like a draft pick upgrade) then I would feel a little better about what you are proposing.
    This pretty much mirrors my thoughts. Certainly what is going on in Beantown is concerning, and this includes a report, which has been denied by Pasta's agent, that Pasta will not sign with the B's if Sweeney is still GM. Strange goings on in Boston for sure. However, we are talking Pasta here and he is clearly an elite NHL forward just hitting his prime. I fully agree with 4T2, I want a pick or a prospect coming back to offset the age difference.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Wizard

if pasta is lazy and still gets point per game in his carrier, imagine if he ever gets motivated....you absolutely keep him. To me he is top 5 RW in the league.

From your keeper list, if i had to choose. Im keeping him at least over Carlsson, Jarry and Svech.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I haven't been in a league that tracks Faceoff wins before so I am not sure how that would affect my rankings, however I feel like having PPG and GWG as cats and (no PPA) would balance things out for a goal heavy guy like Pasta. So in my head, they are fairly close as far as output but one is 8 or 9 years younger.
    I prefer Pasta unless you can get a decent sweetener, which likely is a pick upgrade since its only a keep 7 with no minors.
    2023 Champ
    11 Teams - 24 player rosters - 12 Keepers (max 2 goalies)
    Yahoo rotisserie - 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN ,2IR
    G, A, PPP, SHP, HITS, +-, PIM, BK, GS, W,GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Lindholm, Stephenson, Norris
    LW: Robertson,
    Fiala, Bertuzzi, Boldy,
    RW: Miller, Tarasenko, Seguin, Ehlers
    D: Hamilton, Karlsson,
    Bouchard, Nurse, Dobson, Larsson
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin
    B: Husso, Tippett, McCabe, TT.

Dobber Sports Titan

Pasta last 3yrs:
    190gp, 108G, 112A, +44, 84PIM, 41PPG, 16FW, 145hits, 49BLK

Crosby last 3yrs:
    165GP, 71G, 122A, +19, 73PIM, 17G, 1930FW, 122hits, 82BLK

Each one prolly ends up winning the same amount of cats, so it's a straight split to me. If you're worried about Pasta not getting help then Crosby should also be a concerning add as Letang and Malkin could be gone.

I think Pasta is the keep here. You now have a player that will 100% be the center of the offense finally.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

I think you'll be kicking yourself for years if you do this. Even a pick upgrade isn't enough, unless it's top two or something like that.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Pasta is one of the single most talented players in the entire NHL. His goal scoring ability is possibly top 3, but at least top 5. He's a young'ish RW who can score 50 any given year. You're over thinking it based on rumours and drama.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for all of that... I think I just needed to hear it from someone other than the voices in my head (separate issue, lol).
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    n no universe can I see Pasta breaking PPG next season or really in the next 3 seasons. Can anyone please explain why I should keep Pasta over Crosby?
    You might want to check whatever universe you are in, because you seem to have dimensionally shifted to one wholly unknown to you. As others have said, Pastrnak has been elite. Stands there and shoots seems like a good plan for a shooter.

Young elite wingers are gold in every league. You want a guy who helps you like Crosby? Go get Giroux in the draft, who wins a ton of faceoffs from the wing, admittedly scoring less.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I think you can find a player in the draft that compliments Crosby without giving up such a talented player in Pasta.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think having Pasta since he before he was al dente, I've started to take him for granted. He stays. Thanks all!

The Great One

I must be missing something. You are allowed to keep 1C. And have Zibanejad. And want to trade Pasta for a 2nd C in Crosby? Then what?

Dobber Sports Ace

keepers are 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G and 1 non-goalie xtra. So I can keep 2Cs. Perhaps a new question is whether to keep Svech, Guentzel, or DeAngelo as my xtra non-goalie keeper. Periphs are big in this league and high scoring Dmen are gold. I'm convinced by the good folks here to move away from the Crosby idea, so I'm leaning toward Svech because at 22 and with his growth seasons whacked a bit thanks to Covid - I think there's still another potential gear and his periphs already great. Pittsburgh is headed down the B-town path too, and I already have Jarry, so that's an additional deterrent for Guentzel too.