Thread: Patrik Laine - Breakout Threshold (400 Games Played)

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Patrik Laine - Breakout Threshold (400 Games Played)

I read a lot of Dobber articles that argue players 6’4” and taller don’t break out until closer to the 400 games played mark.

With Laine standing at 6’5” and 389 games played, is it possible we are seeing this right now?

I obviously don’t believe his pace of 15 goals in his last 16 games is sustainable for any player, but a shooting percentage of 19.6% on the season doesn’t seem out of line for a ‘break out’ considering he already has 2 seasons close to 18%.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Patrik Laine - Breakout Threshold (400 Games Played)

Put me in the camp that says this season (in total) is the norm for Laine.

Feel like this is less of a 'breakout' though and more of a 'living up to pedigree" situation. Meh - maybe that's my own semantics... but have taken some heat the past couple of years for supporting Laine's ceiling so I guess this just doesn't come as that much of a surprise to me.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Patrik Laine - Breakout Threshold (400 Games Played)

I do wonder if growing up will be a factor in him becoming a truly elite fantasy option. He is only turning 24 next month. He came into the league at 18 and scored 36 goals. I dont believe that was a fluke. If he can do that at 18, he can certainly hit 50-60 goals at his peak, which I think he is entering now. It takes a while to learn and practice proper nutrition. It takes a bit a maturity to become consistent. For all these factors, I think this year is a breakout. Meaning he will increase his scoring rate at a not insignificant percentage. He is approaching 90-100 point season territory now.