Thread: Necas vs J. Hughes (vs Bratt?)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Necas vs J. Hughes (vs Bratt?)

I'm assuming a worst case scenario here with the Canes signing Necas to Svechnikov-like contract with an AAV of $7-8 million, in which case I'd only be able to keep one of Hughes or Necas.

To this point in their careers, they are basically the same player with a slight edge to Necas (0.07 more PPG over an extra 20 games played), but Necas gets a boost from playing on a much better team and is a little over two years older. Necas is having a down year while Hughes seems to be breaking out but has been hampered by his inability to stay healthy.

I'm leaning Necas right now, largely because of how much better than Canes are than the Devils, but also because Necas isn't the peripheral black hole that Hughes is. But I'm not sold on that. I wonder if I'm undervaluing Hughes offensive potential in favour of the handful of hits and blocks that Necas will provide.

Then there's Bratt, who's the wild card in this situation. Looking at career stats, he makes this a trio of identical players (0.02 more PPG than Necas over 110 more games). But he's a year and a half older than Necas. That said, I don't think he has the prospect pedigree to sign a big RFA contract on the basis of one good season. So, for that reason, I'd rank him third here, simply because while I can't keep Necas and Hughes, I might be able to keep Bratt and one of Necas or Hughes.

So, that makes my ranking:
    1. Necas
    2. Hughes
    3. Bratt

Does that make sense? Am I out of my mind?
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Necas vs J. Hughes (vs Bratt?)

I would expect Hughes to sign for significantly more than Necas. Hughes is their franchise guy, a #1 overall pick. Necas is decidely not that. I don't think you're crazy at all, and I supsect Bratt will come pretty cheaply as well, but the deal may be short.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Hughes will get more money than Hischier so take that for what it's worth. I dont see Necas getting a Svechnikov deal. My crystal ball sees a bridge deal in the off-season.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hughes signed earlier this year for $8m x 8 years.

That’s an excellent contract for what is going to be a superstar, and the kinds of contracts you want to hang on to as the value on it after a year or two will be insane. He’ll be worth the 8m next year, let alone for the 7 yrs after that.

I know you have other categories beyond points, but the gap between Hughes and necas is huge for points and should be prioritized

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Necas will get a bridge deal that's more of a "show me" contract. He was tabbed for a breakout year this year and all advanced stats pointed to it. However, he's been a dramatic disappointment this year.
    14 team head to head, 7 keepers
    G, A, PPP, HITS, PIM, +/-, GWG, W, L, SO, SV%
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2 Utility, 2G, 4 bench, 1IR+
    F - Matthews, Marner, McDavid, Debrincat, Thomas, Jeannot, Vilardi, Zegras, Guentzel, Zibanejad
    D - Dahlin, Bouchard, Lauzon, Durzi,. Chychrun
    G - Samsonov, Gustavsson, Askarov

16 team head to head, 15 keepers
    G, A, PPP, SOG, Hit, Block, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 1F, 4D, 1 Utility, 2G
    F - McDavid, Tavares, Kucherov, Meier, Duchene, Foerster P. Kane, Pastrnak, R. Smith, Forsberg, Poitras, W. Johnston

D - Josi, Reilly, Faber, Matheson, Nemec,
    G - Vasilevskiy, Merzlikins, Vladar, Cossa

The Great One

Hughes

Necas

Bratt
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Hughes

Necas

Bratt
    Tis ^^^^

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Circling back to this, it's going to be all about the contracts. There's a scenario where I'd put Bratt as my priority to keep, honestly.

If you can afford one of Necas or Hughes, but you can definitely afford Bratt, then you offer the other 2 more heavily. I do suspect Hughes will be the highest paid by a fair amount, so you'll have to see how it shakes out.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.