Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Joe Rogan controversy

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Joe Rogan controversy

Who's making the argument that it's ok to say then?

I think you're just arguing with yourself at this point lol

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    ABD.

AUW.

Always.
    Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post

I think it might have to do with ABD and AUW - but can neither confirm nor deny that.

But its also very possible that ABD and AUW are arguing with themselves as well.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I think it might have to do with ABD and AUW - but can neither confirm nor deny that.

But its also very possible that ABD and AUW are arguing with themselves as well.
    ABD was agreeing with AUW until "always" came into the picture, then they never agreed.

Dobber Sports Titan

I honestly don't know what the argument is here? Do people think Spotify should drop him for saying the N-word? Is the argument it's ok to say based on context so Rogan shouldn't be in trouble? Is the argument that Joe Rogan gets a pass because his workplace promotes stuff like this?

The issues are pretty vague right now I think with the arguments here.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Lolol probably this. Wouldn't be the first time

Dobber Sports Icon

Thanks for the compliment.

However, I was referring to the narrative of the story. When it is not a quote from one of the characters.

I recently read the A Time to Kill series and it gets used a lot in the first book.
    You do realize that A Time to Kill was inspired by a real event that happened in Mississippi in 1984, right? And that 1984 was almost 40 years ago and lots has changed in the world over that time.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    You do realize that A Time to Kill was inspired by a real event that happened in Mississippi in 1984, right? And that 1984 was almost 40 years ago and lots has changed in the world over that time.
    No no. he just always has to be disingenuous.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I honestly don't know what the argument is here? Do people think Spotify should drop him for saying the N-word? Is the argument it's ok to say based on context so Rogan shouldn't be in trouble? Is the argument that Joe Rogan gets a pass because his workplace promotes stuff like this?

The issues are pretty vague right now I think with the arguments here.
    I think the issue is that Spotify isn't sure exactly where to go with this. When it was just the Young issue, Spotify made it pretty clear that they were 100 percent behind Rogan. Then when the racist issues were brought to light, Spotify definitely changed their stance. It changed from a hard "we support everything Joe Rogan", into a "we definitely don't agree with Rogan or share his values, but we don't think we are going to censor him" kind of stance.

I get the feeling they are doing damage control and considering the ramifications of keeping him or dropping him. I 100 percent feel that their main motivation is money, however they will try to spin it as "we feel as though this is the right thing to do" regardless of whether they keep or fire him.

I also find the situation Rogan is in interesting. I will never say that what he did is right although I am not sure I would even suggest he is racist. I feel like he has very intentionally been trying to stay relevant and huge. As part of that, I feel that he tries very hard to be interesting and controversial as it is such a key part to millions of weekly listens. He constantly tries to flirt with the line between acceptable and not acceptable and he is very aware that pushing that boundary could cross the line from time to time. I also have no doubt that he is very aware that if Spotify drops him, he will be fine. He may find himself with another service which actually encourages him to say these kinds of things.

One of the reasons I don't like him now as much as I used to, is because I feel as though it's largely an act now to draw views and less honest than he used to be. It doesn't feel genuine to me anymore.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The Great One

I think Spotify has made it pretty clear......

Daniel Ek, the chief executive of Spotify, addressed Joe Rogan's past use of racial slurs on Sunday night, telling staff in a memo that while he found the comments "incredibly hurtful" and inconsistent with company values, he did not believe "silencing" the podcaster was the answer.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    No no. he just always has to be disingenuous.
    Thanks for using a complete sentence this time.

And thanks again for another compliment.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports All-Star

Rogan is a comedian. Pre-Spotify he was all for stopping the pandemic with vaccines. Presently his stance has turned more against the vaccines because he is pandering more to his audience. He's doing it because it makes him money. He moved from California to Texas to save him money. His podcast is his megaphone. I listen to it from time to time but don't take him as seriously as others. Most of the time he's high or drunk when he does it, that doesn't help his cause (or maybe it does depends on how you take him).

As for the use of the N word, most of the situations seemed to be context but that Planet of the Apes bit was a bit too far. If we go back and look at prime Howard Stern then it might be worse. Especially for women. Just remember, we have a choice to listen to him.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Stud

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's ok he's black