Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan controversy

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Joe Rogan controversy

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    FWIW, showing someone using the N-word is never "out of context". It's a very easy word to substitute or not say. If you're choosing to say it, the context doesn't matter.
    I disagree. Were a civilized society. Context and intention is everything. This isn't Harry Potter, and were not talking about him who must not be named.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Star

FWIW, showing someone using the N-word is never "out of context". It's a very easy word to substitute or not say. If you're choosing to say it, the context doesn't matter.
    Why is it okay to say "N-word" then, if it's just a substitution and we all know what it means? You just said it in a way that nobody would take issue with, but would it not be offensive if you went up to a black person and said "move it, N-word!!!" One usage can be much more offensive than another. Context matters, and it's a slippery slope.

Dobber Sports Stud

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Why is it okay to say "N-word" then, if it's just a substitution and we all know what it means? You just said it in a way that nobody would take issue with, but would it not be offensive if you went up to a black person and said "move it, N-word!!!" One usage can be much more offensive than another. Context matters, and it's a slippery slope.
    Sorry, to be perfectly explicit.

If you're quoting someone or having a direct conversation of the word, and replacing the direct word with a substitution, so as to not be explicitly derogatory but also not misquote, there isn't much you can do there.

If you're directing it toward someone, it's explicit no matter the context or substitution.

Context matters as to why you are using a substitution. Context doesn't matter at all in actually using the word.

Dobber Sports Star

What about the context of you are Leonardo Dicaprio in Django Unchained? Does that provide enough context to be acceptable? If Leonardo has literally never said the word out of character, does that make it OK?

Interestingly about that, I saw an interview with Samuel Jackson who said that before they shot it, Leonardo Dicaprio was really torn up about it. He told Jackson "listen, I am not sure I can do this" to which Jackson replied "don't lose a moment sleep over this. It's just another Tuesday to me"...

Rylant

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, to be perfectly explicit.

If you're quoting someone or having a direct conversation of the word, and replacing the direct word with a substitution, so as to not be explicitly derogatory but also not misquote, there isn't much you can do there.

If you're directing it toward someone, it's explicit no matter the context or substitution.

Context matters as to why you are using a substitution. Context doesn't matter at all in actually using the word.
    Could not agree more.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    What about the context of you are Leonardo Dicaprio in Django Unchained? Does that provide enough context to be acceptable? If Leonardo has literally never said the word out of character, does that make it OK?

Interestingly about that, I saw an interview with Samuel Jackson who said that before they shot it, Leonardo Dicaprio was really torn up about it. He told Jackson "listen, I am not sure I can do this" to which Jackson replied "don't lose a moment sleep over this. It's just another Tuesday to me"...

Rylant

- - - Updated - - -

Could not agree more.

Rylant
    Reminds me of Blazing Saddles... sheesh, I'm surprised that movie hasn't been banned (by people who completely missed the point of it)
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

I heard someone aptly describe Joe Rogan as "someone who believes the last thing someone said to him"

Neil Young has tossed around his own snake oil over the years, so whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

Rylant

- - - Updated - - -

Could not agree more.

Rylant
    Leonardo DiCaprio didn't say it. His character Calvin Candie did. We're supposed to negatively judge that character for it's use.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

So what about when used in a John Grisham novel?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    So what about when used in a John Grisham novel?
    You're again disingenuously asking about a fictional character using it as opposed to a real person.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I heard someone aptly describe Joe Rogan as "someone who believes the last thing someone said to him"

Neil Young has tossed around his own snake oil over the years, so whatever.
    No question. I also know that Young has been hating on Spotify for years so this may come across as a little disingenuous. I am not sure how much of him asking for removal is actually about Rogan.

I will admit, selfishly I really enjoy much of Neil Young's music. I also get my music through Spotify. Not that I would be tossing down support for Neil Young by leaving Spotify. I certainly think he has the right to do what he did, but I am not so supportive of his cause that I will drop Spotify for that reason. But, I do want to listen to his music again so I am considering my options...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Leonardo DiCaprio didn't say it. His character Calvin Candie did. We're supposed to negatively judge that character for it's use.
    I definitely see your point. It's not like an actor who's character beats his wife, also beats his wife. However I suppose there is an argument, for Calvin Candie to say the word, Leonardo Dicaprio also has to actually say the word.

Rylant

You're again disingenuously asking about a fictional character using it as opposed to a real person.
    Thanks for the compliment.

However, I was referring to the narrative of the story. When it is not a quote from one of the characters.

I recently read the A Time to Kill series and it gets used a lot in the first book.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Thanks for the compliment.

However, I was referring to the narrative of the story. When it is not a quote from one of the characters.

I recently read the A Time to Kill series and it gets used a lot in the first book.
    Congratulations on being unable to distinguish between fiction writing and real life. Everything makes so much more sense now.

Also, ultimately it's probably unacceptable. However having it in a fictional book released in 1988 is significantly different than continually using it in 2010-2021.

Congratulations on being unable to distinguish between fiction writing and real life. Everything makes so much more sense now.
    So a fiction author has the right to use the word freely?

​​