Thread: Trade Offer Feedback - Shesterkin for Blues Goalie Cuff

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Trade Offer Feedback - Shesterkin for Blues Goalie Cuff

Good Morning,

Many of you have given me solid advice in the past and I was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on the trade offer I was offered last evening.

League Info:
    Yahoo H2H - Daily Line-Up - Keep 5 - Trading Draft picks allowed
    Roster Positions: C, C, LW, RW, F, F, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR+, IR+, IR+, IR+
    Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: G, A, P, (+/-), PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW
    Goaltenders Stat Categories: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

I was offered:
    Blues Goalie Cuff - Binnington/Husso/Pastranak Draft Picks - 1st Rd / 5th Rd

For My:
    Shesterkin / R. Hartman / Draft Picks - 6th Rd / 7 Rd.

My Team:
    C Ryan Hartman Min - C,RW
    C Leon Draisaitl Edm - C,LW 
    LW Alex Killorn TB - LW,RW
    RW Alex DeBrincat Chi - LW,RW 
    F Cam Atkinson Phi - RW
    F Elias Lindholm Cgy - C,RW 
    D Torey Krug StL - D
    D Roman Josi Nsh - D
    D (Empty)
    Util Matt Duchene Nsh - C,RW
    G Tristan Jarry Pit - G
    G Igor Shesterkin NYR - G 
    BN Barclay Goodrow NYR - C,LW,RW
    BN Ilya Mikheyev Tor - LW,RW
    BN Colton Sissons Nsh - C,RW
    IR Chandler Stephenson VGK - C,LW
    IR+ Jonathan Toews Chi - C
    BN Casey DeSmith Pit - G
    BN Alexandar Georgiev NYR - G

Notes of importance: I am currently in 2nd place. (258 PTS) Offering GM is in 7th (240 PTS) Top 8 teams make playoffs. GM in 8th place has 227 PTS. As of now I have no fear of making playoffs. I would like to always strengthen my team as needed. Not sure of the offering GM intentions. Usually this is a very savy GM who makes good deals. He got beat up this past week and fell several spots. Obviously he wants to strengthen his goaltending, but not sure why he is willing to give up Pastrnak. (???)

I would love to strengthen my scoring, HOWEVER, one simply does not trade a potential Vienza Trophy candidate like Shesterkin.

I honestly do not think the Blues tandem is better than Shesterkin. However, what if I counter by lowering the price.

Are the Blues goalies better than Jarry? I could counter with Jarry for the Blues Goalies and Guentzel instead of Pastrnak. Thoughts?
    I would hate to trade Hartman as I need his scoring and FOW until Toews and Stephenson return from IR. Though Stephenson is COVID (+) and could return sooner than later.

Question #1
    Do you pull the trigger for the 1st Deal?
    Binnigton/ Husso / Past / Draft Picks for Shester / Hartman / Draft picks

I'm leaning no but leads to my counter offer offer.

Question #2
    IF the other GM would accept do you offer a counter offer of Jarry / Hartman / Picks for Blues goalie cuff and Guentzel / Draft picks.?

I would love to have Guentzel to booster my scoring.

I guess the real question is .... what is the value of the Blues goalies? Obviously I have Shester > Blues Goalies and therefore I will not move Shester. However are the Blues Goalies > Jarry? Does Jarry remain #1 in Pittsburgh next year? I would think so. What about Binnington vs Husso next year. In essence I could be picking very late in the draft next year.

Last note: Goalies are considered a premium in this league. Once you get 1 or 2 good ones on your roster, GM's tend to hang on to them or you will have to pay through the nose.

I greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions and I thank you in advance.

Best,
    pilldoc
    League #1
    Yahoo 14 team Keep 5 Keeper League

Roster Positions: C, C, LW, RW, F, F, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR+, IR+, IR+, IR+
    Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: , A, P, (+/-), PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW

C (x2): Bedard / Draisaitl
    LW: Stutzle
    RW: Giroux
    F (x2): Bratt / Terry
    D (x3): Heiskanen / Morrissey / Jones
    Util: Jenner
    G (x2): Korpisalo / Grubauer

BN (x4): D. Teows / Boldy / UPL / B. Schenn

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Trade Offer Feedback - Shesterkin for Blues Goalie Cuff

Last note: Goalies are considered a premium in this league. Once you get 1 or 2 good ones on your roster, GM's tend to hang on to them or you will have to pay through the nose.

……..

I think your answer is right there. Nothing wrong with trading a goalie but as you said, if you’re gonna trade a guy like that, and he’s in the top 5 at the most valuable position in your league, you should be able to land Pastrnak and some without trading away anything more.

For what it’s worth, this feels like a sell low on Shesterkin and a buy low on Pastrnak.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post

Â…Â…..

I think your answer is right there. Nothing wrong with trading a goalie but as you said, if youÂ’re gonna trade a guy like that, and heÂ’s in the top 5 at the most valuable position in your league, you should be able to land Pastrnak and some without trading away anything more.

For what itÂ’s worth, this feels like a sell low on Shesterkin and a buy low on Pastrnak.
    Yeah I was suspecting a buy low on Pasta. I really have no intention on trading Shester. My main question is ...are the Blues goalies better than Jarry and from what I have been reading, there is a potential goalie struggle going on and that Husso may slowly taking over the starting goalie job. IF some feel the Husso/Binnington combo is better than Jarry I "migh" pull the trigger, but my gut tells me Jarry is better than Binnington/Husso than I stand pat.

Appreciate your input ......
    League #1

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Shesty, especially for any kind of keeper league is an extremely hard no to sell unless it's a massive overpayment. Imagine someone trading Vasi 5 years ago for a "good package" they would be banging their head against the wall. Rags look like they will be contenders for at least the next 4 years or so (Really hard to look farther then that). Shesty is a key piece of that and is looking like a front runner for the Vez this year.

The Jarry trade, eh, Binger sucks, even if Husso keeps up this level of play (which I think he won't), his numbers will still be better then Binger's but as you're playing the two of them, Binger is going to bring save % and GAA down. Pittsburgh doesn't have a backup to Jarry (at least not a good one) so he's going to get the lion's share of the load and will have better save % and GAA then the STL duo I imagine.
    Only way this makes sense, is if you're worried about Jarry getting injured, which would be bad, wherein if you had the STL handcuff, if one got hurt you'd be ok...(Unless it was Husso and they called Lindgren up and he stole starts from Binger...so 50/50? bahaha!)

Shesty = hell no
    Jarry = If you're worried about him getting hurt (there is a history there) then, the deal makes sense, but outside of that, I wouldn't do it.

p.s. biased here, never liked Binger, struck me as a guy who isn't a legit #1 and when Blues gave him that massive contract I laughed and said they'd regret it horribly very soon!
    12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23, 23/24)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov

Dobber Sports Star

No to both offers. Unless it is cheap, I don't see how you can trade for the St.L tandem whereby you're trading away the best player. This is especially true with Shestyorkin, who is a keep 5 in almost any league.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

While I like getting Pastrnak & more stuff, I think that there's more I need to know. Pastrnak & Igor are keepers in a keep 5, so the questions are:

1. Where is that 1st round pick likely to fall, and what players were available around that spot in this past draft?
    2. How are your playoff spots, if any determined, and are you reasonably certain to be able to get in?

His reasoning on offering Pastrnak is that he needs an elite player going in trade for Igor. I love Guentzel, but he needs more if he's dealing the Blues goalies.
    If you can sell Jarry and Guentzel as substitutes, that works well.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    While I like getting Pastrnak & more stuff, I think that there's more I need to know. Pastrnak & Igor are keepers in a keep 5, so the questions are:

1. Where is that 1st round pick likely to fall, and what players were available around that spot in this past draft?
    2. How are your playoff spots, if any determined, and are you reasonably certain to be able to get in?

His reasoning on offering Pastrnak is that he needs an elite player going in trade for Igor. I love Guentzel, but he needs more if he's dealing the Blues goalies.
    If you can sell Jarry and Guentzel as substitutes, that works well.

Great questions!!!

In answer to your first question, it is hard to say at this moment where that 1st pick could fall. As of now that particular GM is at #7. In our League the top 8 teams make playoffs (out of 14.) That pick would be in the middle of the first round. As far as who would be available? Can't be answered at the moment since we do not declare our keepers until about 4 weeks before the draft. Traditionally "IF" there are any goalies left exposed, they usually get drafted in first round. (4 goalies drafted in 1st round this past year ....MAF (#2) / Jarry (#6) / Sorokn (#8) / Mrazek (#14) and goalies draft in 2nd Round ... in order Knight / Kakohnen / Grubauer / Halak / Lankinen / Nedeljkovic) Most GM's keep at least goalie and some even keep 2. In the 3rd round is when "most" of the offensive D-men get drafted. Since high scoring d-men are rare, they are also a hot commodity.

In answer to your second question. I currently sit in 2nd place with 258 pts. The current 1st place GM has 267 pts. The GM holding the 8th and final playoff spot has 227 pts. Including this week there are 8 weeks to go. 4 of the GM's I face are weaker teams the other 4 GM's I face will be much tougher. This is a very savy League with 12 out 14 GM's being highly experienced. In all honesty this is very tough League to compete in. If all goes well this should be the first time I make the playoffs, missing just out in years past. Baring an epic collapse, I am > 95% confident I will make the playoffs and my goal is to make it to the Finals.

As others have mentioned and as I have said. There is NO way I am parting with Shester. He is going to be a stud goalie for the next 4-5 years. I grabbed him the minute he became available 2 years ago. Several of my fellow GM's lamented how they missed out by about 15-30 minutes..LOL.

Again, as I mentioned above, and as some have responded back...What is the true worth of the Blues Goalies? Are they better than Jarry. My gut says no and several on here confirmed my suspicions. If it was close, I would consider trading Jarry for the Blues goalies AND I would still want the pick upgrade and Guentzel. I could either keep the pick and try to see what 2nd tier goalies are available come draft time, or I flip the pick an strengthen my offense even more.

My whole intent of this thread was to see what others thought of the Blues duo as compared to Jarry. Some of my buddies feel Binnington is over rated...(I agree) and that Husso fools gold and it is just a matter of time before the slipper falls off cinderella.

As one poster mentioned above .... Im dead if Jarry gets hurt as DeSmith is not the answer.

Again...Thank you again to all who have responded. I greatly appreciate it!
    League #1