Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max Comtois

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Max Comtois

Has anybody watched a lot of him last year and this year before he got hurt? What happened to this kid? I wanted to draft him last year and somebody beat me to him and now he’s available but just curious if any fans have insight on this. He was off the hook in banger leagues and I’m curious if anybody thinks he can get back on track this season. He’s young and hasn’t had a lot of runway so maybe that works in his favour.
    14 team, H2H, Keeper League (Goals, Assists, PPP, Hits, Blocks, GWG, GAA, SV%, SO, Wins)

L: Huberdeau, Kaprizov, J Robertson, E Kane, Knies,
    C: Barkov, Hischier, Zegras, Scheifele, Rossi
    R: Marner, Caulfield, P Kane, Raymond
    D: Sargechev, Makar, Power, Chychrun, L Schenn, Jiricek
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Saros,

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Max Comtois

if you can get him for next to nothing its good investment. If you need to pay for what we think he can be then walk away....

i think he will be 50-60 points power forward in this league for years to come...very good guy in multiact leagues....think Palmieri/Schenn kind of multicat production in their prime.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    if you can get him for next to nothing its good investment. If you need to pay for what we think he can be then walk away....

i think he will be 50-60 points power forward in this league for years to come...very good guy in multiact leagues....think Palmieri/Schenn kind of multicat production in their prime.
    I can get him for literally nothing. Just have to drop J Dahlen and he’s mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post

How would you rank Mittelstadt, J Dahlen and Comtois considering it’s a banger league? Comtois is the only Bangor but the offensive upside of the other 2 is interesting.

Anybody else? This forum used to be a lot more active. Where did everyone go, it’s prime time hockey season?

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd probably rank them Mittelstadt, Comtois, Dahlen.

I tend to agree that Comtois has not yet had his best season and will get more consistent over the next three years.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Ace

I think last season, in which Comtois played very well, might be around the best we will see him over the course of a season unfortunately. Still a productive player. Maybe he can reach 60 points one day, but I would say that is his ceiling. All though, he looked absolutely AWFUL early this season prior to his injury. Maybe it's because he was already injured or something, but he just didn't look like the same player. So it's difficult to say which Comtois will show up. In the past, there has been this perception that he just isn't a very driven and motivated individual. That he sometimes appears to just be going through the motions. Which, for a guy who actually plays a physical game, is a bit odd and out of the ordinary, but not impossible. I definitely overpaid for him last season just for my playoff run and with the hopes that we were seeing the real Comtois. But after watching him a few games early this season, I traded him away immediately before the bottom fell out of his value, which I imagine is the case now.

So yea, I think he's worth a pickup in banger leagues. And while Mittelstadt does probably have a higher ceiling, I am not at all optimistic he will ever become the player he can be. And at this point, I think Dahlen's "potential" has all but dissolved. So in banger leagues at least, I think I would still have Comtois first out of that group. But I am not sure being the best out of those 3 is really much of an achievement. I would probably pick up Comtois in your case, especially if he can be IR'd, but if he and Mitt are available in your league, I would hazard a guess that there are possibly even better, higher potential players still available as well. So while I would hold Comtois if you can in an IR spot, I would continue to search the WW for a plausibly better option when it comes time for Comtois to return or after he does return.

In the long run, I am really not sure if there will be a big difference between Comtois, say Lawson Crouse or perhaps Luke Kunin. All though, of those 3, I actually prefer Kunin long term in peripherals leagues. Just based on what I think they have the potential to be I would list them Kunin, Comtois then Crouse. But Comtois could still end up the best of the 3. And if we are talking about this kind of powerforward and their potential, I actually think I prefer Kieffer Bellows long term to all 3 of the others. But he still hasn't proven anything, so it's just speculation on my part. And yes, lol, these are all players I own now or owned. Comtois the only one I have traded away so far.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    I think last season, in which Comtois played very well, might be around the best we will see him over the course of a season unfortunately. Still a productive player. Maybe he can reach 60 points one day, but I would say that is his ceiling. All though, he looked absolutely AWFUL early this season prior to his injury. Maybe it's because he was already injured or something, but he just didn't look like the same player. So it's difficult to say which Comtois will show up. In the past, there has been this perception that he just isn't a very driven and motivated individual. That he sometimes appears to just be going through the motions. Which, for a guy who actually plays a physical game, is a bit odd and out of the ordinary, but not impossible. I definitely overpaid for him last season just for my playoff run and with the hopes that we were seeing the real Comtois. But after watching him a few games early this season, I traded him away immediately before the bottom fell out of his value, which I imagine is the case now.

So yea, I think he's worth a pickup in banger leagues. And while Mittelstadt does probably have a higher ceiling, I am not at all optimistic he will ever become the player he can be. And at this point, I think Dahlen's "potential" has all but dissolved. So in banger leagues at least, I think I would still have Comtois first out of that group. But I am not sure being the best out of those 3 is really much of an achievement. I would probably pick up Comtois in your case, especially if he can be IR'd, but if he and Mitt are available in your league, I would hazard a guess that there are possibly even better, higher potential players still available as well. So while I would hold Comtois if you can in an IR spot, I would continue to search the WW for a plausibly better option when it comes time for Comtois to return or after he does return.

In the long run, I am really not sure if there will be a big difference between Comtois, say Lawson Crouse or perhaps Luke Kunin. All though, of those 3, I actually prefer Kunin long term in peripherals leagues. Just based on what I think they have the potential to be I would list them Kunin, Comtois then Crouse. But Comtois could still end up the best of the 3. And if we are talking about this kind of powerforward and their potential, I actually think I prefer Kieffer Bellows long term to all 3 of the others. But he still hasn't proven anything, so it's just speculation on my part. And yes, lol, these are all players I own now or owned. Comtois the only one I have traded away so far.
    Thanks for this in-depth incite. I didn’t watch much Ducks hockey last year but I’m watching now. Zegras and the rest of the kids have been very fun to watch. If Max can find his game again, I like his ceiling as you stated provided he plays hard and gets those hits but that’s a lot of ifs. I will be keeping my eyes on Kunin and Bellows in case one of them hatches. I’ll also keep an eye on your posts to add my thoughts in the future.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by toddycat View Post
    Thanks for this in-depth incite. I didn’t watch much Ducks hockey last year but I’m watching now. Zegras and the rest of the kids have been very fun to watch. If Max can find his game again, I like his ceiling as you stated provided he plays hard and gets those hits but that’s a lot of ifs. I will be keeping my eyes on Kunin and Bellows in case one of them hatches. I’ll also keep an eye on your posts to add my thoughts in the future.
    Thanks!

Just to be clear, I am not saying Kunin or Bellows will amount to anything substantial, but I just think they have the talent to eventually do so if put in the right position. All though Kunin has had opportunity this season so far and hasn't done a whole lot offensively, but I think both he and Bellows are like still 23 years old, Comtois only a few months younger. Bellows has looked very good with the Isles the past 2 games, not so much earlier in the season, all be it a small sample size.

take care!
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri

Dobber Sports Sage

Mittlestadt is the least banger player I can think of. If he was any softer he would be lactating.
    Dahlen has been ok so far but he is again not someone that elicits "banger" in description.
    I recently reacquired Comtois for pennies on the dollar. Great time to buy. Anaheim looks like a team on the rise.
    Despite the brief spell of crappy play early on, I still like Max in a multi-cat better than others listed on this thread so far.
    If Bellows' last name were Jones or Smith he would not have been drafted in Round 1.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Mittlestadt is the least banger player I can think of. If he was any softer he would be lactating.
    Dahlen has been ok so far but he is again not someone that elicits "banger" in description.
    I recently reacquired Comtois for pennies on the dollar. Great time to buy. Anaheim looks like a team on the rise.
    Despite the brief spell of crappy play early on, I still like Max in a multi-cat better than others listed on this thread so far.
    If Bellows' last name were Jones or Smith he would not have been drafted in Round 1.

WHAAAT kind of crazy statement is that? COMTOIS was the one that actually fell to the 2nd round, if he ever was even supposed to be a 1st rounder. Bellows was ALWAYS a 1st rounder, nothing to do with his name. I will just quote his scouting report back before he was drafted:

"50 goals with the USNTDP is no easy feat. In fact, the half-century mark had been reached just once before Kieffer Bellows reached it this season. Bellows is one of the top goalscorers in USNTDP history, up there with Phil Kessel, Auston Matthews, and Jack Eichel."

"He is also the USHL's all-time best U17 goalscorer, and one of the best point producers. If it's not clear by now, he is an incredible goalscorer."

"Despite not being big by NHL standards, he is very physically mature and imposes his will on the ice. Bellows is a natural goal-scorer and possesses a heavy shot. He knows it’s a weapon and isn’t afraid to pull the trigger from anywhere in the offensive zone. He’s mastered the lost art of the high-velocity backhand; goalies need to be wary anytime he has the puck on his stick in close. Bellows also has an understated intelligence in the offensive zone: he seems to always be in the right place at the right time, and he finds soft spots to get open for one-timers. He plays with a dogged determination, is relentless in puck pursuit, exploits mistakes and wins battles. He also shows a bit of a mean streak and isn’t afraid to mix it up at all."

"Bellows’ approach towards every shift is to keep himself involved at all times in order to acquire the puck, using his physical gifts and wide frame to protect it as he maneuvers towards the net. Take our word for it – if a defender is nervous going back for the puck, Bellows will sniff it out and exploit that fear. He plays an aggressive, sometimes stubborn game, often too much for his own good. Getting whistled for bad penalties is a habit he’s had since high school, and fixing that should be a training objective when he plays for Boston University next season. When he keeps his emotions in check, however, he can be an unstoppable force."

And sure, he hasn't progressed like many had hoped. And frankly, I think the Isles should have had him up last season and put him in a position to do better. He had a great intro into the NHL last season and then was taken off the top 9. But he's just 23 and a powerforward and traditionally powerforwards can take longer to develop. Especially if not given good opportunity by their teams. Comtois on the other hand has been given opportunity early and last year it finally paid off. And if Comtois played with half the desire and drive that Bellows plays with, I might fully agree with you. But Comtois doesn't play with even half that drive, never has and likely never will. Which is unfortunate because he is talented. But then, so is Bellows.

Bellows FELL a bit in the draft to #19. And while I don't think he will all of a sudden turn into Ovi or a Tkachuk, given the opportunity, he still has the talent and ability to be a very effective power forward at the NHL level.

But more importantly, he was a SUREFIRE 1st round draft pick and it had absolutely nothing to do with his name and everything to do with his actual play. He's relatively comparable with guys taken earlier in this year's draft, Bouchard and Othmann.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Sage

I dont think its that crazy of a statement at all.
    I congratulate you on all your quotes and stuff. Pre-draft hype is not the same as facts and results.
    Bellows was drafted by his dad's team in the bottom half of the first.
    Nepotism is a thing, you should look into it.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I dont think its that crazy of a statement at all.
    I congratulate you on all your quotes and stuff. Pre-draft hype is not the same as facts and results.
    Bellows was drafted by his dad's team in the bottom half of the first.
    Nepotism is a thing, you should look into it.
    You know what else is real? Fallacious logic and poor reasoning skills. Which you clearly display. YOU should look into it.

"Pre-draft hype is not the same as facts and results." -- Um, Pre-draft ANALYSIS is how teams decide who to DRAFT. RESULTS, to which I assume you mean after the player has been drafted do not factor into it. But if you are referring to RESULTS, prior to the draft, then Bellows clearly displays those results at every single level before the draft. Making your opinion, well, absurd.

And which FACTS do you want to talk about? The fact that he was one of the best USHL players ever? The fact that he was a goal scoring machine? The fact that he continued to play well in the WHL?

You state "facts and results" yet you use absolutely ZERO facts or results to actually prove your point. You are just making a statement of opinion, based on absolute subjectivity and trying to pass it off as "facts" while it is nothing even remotely close.

You haven't support your statements at all. More to the point, your statements completely contradict pre-draft ANALYSIS (which you conflate with hype). But it's understandable because clearly you are confused.

Yea, nepotism does exist. And so does talent, and Kieffer Bellows has always had that in spades. But more to the point, he's generally produced at every level now except the NHL. Including the AHL, where in his second season he scored 31 points in 52 games. Not bad for a sophomore season in the A.

You do realize your OPINION is completely the minority opinion right? That there is NOTHING to support your assertion? Making it, completely baseless. Not to say he hasn't struggled SINCE being drafted. He has to an extent, but he's also had some success in developing.

But we are talking about PRE-Draft here. And in regard to PRE-DRAFT, your comments are absolutely garbage.

Here's more actual evidence for you. But please, do go on with your preposterous solipsism.

https://dobberprospects.com/player/kieffer-bellows/
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Was listening to the NHL network on XM radio yesterday I believe and they had a guy on talking about the ducks, apparently he was playing with an injured hand this season before shutting it down to get a bone surgically removed from his hand, seems to be better and has been skating the whole time, take it as you will about the injury/surgery

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by tictactao View Post
    Was listening to the NHL network on XM radio yesterday I believe and they had a guy on talking about the ducks, apparently he was playing with an injured hand this season before shutting it down to get a bone surgically removed from his hand, seems to be better and has been skating the whole time, take it as you will about the injury/surgery
    That could certainly account for the difference in play between this and last season.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.