Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Evander Kane

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Evander Kane

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...is-there-a-fit

His style of game would add great much needed depth to Edmonton, but do they really want that cancer in the dressing room?

Do you sell your soul at the crossroads for a shot at a cup.....
    https://mobile.twitter.com/GMillerTS...98614238171137

Sounds like the answer may just be yes.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...is-there-a-fit

His style of game would add great much needed depth to Edmonton, but do they really want that cancer in the dressing room?

Do you sell your soul at the crossroads for a shot at a cup.....
    They might, but they may also be looking for a goalie instead.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    They might, but they may also be looking for a goalie instead.
    Or both LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Filing a grievance in this case is very loosely like filing a wrongful termination suit. You can get a job while that is happening.

I don't know how strong of a case Kane has, but the NHLPA has to do this for the other players they represent since they don't want this to be an easy way out for teams in the future. I'm sure teams hide a lot of illegal activity, and the union doesn't want that to be a potential easy out of a bad contract.

As for the potential of a contract, I'm surprised. Kane can bring a TON of value if you can keep him straight for 50games. He'd be at 1.5m-2m (what he's looking for) and at that value, if he sucks or becomes a cancer in the room, you can bury him in the AHL and just tell him not to show up. HOWEVER, he couldn't even keep straight for 20 games in the AHL! If it's true, he knowingly traveled from the States to Vancouver while COVID+, then was 6 days late to returning to the AHL team after the holidays!

If a team thinks he won't break the rules, I don't know what evidence they have for that. But the potential value for a team with money might be too much to ignore. Like, lets say the Leafs sign him, that organization can 100% eat his contract if it doesn't work out and they can bury his deal in the AHL. If the rumours are true, teams want him. However, I don't know if Kane will get what he wants dollar wise, or if he'll enjoy the restrictions the team might tell him he has to follow for them to give him a shot (maybe a team rep is always with him, maybe he needs to check in constantly)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Apparently he's limited his teams he's interested in to contenders only, so that should help eliminate some of the interested parties.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

So what exactly did Kane do? Fly to Vancouver before his quarantine was up? How was he able to get into the country? Wouldn't he have to of had a negative test before entering Canada? I don't know what the procedure is for border crossing. Then, he didn't report to his AHL team when he was supposed to? Is there anything I am missing?

And we know this is an opportunistic contract termination. This sets a bad precedent if San Jose gets out from under this contract under these circumstances. If there is a settlement, there needs to be a prorated cap hit.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

I know it won't happen. But it would be cool if the league got creative, and this happened:

Buffalo signs Kane to 2m
    Buffalo trades Kane to contender Kane originally wanted to go to for a low pick and 50% retained.

Essentially a team would step in and buy a draft pick very easily.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    So what exactly did Kane do? Fly to Vancouver before his quarantine was up? How was he able to get into the country? Wouldn't he have to of had a negative test before entering Canada? I don't know what the procedure is for border crossing. Then, he didn't report to his AHL team when he was supposed to? Is there anything I am missing?

And we know this is an opportunistic contract termination. This sets a bad precedent if San Jose gets out from under this contract under these circumstances. If there is a settlement, there needs to be a prorated cap hit.
    Pretty much, yes. I dont know how he got in to Canada based on that, but it's not like he's not above lying or forging documents as we well know.

As per the most recent 32 Thoughts podcast, Friedman stated the Sharks voided the deal based on two violations. One was on Dec 21st, he tested positive for Covid while playing in the AHL and he took a flight to Vancouver on the 29th. They are saying he did not have medical clearance or permission to take that flight as he was supposed to be in quarantine. The second violation was he was supposed to return on December 31st and didnt return until January 6th.

Kane is contesting both of these things and that's the basis of his grievance.

The Sharks did have the NHL approval to terminate his contract.

One of the questions that was asked to Friedman was under what basis do the Sharks have to terminate his contract. He said, If you want to google the standard player contract, there's a section 14A which states "Failure, refusal or neglect to render services and/or other material breach of the contract. Failure to conduct yourself on and off the rink according to the highest standards of honesty, morality, fair play, and sportsmanship. And, to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the club...and a material breach while on loan to the American Hockey League." That is apparently what the Sharks are basing the termination on.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Pretty much, yes. I dont know how he got in to Canada based on that, but it's not like he's not above lying or forging documents as we well know.

As per the most recent 32 Thoughts podcast, Friedman stated the Sharks voided the deal based on two violations. One was on Dec 21st, he tested positive for Covid while playing in the AHL and he took a flight to Vancouver on the 29th. They are saying he did not have medical clearance or permission to take that flight as he was supposed to be in quarantine. The second violation was he was supposed to return on December 31st and didnt return until January 6th.

Kane is contesting both of these things and that's the basis of his grievance.

The Sharks did have the NHL approval to terminate his contract.

One of the questions that was asked to Friedman was under what basis do the Sharks have to terminate his contract. He said, If you want to google the standard player contract, there's a section 14A which states "Failure, refusal or neglect to render services and/or other material breach of the contract. Failure to conduct yourself on and off the rink according to the highest standards of honesty, morality, fair play, and sportsmanship. And, to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the club...and a material breach while on loan to the American Hockey League." That is apparently what the Sharks are basing the termination on.
    Pretty vague clause that I'm sure any good lawyer can argue one way or the other. In Kane's case, I'm sure they'll be able to get off the hook fairly easy.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Tinfoil hat, was this the plan that SJ & Kane had in mind when they sent him down to the AHL?

I remember Kane's first press conference after that he said something about, and I'm paraphrasing, 'the team has a very specific plan for me'.

SJ gets out of the contract & Kane gets to be UFA.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Pretty vague clause that I'm sure any good lawyer can argue one way or the other. In Kane's case, I'm sure they'll be able to get off the hook fairly easy.
    Hard to say. I am no legal expert by any means, but I am pretty sure the NHL is loaded with them (including Bettman himself) so you have to feel they have some level of confidence in this. Don't know how this will play out. As I stated earlier in this thread, I expect a settlement of some sort will happen between the two parties and Kane will move on to play somewhere else. At the end of the day, SJ wanted to wash their hands of Evander Kane and they probably feel this is their chance.

As the old saying goes, there's always three sides to every story. One side, the other side, and the truth.

Dobber Sports Titan

The way he travelled might be the reason why he was able to enter.
    If you are a Canadian citizen, and travelled across the border via land or boat, you won't be turned away if you test positive. However you will be fined $5,000/traveler. Canada says "to avoid being fined, wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting Jan 15th, the 11th day) after your positive results."

If you travel across the border via air, you will not be eligible to enter. He likely entered via land/boat into Canada and just accepted the fine

The Great One

Or flew in a private jet. Lots of ways to end run the system as a citizen doing that. Not everyone flies through big airports...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Or flew in a private jet. Lots of ways to end run the system as a citizen doing that. Not everyone flies through big airports...
    If you use "ArriveCAN" (a service of the gov't of Canada) requires you to submit info prior to arrival in Canada. It's a mobile app or like browser accessible. The info you need to submit is:
    - Identification including passport or other travel documents
    - Contact and travel info
    - 14-day travel history
    - Quarantine plan
    - Confirmation of a negative pre-entry test (or positive test taken 14-180 days before travel)
    - Proof of vaccination
    - COVID symptom self assessment

You still need to say you've taken a negative test. You don't have to provide it, but you need to say you've been negative. So in Kane's case, he would still have done something "illegal" if he flew private. But it's not like it's hard to lie in that system. I'm also not a private jet user lol. So the info might be out-of-date since things go out-of-date by the day right now.

The Great One

Yeah totally on the honor system with info and easy to lie. And no one checks as there are so many airports to fly into with zero govt presence.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch