Thread: Rays Might Play Some Home Games in Montreal

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Rays Might Play Some Home Games in Montreal

This has been talked about for awhile but the attached story is the most concrete plan to date that would see the Rays play some home games outside of Tampa

“There, [Auld]outlined the Rays’ vision to soon move half of their home games to Montreal, a foreign city located 1,500 miles away. He doesn’t think the team can survive solely in the Tampa Bay area much longer.

“We’ve concluded that it’s next to impossible that full-season baseball can succeed in Tampa Bay today,” Auld [Team President] said. ”
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/tampa-b...al-11633668244

This will be great for fans but I'm sure the players will not be thrilled with this idea.

EDIT: This is a poor title, can a mod change to something less definitive.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Rays to Play Some Home Games in Montreal

As a Montrealer, I love the idea of being able to take my kids to the ballpark. I want to share that experience I had when I was young.

That being said, I'm simply not sure I buy all of this yet. There's a big municipal election coming in 30 days, here. The incumbent mayor Valerie Plante has been stern in her desire for baseball to be back but not at the expense of taxpayers while her opponent Denis Coderre (who was mayor before Plante) is a huge baseball fan and is willing to spend a lot to get the Expos, or any baseball, back in Montreal. That might play a role in how this story evolves.

But the biggest part still comes from TB and the MLB as to if they'll actually consider this a viable option.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Rays to Play Some Home Games in Montreal

Ya I can't imagine players are going to like this.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Rays Might Play Some Home Games in Montreal

I have 2 thoughts on this:
    - TBR had 27,000 fans at their 1st playoff game. No capacity restrictions. That's less than what Toronto had vs the Orioles with capacity restrictions. They can't sustain this type of fan interaction. However, fans mean nothing for MLB team's worth. It's TV Contracts. So there's this "they have no fans" angle, but it doesn't matter to the league.

- TBR home stadium sucks. But so does MTL's. I won't take this seriously until MTL gives a suitable stadium for a baseball team to play in.

The Rays are worth a lot ($1.055BILLION), and their operating income was -$23mill, ya that's a loss, but that's 3rd best in the league this yr. The Rays are worth more than all but 5 NHL teams. Until I see real moves by MTL, I don't think there's any motivation for the Owners to move the team. They win games, keep costs low, get to the playoffs, get big TV contract bonuses. They don't care that their stadium sucks or that fans don't go watch.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll