Thread: Keeper League Draft 1st pick

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Keeper League Draft 1st pick

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice concerning the upcoming draft in a keeper league (12 GMs / 9 keepers / points only / 12F / 6D / 2G / 2IR / 4Bench).
    My roster: (F) Hintz, Bennett, Strome, Vrana, Miller, Svechnikov, (D) Nurse, Werenski, (G) Campbell, Kahkonen (just promoted from farm team for being over 25 - thus why I have 10 players instead of 9)

You can imagine that the who's who are already taken: 71 F / 28 D / 20 G are already off the table - once again this is more than 9 keepers * 12 GMs (108) because some rookies off of farm teams were promoted to full roster either because over 25 or more than 150 games. So here's what's left:

Andre Burakovsky Jonathan Marchessault Joe Pavelski Kasperi Kapanen
    Jakub Voracek Carter Verhaeghe Dylan Larkin Timo Meier
    Oliver Bjorkstrand Mike Hoffman Brock Nelson Viktor Arvidsson
    Evander Kane Jared McCann Zach Hyman Josh Bailey
    Travis Konecny Tomas Hertl Anthony Duclair Alex Killorn
    Bryan Rust William Karlsson Jeff Petry Tom Wilson
    Sam Reinhart T.J. Oshie Anthony Beauvillier Victor Olofsson
    Claude Giroux Clayton Keller Connor Brown Drake Batherson
    Vincent Trocheck Phil Kessel James van Riemsdyk Ondrej Palat
    Tyler Toffoli Jack Roslovic Andrew Mangiapane Alex Iafallo
    Tomas Tatar Tyler Bertuzzi Alexander Radulov Anders Lee
    Pavel Buchnevich Brayden Schenn Kailer Yamamoto Cam Atkinson
    Bo Horvat Jakob Chychrun Pavel Zacha Jordan Eberle

Out of the 3 positions, defensmen are the position that GMs are missing the most (55% G / 42% F / 33% D - Roster filled). My picks are 1st 20th 25th 44th in the fist 4 rounds. I was wondering if it would be a mistake to take Jakob Chychrun as the first pick overall? He seems to be the highest ADP on most sites I've looked, but the roster Arizona is putting on the ice for 2021-2022 as me worried he won't perform to the projected 55+ pt season. Should I play it safe with a Rust / Burakovski / Reinhart instead?

1st post here - thank you all for the advice in advance!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Keeper League Draft 1st pick

Eww! There's not a lot to choose from, eh?
    I actually think Chychrun would be a fine pick at 1st overall, if you want a d-man. I always have a soft spot for 50-point(ish) defencemen.
    If you wanted to opt for a forward, I would consider Giroux, Reinhart or even Bjorkstrand.

For what it's worth, maybe it's time to start packaging some of the 2 tier players on your roster for a real stud or two.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh...and welcome to the forums!
    Best of luck!
    8-Team Points-Only Keeper League
    Roster of 25 Players
    No positional requirements for Forwards
    Farm System of 3 Players

Fwds - Rantanen, Kaprizov, Pettersson, J. Hughes, Ovechkin, Malkin, A. Svechnikov, Forsberg, Reinhart, Keller, Gaudreau, Hagel, Eklund

Def - Q. Hughes, Josi, Theodore, Morrissey, Dunn, Letang, Burns, Matheson, York, Thrun

Goalies - Shesterkin, Jarry

Farm - Benson, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Man I think with absence of Weber, Petry now gets a full season running PP1. He keeps getting better with age. He's probably going to start declining in 2 years but even in a points only league i wouldn't count him out for 55-60 points this year. I think Yamamoto has a big year but i wouldn't take him 1st he should be around for a few rounds. Really points wise all these players figure in the 55-60 mark with the exception of most of the D-men. I bet McCann surprises. I mean for me It's Petry as all these forwards figure to be in the same point range. My thoughts.
    For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    Man I think with absence of Weber, Petry now gets a full season running PP1. He keeps getting better with age. He's probably going to start declining in 2 years but even in a points only league i wouldn't count him out for 55-60 points this year. I think Yamamoto has a big year but i wouldn't take him 1st he should be around for a few rounds. Really points wise all these players figure in the 55-60 mark with the exception of most of the D-men. I bet McCann surprises. I mean for me It's Petry as all these forwards figure to be in the same point range. My thoughts.
    I was also looking at Petry. I might also take him at 1st overall.
    8-Team Points-Only Keeper League
    Roster of 25 Players
    No positional requirements for Forwards
    Farm System of 3 Players

Fwds - Rantanen, Kaprizov, Pettersson, J. Hughes, Ovechkin, Malkin, A. Svechnikov, Forsberg, Reinhart, Keller, Gaudreau, Hagel, Eklund

Def - Q. Hughes, Josi, Theodore, Morrissey, Dunn, Letang, Burns, Matheson, York, Thrun

Goalies - Shesterkin, Jarry

Farm - Benson, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Star

In points only, I'd go Chychrun but Petry is a good choice.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Yeah Petry will be the guy in MTL on PP1 and no one there to challenge him for those minutes either. Chychrun has Gostisbehere that could challenge him a bit (or maybe ARI plays with 2D on PP1?) and the fact they'll have a terrible season... but if he develops well i could have him as a long term keeper.

As far as the weakness of my roster goes, I just joined this group and bought in for the team with the worst roster, a slow and steady rise to the top is coming for me I hope!

Thank you for the advice all !

Dobber Sports All-Star

Petry/Chychrun on D or Reinhart/Bjorkstrand up front.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Giant

Give me Giroux here. I’d treat him as a 1-year guy since I don’t feel anyone available is that much better than your current 9 so I’d go with the guy with the highest upside this year.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ace

Reinhart for me. He's been improving at buffalo and now gets top line / top pp min with barkov all year? yes please!
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA: