Thread: Who to target? Markstrom or ... [REP[

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Who to target? Markstrom or ... [REP[

Evansville Icemen team in the sig

Upcoming FA Agent draft and I'm thinking about taking Markstrom with me first pick (6 OA) if he falls to me.

I've already got Hellebucyk & Shesterkin, but I figure grabbing Markstrom will really lock in my goalies for the season and maximize my potential starts.

I feel like my skaters are strong enough that I can miss out on a skater in the first round and grab a goalie, then focus on Dmen or BPA has the draft progresses.

Thoughts? Will rep when possible.

Thanks!

List of FA players here: https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...ayers;reload=1
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Who to target? Markstrom or ... [REP[

Is this a cap league?

I'd be tempted to take Sorokin and turn him into an asset greater than Markstrom. Or Darnell Nurse or Chychrun. Markstrom isn't thrilling to me as an option. IF Maximizing starts is a big concern, then I understand the desire to get a heavier start goalie, and Sorokin's probable 40 starts give or take won't match Markstrom's. But thinking strictly for keeper asset value, I'd think Sorokin or Nurse would outweigh Markstrom.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Is this a cap league?

I'd be tempted to take Sorokin and turn him into an asset greater than Markstrom. Or Darnell Nurse or Chychrun. Markstrom isn't thrilling to me as an option. IF Maximizing starts is a big concern, then I understand the desire to get a heavier start goalie, and Sorokin's probable 40 starts give or take won't match Markstrom's. But thinking strictly for keeper asset value, I'd think Sorokin or Nurse would outweigh Markstrom.
    Non-cap league.

Looking to win-now, so not really concerned about grabbing a potential keeper.
    Had thought about grabbing Varly and then Sorokin right off the bat also, but I prefer to run 3 goalies all season then use 1 or 2 rosters spots to either stream back-up starts or pickup players for that weeks matchup.

To add to my original post, my thinking is by adding Markstrom I'm getting a lot of starts and also solid goal tending that will compliment Hellebuyck & Shesterkin.
    Nothing worse than having your studs put up great games just to be pulled down by the 3rd wheel.

Nurse is definitely interesting, along with Schenn.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm also concerned that Markstrom might not be your best option. Here's what Doyle wrote today in Capped: Buy and Sell

"His first year in Calgary started really well with a save percentage of .925. He ended the year with a respectable .913 over his final thirteen games. It was the 18 games in the middle that were dreadful, with an .882 save percentage. The Flames also lost their best defenceman and captain, Mark Giordano and added two depth pieces in Erik Gudbransson and Nikita Zadorov. You'll forgive me for sitting in the camp that believes Calgary's defence is not as good as it was last year. At 31, I have really mixed feelings that he will perform at a high level consistently moving forward.

Perhaps it is a year to early to ditch Markstrom, sometimes it can be better to get out a little too early than too late. There are better value goalies out there that will give you similar or better stats for a lower cost, Freddy Andersen, being a prime example."

I dunno, there's some merit to that opinion I think. The question I have is, with the guys you have in net who will both play a lot of hockey, do you need a big time work horse as a 3rd or would 40 starts suffice?

My other concern is that while your skaters are strong, they are all forwards, no defence. With the goaltending you already have, I'd be inclined to go after a D in the first round and there are no shortage of very nice options there. I'd then target a goalie in the 2nd round and there should still be very solid options available, hell, if guys in your pool are reading the above and agree with that view, Markstrom could still be there.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    I'm also concerned that Markstrom might not be your best option. Here's what Doyle wrote today in Capped: Buy and Sell

"His first year in Calgary started really well with a save percentage of .925. He ended the year with a respectable .913 over his final thirteen games. It was the 18 games in the middle that were dreadful, with an .882 save percentage. The Flames also lost their best defenceman and captain, Mark Giordano and added two depth pieces in Erik Gudbransson and Nikita Zadorov. You'll forgive me for sitting in the camp that believes Calgary's defence is not as good as it was last year. At 31, I have really mixed feelings that he will perform at a high level consistently moving forward.

Perhaps it is a year to early to ditch Markstrom, sometimes it can be better to get out a little too early than too late. There are better value goalies out there that will give you similar or better stats for a lower cost, Freddy Andersen, being a prime example."

I dunno, there's some merit to that opinion I think. The question I have is, with the guys you have in net who will both play a lot of hockey, do you need a big time work horse as a 3rd or would 40 starts suffice?

My other concern is that while your skaters are strong, they are all forwards, no defence. With the goaltending you already have, I'd be inclined to go after a D in the first round and there are no shortage of very nice options there. I'd then target a goalie in the 2nd round and there should still be very solid options available, hell, if guys in your pool are reading the above and agree with that view, Markstrom could still be there.
    Great points, thanks!
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Pro

I like your idea and think those are 3 really solid options. He's in a weak division this year, and the team will be playing defensively.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel