Thread: Trading down advice

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Trading down advice

Normally I’m interested in trading up and not down, but I’m wondering if it makes sense for me to trade down this year - looking at the pool of free agents, and opportunity to get slightly better depth?

League 1 in sig. here’s what I have for higher round picks right now:
    - 1st round (6th)
    - 1st round (8th)
    - 3rd round (38th)
    - 4th round (59th)

One of the GMs/potential trade partner has four 2nd round picks (17th, 22nd, 27th, 28th).

I was thinking about a trade of my 8th overall pick in exchange for 17th and ideally 22nd (but perhaps 27th or 28th if he doesn’t want to give up 22)

Here’s some projections on the roughly top 30 free agents (not including prospects/recent 2021 draft class) based on our scoring categories:

1. Petry
    2. Weegar
    3. E. Kane
    4. Marchessault
    5. Bennett
    6. R. Strome
    7. Seguin
    8. Girard
    9. Rust
    10. Tofolli
    11. Ekholm
    12. Perron
    13. Pulock
    14. Verhaeghe
    15. Garland
    16. Buchnevich
    17. Couturier
    18. Reinhart
    19. Lee
    20. Hronek
    21. Grzelyck
    22. Toews
    23. Anderson
    24. Vrana
    25. Hertl
    26. Hoffman
    27. Hyman
    28. Karlsson
    29. Ellis
    30. Benn

I’m targeting a dman with my first pick at 6. Then I’d back 9 spots in the draft, but get an extra 2nd rounder out of it. Thoughts?
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, Coyle, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Daccord

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Trading down advice

I wouldn't be trading those top picks looking at who is available... You only need to fill one more forward starting position and 2 more at D. Give me the best possible pick to fill at least two of those spots and then the best D available at 38th pick. I personally wouldn't risk missing out on top available players just to build depth in a keep 8 start 6, 4, 1.

I'm guessing someone is going to draft a top prospect/draft class in the top 10 in hopes of improving there keepers, which could put you in position to get some good players with 6th and 8th. You have a good team and if you get two more great players, I'd suspect your starting lineup will give you a great chance to win.

Anyways, that's my two cents, I'm keeping the picks.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks I appreciate your comments! Yeah I’m in win-now mode and am hoping some of the new class gets drafted early so I can focus on established players this year.

The reason I was thinking of doing the move is to add a little to that ready-now depth, as it doesn’t seem like there’s a massive drop off in quality from the top 10 to top 25ish. I agree it would be safer to just keep both 1st round picks and not risk it

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't know if I'd be targeting a dman with that 1st pick. The options further down (other than Petry) look just as good. I think you would be fine making that move, getting the best forward at 6 (Forwards get more points for goals?) and then grabbing two solid d options from amongst the remaining options. I just don't see a big enough difference in quality from the top to the bottom of that list in regards to the defensemen available.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson