Thread: Holtz vs Newhook - Salary cap league

Dobber Sports Genius

Exclamation Holtz vs Newhook - Salary cap league

Cheers all,

Prepping my salary cap keeper list (keep 11 - not for signature). 24 man league.

I drafted Holtz last year at RW and sat on him all season.

I grabbed Newhook off waivers in the spring. He's at C.

My last keeper spot ultimately comes down to these two. Any thoughts on these two players and who ultimately should get the last spot. My C keepers at the moment are McDavid, Zegras and Kopitar. My RW keeper is Stone.

I think Holtz goes up and down this year between AHL and the bigs. Newhook is there to stay. I came in 2nd place last year and would like to remain competitive. C would ultimately be easier to draft vs wingers in this league.

I'm leaning towards keeping Holtz and seeing how he fairs in the league. I like NJ's direction and youth a lot.

Rep where I can,

COD
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

The Great One

Default Re: Holtz vs Newhook - Salary cap league

Tough choice here.

Short-term, I like Newhook because he will get an opportunity sooner. That said, his "opportunity" is limited to second line and second PP unit, so the production won't be great. Maybe 40 pts for a few years.

Long-term, I like Holtz. I see him eventually getting top line deployment alongside Hughes, and top power play time. However, I don't think that happens for a couple of years as he is likely in the AHL next year.

I'd probably take Holtz, given Newhook won't make or break your upcoming season and long-term Holtz offers more value, imo. Also, as you mention, center is a bit easier to draft in your league and you are a bit deeper at center as well.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ace

Even though I agree with the above that Newhook has better short term value I really don't see that value amounting to much this year. At worst your losing 1 year of modest production if you go with Newhook over Holtz whereas long term you're probably losing significantly more value. NJ is trending quickly in the right direction and their talent level at RW is relatively easy to surpass. Unless Holtz underperforms by a significant amount I can't see a reason why he wouldn't be the clear choice. I just don't see Newhook's value this year or next being irreplaceable to the point that you wouldn't take the higher upside due to the more secure opportunity.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports All-Star

When Holtz is ready to go I think he creates a bigger impact in fantasy than Newhook. I like Newhook but think that Holtz will be a more dynamic player and also be playing possibly on the top line. No guarantees but I like Holtz. Good luck
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Positional scarcity, opportunity, and your roster situation all point towards Holtz, and that's how I'd lean.

I'm no prospect expert, but these guys are similar enough upside guys, that it should come down to fit on your roster and the NHL roster.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I agree and like your strategy. As much as I like Newhook, who is here an now, I think the numbers he puts up will likely be draftable with another C. It's a bit of a gamble, but I like the idea of sitting on Holtz, you may have to wait, but there's a good chance he will be more fantasy relevant than Newhook. Good Luck.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf