Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal drafts Logan Mailloux in 1st round

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Montreal drafts Logan Mailloux

Quote Originally Posted by CAN-AM Commish View Post
    What sh**bag move by this organization. Zero respect for that sh*t.
    Absolute disgrace.
    Why though? Show me an instance in life where 2nd chances aren't afforded. Don't get me wrong.... What the guy did was a jerk move. Mega immature. Mega stupid. I think that anyone with a shred of self dignity would agree with that.

If the guy was requesting to be removed from the draft, does that show remorse? Does that show contrition? Is that enough for Bergevin? I don't pretend how that conversation went between him and the HAbs.

We can;t excuse what he did. Total fail. Also, total fail on the kids who looked at this with approval and gave him a pat on the back.

Maybe he's mega remorseful? I don't know. In fact, none of us do. But, what we do know is that this world is full of second chances. Third chances. Fourth chances, and so on. We've all made unbelievably stupid poor character choices when we were that age. I'm no exception to the rule. Should his epic fail be a reason to disqualify him from doing his dream?

Should your poor choices when you were that age disqualify you from working your current job?

The world of pro sports is littered with athletes who have picked players who were immature and made dumb choices. Why is this instance different? We live in a world of grace. Again though, never what he did is right.

If you were in that position, and you made that choice, how would you handle it? Would you die on your sword, and give up your dreams of playing Hockey and relegate yourself to working at your local Variety Store forever?
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Montreal drafts Logan Mailloux in 1st round

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    As a Habs fan, I'm very disappointed. There was absolutely no need for this pick, at that time or at all really. I understand the kid may be talented and that there is value to pick him there strictly in a hockey sense. But for a GM that always seems to prioritize character, this was a dumb move. Not only you pick a kid that had no business being picked right now but you also rob him of the chance to write his own story back.

Terrible, terrible pick and it makes me wonder even more if Bergevin has already decided to move on from the Habs after his contract expires at the end of the year. Maybe all these moves that were regarded as bold for the expansion draft were more likely due to a GM who wasn't looking to extend his contract and save his job.

Anyway, nothing redeemable about this pick.
    Why is Hockey going to be different?

There is an endless stream of draft pick examples where Management picked players who have made really poor character choices. I don't agree with what he did, though - but I as a fellow Habs fan, know that our team isn't sanctimonious. Pro sports is littered with examples of inspite of poor choices, people are given a chance.

Dobber Sports Sage

For me:
    1st mistake - you get another chance
    2nd mistake - meh maybe another chance
    3rd mistake - You've struck out. Your on your own. Peace.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    He was punished what was set forth by law. So yes paid the price. Was it enough? I'd say no, but that's only on the fault of law makers. He's also just a minor. He public acknowledge his wrong doing and is also shamed in the public eye. By being drafted here he was also robbed of the opportunity to fully enjoy being selected. Good. No one is brushing this away.

I firmly believe one mistake doesn't make a person, and rehabilitation more important than punishment.
    Agreed. Taking the self righteous approach on this (ala Craig Button) is the low hanging fruit.

I'll never excuse his actions... Little jerk move. Very immature. But I also know that I for one, if I was to be forever screwed by my poor choices in life, I would have been either killed, or in the joint long ago.

Dobber Sports Titan

Second chances are earned through regret and having learned something from your mistakes.

Removing himself from the draft was just damage control. He hasn't properly even apologized to the victim let alone made any actions to show that he has learned, grown, or understands that what he did was wrong and why.

Until he does that then he hasn't earned the second chance, and Montreal giving it to him before that reflects poorly on everyone involved.

I feel so bad for the victim here.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Blues_fan1000 View Post
    Isn’t he facing criminal charges too?
    No. The legal fallout has been dealt with in Sweden and his fine paid.

I’ll sum this up by saying this: I’ve been a life long Habs fan and this is enough to quite possibly end that. The level of disgusting and stupid that this rises to is too much.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    He hasn't properly even apologized to the victim let alone made any actions to show that he has learned, grown, or understands that what he did was wrong and why.
    That's not entirely true...

"I don’t feel I have demonstrated strong enough maturity or character to earn that privilege in the 2021 Draft,” does show he understands.

Also he did apologize; However, it was only a 3 sentence text. She did not want to meet him in person. She hasn’t forgiven Mailloux because she doesn’t believe he has shown remorse for what he did. This was before his denouncement statement I believe (not sure).

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/Sid_Seixeiro/sta...494215683?s=19

I’m shocked people are shocked the Montreal Canadiens pulled a greasy move at the draft last night. Professional sports teams care about winning. That’s about it. They should care about more when making decisions. But they don’t.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    https://twitter.com/Sid_Seixeiro/sta...494215683?s=19

I’m shocked people are shocked the Montreal Canadiens pulled a greasy move at the draft last night. Professional sports teams care about winning. That’s about it. They should care about more when making decisions. But they don’t.
    Not sure what team you could even cheer for.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Not sure what team you could even cheer for.
    Not my words, but I agree with them. As far as this situation goes, it's hard to cheer for anyone, you're right. I'm just glad its not my team who did this because it would seriously make me reconsider cheering for them.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Not my words, but I agree with them.

I was preparing myself to try and rebuttal a Seattle Kraken answer so I prefer this

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
    Why is Hockey going to be different?

There is an endless stream of draft pick examples where Management picked players who have made really poor character choices. I don't agree with what he did, though - but I as a fellow Habs fan, know that our team isn't sanctimonious. Pro sports is littered with examples of inspite of poor choices, people are given a chance.
    I'm sorry but "Well, it's been done before in plenty other sports and cases so why is it wrong now?" is not a sufficient answer for me. What you've said is all true, I can't deny that but that, in no way, makes it right.

Again, I'm not saying what Mailloux did is unredeemable now, not at all. But there was a right way to do things and a wrong way to do them, at least in my mind (and apparently many others). The Habs chose the wrong one. I still hope for the best for all parties involved, but things should've been handled in a much different way.

Dobber Sports Ace

i'm an habs fan i can live with the pick for hockey purpose ... want to know if i'm happy with the pick this morning not realy... the guy already have apology and release a statement on the incident ... mailloux can have a 2nd chance for my case and yes i have 2 daughter... an error can be repair not sure racism can be repair (aka deangelo case)
    Member of Comish Dynasty 24 team (since the beginning) (Nordique)
    Member of King Of Hockey League (Columbus)
    Member of Great Dynasty (Colorado)
    Member of United Hockey League (Los Angeles)
    Member of Global Hockey league (since the beginning) (Washington)
    Member of Vnhl (Quebec)

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm just glad its not my team who did this because it would seriously make me reconsider cheering for them.
    You do you. Personally I'm okay with this for now (except that 1st round was too early)...

Of all the draft picks Logan is the one that needs education/support the most. He's already down, better to work on standing him back up then keep kicking. The Habs need to follow up (this is the key here) with their statement of providing him the tools to grow, and also commitment to raising awareness. Can't just sweep it under the rug, so time will tell how this evolves and how I will actually feel.
    EDIT: More importantly Logan also has to learn/grow from this and actively work to 'redeem himself'.

Dobber Sports Stud

Second chances are earned through time, action and insightful journeys. A quick statement written by a PR firm doesn't cut it in my opinion, let alone 3 days between his statement and the draft.

I mean, yes players and all of us have done stupid things. Of course. But as a professional hockey club and as an institution in Québec, the Habs had a choice: either to normalize and quickly excuse Mailloux' actions by drafting him, or let him bear the consequences of what he did. They failed the test.

I can't even imagine the victim's feelings this morning. All the talk is about the player and how he will be able to navigate his future career.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.