Thread: Pastrnak or Makar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Pastrnak or Makar

I am in a keeper league and I want to ask you who would you choose between David Pastrnak and Cale Makar?

This is an only points pool. 1 goal or 1 assist gives 1 point for forwards and defensemen.

We have 6 forwards, 3 defensemen and 2 goalies. 3 backups players. No salary cap.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Pastrnak or Makar

Well - generally this requires a LOT more information.

In a goal/shot heavy league with a 9F/4D setting... I like Pastrnak. Big offense is key to building a good team.
    In a points heavy league with maybe 6F/4D... I like Makar. D-value would be higher and Makar's point-output relative to waiver wire D would be incredible.

Welcome to the forums!

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree with my old buddy Pengwin7 when he says we need more information and welcome to the forums. I like to copy and paste this for newer members who are asking for advice. I know it may seem like a lot of information but there's a lot of well informed fantasy hockey guys here who want to help but in order to give the best, more accurate advice to your question, these are the types of things needed to know to give this:

Well the first thing and probably the most important thing is to always list out all details when asking for advice

1. League type (Dynasty vs. Limited Keeper vs. One -year, Roto vs. H2H vs. Points only) Note: A points league that gives point values to categories does not equal points only.
    2. Salary or non-salary (also follow NHL salary cap hit or another type of salary setting)
    3. Scoring categories
    4. Full team Roster - Gives perspective when discussing trades
    5. Forward position differentiation (i.e. C/LW/RW, or simply F) - Important when discussing trades.
    6. Daily starts vs. Weekly starts
    7. How many players at each position iced per night. (i.e. 2G - That is a big one that makes a huge difference when discussing advice). Minimum goalie starts (i.e. 1 per week, 2 per week)
    8. Number of teams in the league - Important when talking goalies. There are 30 teams in the NHL meaning 30 starters in the NHL. If you're in a league with 16 teams that ices 2G per night..etc.
    9. League Provider -Don't assume that everybody uses the same league provider as you as some providers have different position eligibility among other things.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sorry I edited my post with the missing informations.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Points-only pools are nice & straight-forward for making F vs. D decisions.
    Here's what you do:

1. Count up the total number of "counting" skaters. Say you have 10teams, that's 60F,30D in play.
    2. Go to a nice past FULL season of NHL stats, so you'd have to go back to 2018-19. Find out what the 60th forward scored, what did the 30th defense score.
    3. Put a full season number on Pastrnak and Makar. I'll say 90pts Pastrank, 70pts Makar.
    4. Then you check the relative difference. If Pastrnak is a 90pt guy and #60F is 65pts... that's a +25 for Pastrnak. If Makar is a 70pt guy and the #30D is 40pts... that's a +30 for Makar.

Try that out, and put your own forecast numbers on Pastrnak and Makar.
    I bet it's going to be close... so it may also depend on whether you need a F vs. D for your team direction.

Dobber Sports Pro

Wow, that's a tough one! I'm in a similar league, and I own Pasta. It's close enough that I think I'd decide based on my other keepers. How many keepers do you get each year? If almost all your keepers are F, I'd go for Makar. If you have another one or two D keepers already, I'd go Pasta.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports All-Star

Tough one but I’d go with Makar by a nose.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I lean Makar. Elite offensive D are harder to come by.
    2023 Champ
    11 Teams - 24 player rosters - 12 Keepers (max 2 goalies)
    Yahoo rotisserie - 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN ,2IR
    G, A, PPP, SHP, HITS, +-, PIM, BK, GS, W,GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Lindholm, Stephenson, Norris
    LW: Robertson,
    Fiala, Bertuzzi, Boldy,
    RW: Miller, Tarasenko, Seguin, Ehlers
    D: Hamilton, Karlsson,
    Bouchard, Nurse, Dobson, Larsson
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin
    B: Husso, Tippett, McCabe, TT.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i own the both..no way i move pasta for makar in any format....
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I would take Makar. It's close, but not that close. Makar is younger with a younger more talented group around him. I see Makar as a perennial Norris winner/candidate with near PPG production every year. Pasta is great but so is pizza.
    12 team pts league. G(1pt), A(1pt), PPP(1pt), SHP(1pt), GWG(1pt), W(3pts), SO(2pts)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4F, 4D, 2G, 4Bench, 2IR
    Keep any 5 max 3 years

C - McDavid, Backstrom, Tavares, Couturier, Trochek
    RW - Pavelski, Fiala, E. Lindholm
    LW - Landeskog, Palat, E. Kane, Robertson
    D - Hedman, Yandle, Fox, Provorov
    G - Lehner, Rask, MAF, Talbot

Dobber Sports Star

Based on the information given, Makar.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
    I would take Makar. It's close, but not that close. Makar is younger with a younger more talented group around him. I see Makar as a perennial Norris winner/candidate with near PPG production every year. Pasta is great but so is pizza.
    Cale Makar is younger? That's a funny starting point. While technically this is true, that's a bit of a reach. We're talking 2 years. Just because a guy is 2 years younger doesn't mean he plays 2 more years than the other guy. Age is a non factor when we're talking 2 years. Especially at this stage into their careers. The argument of his team being older I can buy into, because it's true and when it comes to the big stars of the team, the Aves top guns on average are quite younger, because we're now talking several. So I am with you there.

If David Pastrnak plays like he did in 19/20 it isn't close. This season it is only because a defenseman netting similar points-per-game as the forward mentioned makes him more desirable. But if Pastrnak can get back to 19/20 form than it favours Pasta. Question being, is he the 105.5 player (101 and 111 respectively) he was prorated over 82 games during the 18/19 and 19/20 seasons or is he an 82 point player? If he's the 105.5 guy, I take his potential 50 goals and 100 points over Makar and his near point-per-game production, which won't keep. That being said, he does play with a young group of guys.. once Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand hit that downward trend, it can hurt Dave's production. A player is only as good as his environment, so maybe Captain Canuck is onto something here. After all, he is Captain Canuck! So it's a lot closer. Short term, it's Pastrnak and long term wise it's probably Makar.

Also, if Pasta rebounds and gets 50 goals and 100 points, he's a cap darling at $6,666,667 per for the next two years.

Also it comes down to team need, how deep your forward crop is and how much forwards you can play to defensemen. If you're shallow on D, I may try and get something with Makar to get Pastrnak. 5 years from now it could be much different.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.