Thread: Logjam in Defence...

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Logjam in Defence...

Just curious on how others feel about acquiring prospect a defenceman for a team that already has a stud QBing the 1st PP.
    For example, how do you rationalize acquiring Byram when you know that Makar has the 1st PP locked down for the foreseeable future?
    I'm interested in players like Harley and Lundkvist, but I'm having a hard time seeing the payout with Heiskanen, Klingberg and Fox already owning that ice time with their respective teams.

I guess I'm having trouble understanding if prospects like this are even worth owning in a points-only full keeper. Even if could stash them on a farm team, it might be a long time before they get the opportunity for 1st PP minutes.

I'm sure others have more insight than I do on the subject.
    I'd love to hear what you think.

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Logjam in Defence...

While Byram, Lundvist, and Harley are all very good prospects, I would not want to pay top prospect price due to how long it will take for them to get their shot at top deployment. Even worse is that the guys ahead of the three you mentioned are all young studs themselves. (Klingberg is a little older, but there’s still Heiskenen). I’d try talking to the owner of Jake Bean. With Hamilton a free agent, I’d be interested in grabbing Bean.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket 10 View Post
    Just curious on how others feel about acquiring prospect a defenceman for a team that already has a stud QBing the 1st PP.
    For example, how do you rationalize acquiring Byram when you know that Makar has the 1st PP locked down for the foreseeable future?
    I'm interested in players like Harley and Lundkvist, but I'm having a hard time seeing the payout with Heiskanen, Klingberg and Fox already owning that ice time with their respective teams.

I guess I'm having trouble understanding if prospects like this are even worth owning in a points-only full keeper. Even if could stash them on a farm team, it might be a long time before they get the opportunity for 1st PP minutes.

I'm sure others have more insight than I do on the subject.
    I'd love to hear what you think.

Cheers!
    I will be in the minority saying this... Nay, I'll go as far as to venture population of 1, but I actually like Thomas Harley more than Bowen Byram. Both the player and situation. Kid looked unreal being paired with Miro Heiskanen in preseason action last year, and had it not been for conservative GM Jim Nill, would have gotten that 9 game NHL look, and perhaps even had that extended. Probably was for the best. It's never a bad thing to allow a prospect to marinate in a developmental league first.

Anyway, where were we? Oh yes, the way he gets the puck up the ice down the middle to the forwards.... execution of plays, not having to force the puck along the walls and dump... but always skating it up into what is heavier lanes, the least safer route, shows just how confident he was in his game early in as one of the youngest Draft +1 players in the Fall of 2019. His transitions, the way he skates, and sees the game are ahead of his age group. Then HC Jim Montgomery had him play 5 of the last 7 minutes of that 5th and final preseason game with Heiskanen, being used in all situations. He didn't look lost or panic. So damn confident on both sides of the puck.

Perhaps I am being over zealous here, but I think he's going to be a 50-60 point dman. I feel very confident he hits those numbers in the NHL. Over a season... dur. :P
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think Lundkvist has the tools to do what Fox did. Fox got a ton of assists so can’t he do that if given the time? Everyone is going gaga over somebody like Fox but he’s the guy getting all the PP1 time with that deadly line up. Give Lundy some of that and see what happens. Not discounting what Fox can do but he’s a slump or an injury away from us possibly seeing another good young dman. They have a few.

Another guy to look at is Sandin. He’s going to be the guy soon in Toronto. He will play a ton next season and should gain the time and confidence to do well in a market that is truly missing a good puck mover and PP QB. If you can pry him off a GM then that’s a good investment. But they are young, they just need a chance.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Superstar

The answer, or insight you are looking for I believe, is absolutely related to what your league format looks like and you haven't provided that information other than it appears to be a pts only full keeper. Do you have a farm system, if so how does it work. Is this a salary cap league? I don't think your asking folks to predict how long it will be before the guys you have listed will become fantasy relevant, which seems to be how folks are responding to this post? You say "I guess I'm having trouble understanding if prospects like this are even worth owning in a points-only full keeper. Even if could stash them on a farm team, it might be a long time before they get the opportunity for 1st PP minutes". This one really has me confused? I thought that was what a farm system was for? Maybe I'm missing something here (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    The answer, or insight you are looking for I believe, is absolutely related to what your league format looks like and you haven't provided that information other than it appears to be a pts only full keeper. Do you have a farm system, if so how does it work. Is this a salary cap league? I don't think your asking folks to predict how long it will be before the guys you have listed will become fantasy relevant, which seems to be how folks are responding to this post? You say "I guess I'm having trouble understanding if prospects like this are even worth owning in a points-only full keeper. Even if could stash them on a farm team, it might be a long time before they get the opportunity for 1st PP minutes". This one really has me confused? I thought that was what a farm system was for? Maybe I'm missing something here (:
    It's a 10-team points-only keeper...no salary cap.
    Farm system can consist of up to 3 players under 24 years old and under 82 GP.

While my league is fairly shallow, I'm not sure what the point is in drafting a player like Byram.
    Unless Makar suffers frequent injuries or gets traded, how long will it be before Byram sees any minutes.
    In this scenario it seems like Girard would eat up those minutes before Byram at this point.
    I understand the value in deeper leagues, so I guess my question does pertain more to my league.

What chance does Harley have at usurping Klingberg AND Heiskanen at this point??
    I guess I'm struggling with talent vs. opportunity.

Dobber Sports Superstar

OK. In a league set up like this there is little value in acquiring prospects that will not contribute to your team pretty much immediately. Still, you have 3 spots that you want to fill with the best prospects that you can. There are two ways to go here, you go after guys that are ready to become fantasy relevant or you simply take the best talent available and hope for the best. Perhaps a blend is the way to go. Someone mentioned Jake Bean and that's the kind of ready for the big time prospect you could target. On the other side, a guy like Lunqvist who has yet to play an NHL game remains a very intriguing prospect whose talent may necessarily imply he is going to be fantasy relevant sooner rather than later. Hope this helps.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Pro

With only 3 prospect slots, there's no way it's worth paying much for the guys you mentioned. Draft some top flight forward prospects, or some guys really close to making the show in a good position.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel