Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Scheifele to be suspended?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Scheifele to be suspended?

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC 11h

`From rule 42.1: "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A charge may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice." Gives DoPS wide latitude.
    This hit is the literal definition of charging.

"Every hit has violence in it." - Yes and we have a rule book, and when the independent arbiters of the rules (the referees) determine that the level of violence of a hit, reaches the level of charging the call a penalty. On this hit, the referees, who notoriously do not call penalties, felt that this charge rose to the degree of 5 minutes and a game misconduct.

"This wouldn't even be a penalty if there wasn't an injury." - Right, because the degree of violence of the hit is what caused the injury, and if it was less violent then there wouldn't have been an injury and then it wouldn't have rose to the level of charging that it is.

"What should he do give up on the play?" - No, if he was actually trying to stop a goal he could have played the puck with his stick and actually stopped the goal, that wasn't what he was trying to do here. Furthermore, it doesn't matter. If you trip someone but you were trying to stop a goal you don't not get a penalty. He could have either used his stick to make a play, or do this and accept the consequences of his actions, but what he was trying to do doesn't change the consequences.

"Scheifele isn't a dirty player." - Cool that doesn't actually matter. He doesn't have to be a dirty player to make a dirty play, and this was a dirty play. Was Scheifele's intent to injure Evans? IDK, he certainly intended to hurt him, if not injure.

"There wasn't any head contact." - Right and head contact is not that only thing that determines if a hit is clean or dirty. Just because Scheifele didn't put his elbow through Evans skull doesn't make it a clean play.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Or we could put figure skates on everyone and let them wear dresses and implement a social distancing limit at all times while on the ice.

Sure, if that's what they want. Let the NHLPA and the NHL do whatever they want. It's their bodies and their careers. If they want to wield knives and stab each other, and they are consenting adults willing to do so, then go for it. If they want to sit around and read stories to each other then have at it as well. Ultimately they want to earn money, and the players have the full rights to do whatever they want as adults to do. As fans we have the full right to either watch or not. I'm done complaining about this issue any longer.

Imagine it's 2021 and we're still gonna act like figure skaters and women aren't tougher then most men lmao.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This hit is the literal definition of charging.
    Based on the definition of charging, every hit made where the hitter has taken even a single stride since stepping on the ice is charging since the hitter has travelled a distance and because every hit is violent.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I can't understand why someone would call that a clean hit. That was a hit with pure intent to injure. Scheifele needs to get suspended for 4 games minimum. He had no intention of playing the puck, he was there in time to prevent the goal but just lined evans up and went right through him. His skates were off the ice through the hit. I was hoping for chearing Winnipeg but now will chear on Montreal, just so that Scheifele will feel the humilation of watching his team lose. A few shots to the head if he comes back to play will not hurt as much as losing the series and knowing you were a large part of that defeat. I like the fast game being played today with more smaller players doing well in the league, connor, ehlers, caufield types excel today. I like hitting but brain dead plays like this have no place in the game.
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Imagine it's 2021 and we're still gonna act like figure skaters and women aren't tougher then most men lmao.
    It's troglodyte thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Based on the definition of charging, every hit made where the hitter has taken even a single stride since stepping on the ice is charging since the hitter has travelled a distance and because every hit is violent.
    Imagine if you quoted the whole post where I addressed that inane argument.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Fighting in hockey is way down... and I still find the game to be as exciting as ever.

NHL professionals are high-end skaters. What they can do with their body control (even at high speeds) is amazing.
    The hitting can be safer for any hockey player that makes an effort to practice safer hitting.
    Same thing applies in NFL/college football - the league AND players have both been getting better at targeting/blind-hits and the injuries from them.
    The NHL and its players can do likewise.
    i agree there are ways for the nhl to mitigate and get rid of dirty plays. Larkins season ended because of a cross check to the neck from Benn but no one cares. There’s no consistency in the rules/hits/questionable plays - even more so in the playoffs so how can you expect your every day player to know where the line is? It’s different every game, shoot it’s different every period in the same game

so if scheifele comes back and edmundson picks a fight with him and drops him like ovie did to svech, should edmundson be suspended? That’s straight up premeditated. Or is scheifele just getting what he’s due, even after serving a suspension or fine?
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

Quote Originally Posted by Blues_fan1000 View Post
    i agree there are ways for the nhl to mitigate and get rid of dirty plays. Larkins season ended because of a cross check to the neck from Benn but no one cares. There’s no consistency in the rules/hits/questionable plays - even more so in the playoffs so how can you expect your every day player to know where the line is? It’s different every game, shoot it’s different every period in the same game

so if scheifele comes back and edmundson picks a fight with him and drops him like ovie did to svech, should edmundson be suspended? That’s straight up premeditated. Or is scheifele just getting what he’s due, even after serving a suspension or fine?
    Yes, in that hypothetical scenario Edmundson should be suspended.

Dobber Sports Ace

Yes, in that hypothetical scenario Edmundson should be suspended.
    0% chance of that happening. Mackinnon got a $5k fine for literally throwing a helmet at someone
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

D:
    ​IR:
    NA:

Quote Originally Posted by Blues_fan1000 View Post
    0% chance of that happening. Mackinnon got a $5k fine for literally throwing a helmet at someone
    ok?

just because it should happen doesn't mean it will, but just because it doesn't doesn't mean it shouldn't.

and that hypothetical scenario and result doesn't change this play.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Sounds a lot like Wilson hits LOL! Especially the one from earlier this season that he got a 5k fine for.

I expect Scheifele will get one game, tops.
    This right here.

I took a really close look at the play in slo-mo absent of any emotional bias.

1) Sheif didn't appear to waiver from his intended path to try and beat Evens to the right side (his right) of the net to try and prevent the goal
    2) For those saying he didn't try to play the puck... take another look. his stick, to me, follows the trajectory of the puck just prior to the hit. His stick is in the crease (quite clear to me) just prior to contact.
    3) For those saying he left his feet and targetted the head... take another look. With my limited technology avail to slow the hit down, the only time Sheif's feet appear close to leaving the ice is while the impact is taking place. Much like a car hitting a stationary object.
    4) I will say that I do not read, nor have I looked up the definition of charging. BUT... If Evans spins out from behind the net and directly into the path of a full speed Scheifele, is he not somewhat responsible for putting himself in that position?

All happened so quickly but with no previous actions, that I can remember, of Scheifele playing dirty (much unlike the Wilson) comment, I think the hit is definitely unfortunate and scary, but both players contributed to it happening and likely this ends up as a $fine or 1 game max. If Wilson rag dolling Panarin not once but twice after driving Buch's face into the ice from above and behind warrants nothing but a $5K fine, I won't be surprised to see just a fine.

Not the the DOPS has behaved predictably in the past.
    Hope Evans has a speedy and full recovery.

The Great One

12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ace

ok?

just because it should happen doesn't mean it will, but just because it doesn't doesn't mean it shouldn't.

and that hypothetical scenario and result doesn't change this play.
    you’re right. I guess the lack of consistency with dops is what is frustrating
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

D:
    ​IR:
    NA:

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    1) Sheif didn't appear to waiver from his intended path to try and beat Evens to the right side (his right) of the net to try and prevent the goal
    2) For those saying he didn't try to play the puck... take another look. his stick, to me, follows the trajectory of the puck just prior to the hit. His stick is in the crease (quite clear to me) just prior to contact.
    I've watched it many times. Scheifele's stick doesn't move with the puck, it moves away from the puck and with his body as he turns to deliver the hit. If he doesn't swing his stick away from the puck and goal (back towards the opposite end of the rink) he likely stops a goal.

3) For those saying he left his feet and targetted the head... take another look. With my limited technology avail to slow the hit down, the only time Sheif's feet appear close to leaving the ice is while the impact is taking place. Much like a car hitting a stationary object.
    I agree. That doesn't mean it's not a suspendible hit. A hit doesn't have to have head contact to be suspension worthy.

4) I will say that I do not read, nor have I looked up the definition of charging. BUT... If Evans spins out from behind the net and directly into the path of a full speed Scheifele, is he not somewhat responsible for putting himself in that position?
    Everyone is framing this like what is Scheifele to do. I mean, what is Evans to do? He didn't alter his skating path at all it was clear from how he went to pick up the puck he was circling the net, and if he hadn't circled the net Scheifele still would have blasted him. If Evans doesn't take the hit full on like he did, he probably goes sideways into the boards and breaks his neck instead. Also, it's 2021. The onus is on the hitter, it has been for a very long time, and everybody knows that.