Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gretzky steps away from the Oilers

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Gretzky steps away from the Oilers

^From an experienced hockey fan point... yes, you are right.
    But... as you noted, TNT has not ever taken on any sport besides basketball (and Braves baseball, with TBS).

[It's actually interesting, because the "Turner" networks are based in Atlanta. And Turner family was part of the group that owned, and FAILED, the Atlanta Thrashers. But obviously - they still see some sort of upside in the sport of hockey.]

TNT does have that "base" of basketball coverage, they have the platform and system set up to run a similar 2.5hr sporting event.
    And... IF a newer network is gonna try to market to "newer" hockey fans... what is a NAME that the NOOB fan-base might recognize?
    I can give you one: Wayne Gretzky.
    The new/casual American hockey fan can likely only name one (maybe two) retired iconic hockey players.
    Point.Set.Match.
    (That's the reason. And if the Noobs don't know what is good hockey banter and what's bad... they'll take "the best". American's LOOOOVVVEEEE "the best"... so it's a good decision by TNT.)

Dobber Sports Titan

Gretzky also has a ton of stories about almost everyone I'm sure. So TNT gets to have someone who noob fans know, tell funny stories that noob fans can find funny and think they are learning hockey.

Plus the generation who is watching intermission hockey is 50+ or people who aren't hockey/sport fans and only fans of their cities team, so they stick around instead of switching off to go watch the final 5min of a period of another game. Lines up to fans who would enjoy hearing Gretzky stick around.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Gretzky doesn’t come across as a very exciting and interesting guy on tv unless he’s got a hockey stick and 99 on his back. Good luck to him tho.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Stud

I will admit that when I had a chance meeting with Gretzky in the press box many moons ago at a Leafs game, I could barely muster a "hi" without immediately feeling like I was a blushing, idol-obsessed 6-year-old again (and that's despite the fact that he wasn't even a favourite player of mine).

Gretz can transcend it all as far as I'm concerned. He might not be a great coach, he might not be a great broadcaster... but he's the "Great One". I would definitely tune in to an intermission to see if I could glean any small nugget about how playing the game 'felt' to someone at that level.

I mean, would anybody really have the stones to question a take from Gretzky where he says "this is the pass he should have made here"...
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji