Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vladar, Swayman, or Dostal?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Vladar, Swayman, or Dostal?

Quote Originally Posted by janneywheels View Post
    Good questions

namely his rebound control, which was pretty terrible in both his games this year (he came up with some big saves against Pitt but today he gave away a goal). the scouting report on him is he's huge but tends to scramble and lose his net, which we've definitely seen at the NHL level.

Swayman has also been ranked higher on prospect reports for a year now. Last I saw on Vladar he was the 11th best prospect on a team with the worst farm in the league. Swayman is much more fundamentally sound and has just been very successful at every level, netting him the #4 spot in that same ranking. Your point regarding AHL competition is noted, but also consider Vladars age 21/22 season he had an .898 Sv% & 2.73 GAA in 31 appearances. basically, even if you want to dismiss AHL goaltending stats this year Swayman still has next year to replicate Vladars stellar AHL campaign to fairly compare their career archs to this point.

I agree with you though that Vladar will likely be the backup in Boston next year. I just don't see him being anything much more than an NHL backup in Boston or elsewhere. If that is of value in a dynasty league then by all means keep him. but personally I see Swayman has likely to be at least an NHL backup with the higher ceiling and potential to be an NHL starter. so if the OP has time and prefers starter potential I'd choose Swayman all day.
    heh. This was only his 2nd NHL game after having a beauty of a 1st. And he still only gave up 2 goals and won the game, all be it against Buffalo. I've seen solid vets give up worse. I mean, and rookies... I think so far, he's played 2 games and he's ultimately looked good to very good. That may end quickly sure, but right now, against the NHL, he is looking like he's carrying over last years AHL form to me. Not quite Filip Gustavasson AMAZING, but still very good lol.

That's an interesting insight. But something like rebound control can be fixed. And then if he fixed that flaw, he could theoretically be "better". But I still think this one is ultimately too close to call, which is why I think we can all agree if he's investing in the Bruins future GK, he should hedge his bet and get them both. Not something I would worry about if I had say, Shesterkin, Sorokin or Askarov.

In regard to the rankings, it really depends on which outlet/site you look at. I've seen Vladar ranked ahead of Swayman still. Actually, I think Dobber has Vladar a few spots ahead of him in his GK prospect ranks. I would guess Swayman's higher draft position also effects the rankings in that people are more likely to "assume" or just perceive him as the better talent while Vladar is a bit older, drafted later and has been around long enough to show those flaws. But yea, this one going to have to play out over the course of the next few seasons. Kind of reminds me of the Khakonen and now the Briesbos situation with Minny. Working out so far for them. And Hunter Jones, ranked higher, drafted higher has been pretty average to bad. Either one of them could also make big progress.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

good stuff Steve

I would also add that, as a Bruins fan, I don't expect them to be a powerhouse in a couple years. Pasta and McAvoy will still be studs and Marchand should still be very good but Bergeron already has a nagging injury every year and a guy like Krejci will most likely be replaced by Coyle/Studnicka. the front offices inability to draft doesn't provide much hope that they will be able to restock once the elder core moves on or their play regresses. I don't know how much stock one would put into that when selecting future NHL goaltenders but it might be something to consider.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yeah, the plan is that I値l be holding both Vladar and Swayman to hedge my bet. I don稚 know who will turn out better, but our league is pretty deep on goalies so there isn稚 a ton of options available for me.

Those guys seem like my best bet to secure an up and coming goalie without having to trade away significant skater assets to obtain one.

I値l draft another active NHL goalie next season hopefully, but I think stocking my farm with Vladar, Swayman, and Dostal gives me some pieces to work with moving forward.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by janneywheels View Post
    good stuff Steve

I would also add that, as a Bruins fan, I don't expect them to be a powerhouse in a couple years. Pasta and McAvoy will still be studs and Marchand should still be very good but Bergeron already has a nagging injury every year and a guy like Krejci will most likely be replaced by Coyle/Studnicka. the front offices inability to draft doesn't provide much hope that they will be able to restock once the elder core moves on or their play regresses. I don't know how much stock one would put into that when selecting future NHL goaltenders but it might be something to consider.
    I understand that.

My experience is partly driven by winning a title last year in a really deep cap league where some of my key goalies were acquired the year before: Nilsson, McElhinney, and Stalock (all FA's) and Reimer, who I claimed off waivers. I also dealt for Greiss & Elliott, but they were backups and I gave up little. Basically every NHL goalie is on a roster in-season, so you need go trawling for whatever you can find off-season or among call-ups that have little pedigree.

I inherited Shesterkin & Merzlikins, and they helped as well, but I played all of the above guys a good amount. The other guy I inherited, I kept in my minors, as I either had to play him all the time, or lose him for free on waivers. So I kept him until I could deal him for a slight upgrade this year in Koskinen as part of a bigger package. Most importantly, I don't have that contract on my roster.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.