Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vladar, Swayman, or Dostal?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Vladar, Swayman, or Dostal?

I took over a dynasty team that I知 rebuilding. I知 learning goalies are super valuable in this league and I知 in rough shape.

Here are my goalies:
    - Fleury
    - Hart
    - Koskinen
    - Vladar
    - Dostal. (Farm)

Swayman is also available that I could pick up.

I have room to keep 4 goalies (using my farm), and since I知 rebuilding I was thinking about making Koskinen as the odd-man out.

Of those 6 goalies above, which 4 would you keep?
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, Coyle, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Daccord

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Vladar, Swayman, or Dostal?

I don稚 think your in too bad of shape in net for a rebuilding team. One of swayman and vladar should end up the starter. Hart will get better and dostal who knows. Try trading fleury or koskinen. Keep
    Hart
    Dostal
    Swayman
    Vladar and the one you don稚 end up trading.

Dobber Sports Ace

Hart clearly top dog. Personally, I think Vladar will be the better of the two over Swayman and take the long term GK job in Boston eventually. Swayman having terrific year in AHL, but considering taxi squads effect on the AHL, I don’t think this years AHL numbers are comparable to last season or any regular season. Taxi squads have meaningfully depleted the AHL talent pool for the season, so it’s much more difficult to use a AHL numbers as a measure. Comparably, Vladar was just about the best GK last season in a much deeper and more talented AHL.

Can look at the AHL numbers and quite a few young GKs are playing above their norm. Take Stuart Skinner for Oilers. Many had all but given up on him and now he’s dominating the AHL. It’s hard to tell if he would have made such a leap we’re it not for the pandemic effect. So, Skinner could very well be Oilers future number one, but it’s far more unclear this season. FYI, I did add Skinner to any prospect slots I had open, because if he does end up as the Oilers future #1, he’s going to be a huge fantasy asset.

I’d go Hart, Vladar, Swayman, Dostal though and trade the rest if can. Vladar looked terrific in his first start. Granted it was one start, but the talent is certainly there, as is the legit AHL track record.

My best advice though, is don't overestimate the year Swayman is having in the AHL. I don't think we will really get a gauge on what Swaymen can do until at least next season in the AHL, when the league is at full strength. I still see Vladar as the superior prospect/player for now. He did what Swaymen is doing against much better talent last season. And Vladar's AHL numbers this season really aren't far off Swaymen's, all though he's played less games for Rochester this year.

I do feel though if you do keep Vladar you will want Swayman for insurance. It's almost guaranteed one of the two end up the future #1 for Bruins.

You definitely should be able to get a good haul for Fleury though, the way he's been playing. He's been just about the best GK in the league. I would make sure I don't undersell him in this situation.

Koskinen going to be tougher as he's losing out to Mike Smith this season and they could bring up Skinner or bring Smith or another vet in next year. You won't be able to get a ton for Koskinen, but I would shop he and Fleury for sure.

Please help with mine, thanks - https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...-Kyrou-Dynasty
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

That's not rough. I would have loved to have been in shape that rough when I took over my first dynasty. It was 2018, and the core was Murray, Neuvirth, Pavelec.

Hart, Fleury, Valdar, Swayman is how I'd do it without trades. While I know Dostal has looked good, I'd prefer to double down on the chances of having the Bruins net.

However, if you can deal Fleury for significant skater help, to keep Dostal, that may work even better if you're not a contender anytime soon.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    That's not rough. I would have loved to have been in shape that rough when I took over my first dynasty. It was 2018, and the core was Murray, Neuvirth, Pavelec.

Hart, Fleury, Valdar, Swayman is how I'd do it without trades. While I know Dostal has looked good, I'd prefer to double down on the chances of having the Bruins net.

However, if you can deal Fleury for significant skater help, to keep Dostal, that may work even better if you're not a contender anytime soon.
    Same. I imagine he would have no problem moving MAF the way he's been dominating this season. He would have to be one of the contending teams main GK targets. He's probably been the best GK in the league honestly. But yea, I guess if they can't move MAF for some reason, you would have to keep him next season over Dostal. But I honestly think you could get like at least a 1st round pick and very good prospect for MAF at the moment.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for the input. I think what I知 going to try to do is make room to keep 5 and drop koskinen. I値l look to see what the offers are for Fleury and trade him if I can upgrade on Forward

Dobber Sports Padawan

Update: I threw out Fleury and Koskinen to the league as trade bait.

I was offered Monahan for Fleury. Thoughts? I am thinking I might see if I can get Monahan plus a pick for him and roll with the young guys

I think I'd want a pick in addition, as Monahan is good, but I think you can get more.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by joeb323 View Post
    Update: I threw out Fleury and Koskinen to the league as trade bait.

I was offered Monahan for Fleury. Thoughts? I am thinking I might see if I can get Monahan plus a pick for him and roll with the young guys
    I’d definitely try to get more. But at MAF’s age, that might be about the limit most would be willing to pay. In my league, 18 team, dynasty multicat, he went for a very late 1st round pick and Jack Quinn. Which I think is an ok haul. That’s probably around what Monahan would go for as well, all though I could see him garnering either a better prospect, pick or both. So Monahan might actually get a better return. But it’s close.

So basically, I would squeeze out whatever you can on top of Monahan, but I think he’s a fair return on his own. All though I’d much prefer Elias Lindholm if we talking Flames players lol.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I ended up doing a deal that included Monahan, Francouz, Dellandrea and mid round pick for Fleury and some pieces I wasn稚 planning on keeping anyway. I知 in full on rebuild mode now with my goalies, hope it works out long term

Sounds like you did well.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Bruins fan here

I don't know much about dynasty goaltending strategy but I don't see Vladar having much of an NHL career. Swayman is still green but worth keeping, imo.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10 Team H2H, 1 Year League
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 5B, 2IR
    G, A, PPP, +/-, SOG, Hits, W, Sv%, GAA, SO

C: Point, Zibanejad, Trochek, Hintz (LW), Benn (LW)
    LW: Ovechkin, Fiala (RW)
    RW: Marner, Pastrnak
    D: Petry, Hamilton, Barrie, Josi
    G: Campbell, Khudobin, Talbot, Saros

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by janneywheels View Post
    Bruins fan here

I don't know much about dynasty goaltending strategy but I don't see Vladar having much of an NHL career. Swayman is still green but worth keeping, imo.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that? Vladar looked very good in his first game, all be it just one game. And he was the best GK in the AHL last season, or at least in that conversation. And he’s looked good again this season.

The AHL last season, and any normal season, was a far superior league than it is this season. With taxi squads the AHL is heavily depleted in talent, it’s nit even really close to the standard it usually is. So I know Swayman is having a very good AHL season, but I don’t believe it’s worth nearly as much as usual. Other goalies like Breisbois, Skinner etc. are having dominant years in the AHL right now because if this.

I definitely don’t think you can take this years AHL stats and performances seriously in terms of gauging a player. Especially GKs. Because a Taxi squads I think are more forward and D heavy. So the AHL GK talent pool is much closer to normal than the D and forward pools. Which I think is a big part of the reason why a number of AHL goalies are playing above their true form right now.

Anyway, Unless they resign both Rask and Halak for next year, I am pretty certain Vladar will get his real rookie season underway as the backup to whomever they do resign. Unless of course one or both of Galak/Rask retires. Then I think they’ll bring in a vet to act as Vladar mentor. While Swayman will almost certainly be in the AHL still.

And I don’t think we will really know what Swayman can do until we see him against real competition in the AHL next season. A league Vladar has all ready handled nicely when it was at full strength.

For me, Vladar looked ready for the Nhl last season. And he didn’t change my mind in his initial and only nhl start this season.

Also, just regarding pedigree and draft position, I think Vladar was taken a year or two prior to Swayman and maybe 1 round after whatever round Swayman was taken in his respective draft year. But.with GK, it’s preety normal for pedigree and draft position to not matter very much in terms of how goalies turn out. Well, the elite of the elite, drafted early first round, like Vasilievsky, Askarav, Oettinger etc., often do reach their ceiling. But beyond those very few special talents, picking young goalies and developing them is a crapshoot. And you often won’t know how good a GK will be until they’ve turned like 23-25 years old and prove themselves overseas, in the AHL or in the NHL. Quite a few 2nd-6th round picks have turned into studs or will *Shesterkin, Blackwood, Binnington etc. But most never end up seeing nhl ice. So I don’t really factor in draft position too heavily unless it’s a 1st round pick. Ie, 2nd round picks, Hunter Jones and Olivier Rodriguez have both looked pretty bad so far in the early days of their respective pro careers. While guys drafted much later, Skinner for Oil, or in the case of Briesbois for Wild, he might have gone undrafted, have looked far superior playing for the same AHL clubs.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Good questions

namely his rebound control, which was pretty terrible in both his games this year (he came up with some big saves against Pitt but today he gave away a goal). the scouting report on him is he's huge but tends to scramble and lose his net, which we've definitely seen at the NHL level.

Swayman has also been ranked higher on prospect reports for a year now. Last I saw on Vladar he was the 11th best prospect on a team with the worst farm in the league. Swayman is much more fundamentally sound and has just been very successful at every level, netting him the #4 spot in that same ranking. Your point regarding AHL competition is noted, but also consider Vladars age 21/22 season he had an .898 Sv% & 2.73 GAA in 31 appearances. basically, even if you want to dismiss AHL goaltending stats this year Swayman still has next year to replicate Vladars stellar AHL campaign to fairly compare their career archs to this point.

I agree with you though that Vladar will likely be the backup in Boston next year. I just don't see him being anything much more than an NHL backup in Boston or elsewhere. If that is of value in a dynasty league then by all means keep him. but personally I see Swayman has likely to be at least an NHL backup with the higher ceiling and potential to be an NHL starter. so if the OP has time and prefers starter potential I'd choose Swayman all day.
    10 Team H2H, 1 Year League
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 5B, 2IR
    G, A, PPP, +/-, SOG, Hits, W, Sv%, GAA, SO

C: Point, Zibanejad, Trochek, Hintz (LW), Benn (LW)
    LW: Ovechkin, Fiala (RW)
    RW: Marner, Pastrnak
    D: Petry, Hamilton, Barrie, Josi
    G: Campbell, Khudobin, Talbot, Saros

Lots of people have different dynasty goalie strategies. In deep leagues, especially when you are taking over a team with a fairly dry pipeline, I find that simply grabbing the guys who are somewhat close to the NHL and also trying to corner a team's top prospects increases the chance you get somebody useful.

Every season, there are guys who are useful depth pieces who come out of nowhere. Some are young, some aren't, but you can get utility when playing them, and hopefully deal some of them once you figure out more of what you have.