Thread: What happens with Grubauer next year?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default What happens with Grubauer next year?

First year in fantasy hockey so I'm looking for some help!

Does anyone have ideas about him? Re-sign in COL and become bonafide starter? Top 10 goalie?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: What happens with Grubauer next year?

I think they bring him back and stick to the tandem again. Assuming Francouz is healthy by next year.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Agree that they probably being him back, might look to for some insurance if they don't trust Francouz and Annunen is not available.

I'd definitely keep an eye on extension news - especially now that Binnington got extended.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would expect them to bring him back. Avs are aware of their upcoming cap situation and won’t want to overpay for a goalie and think they can win with grub with how they play defensively. They should be able to get Grub at a reasonable AAV.
    8 Team Keeper League
    Keep 35 at the end of the year+5 JR slots(can be kept for 3 yrs after draft or less than 10 NHL games)

Points(4) PIM(0.5) +\-(0.5) Wins(5) SO(5) GA(-0.5) Save(0.1)

Roster:
    17F
    8D
    3G
    12Farm
    5 JR spots

F: Landeskog Mackinnon Kaprizov Panarin Rantanen Bratt Buchnevich Hintz
    Kreider Svechnikov Marner T. Wilson Guentzel Rust Fiala Aho Meier

D: Carlson Toews Theodore Krug Klingberg Barrie Ekblad Weegar

G: Bobrovsky Saros Vasilevskiy

Farm: Hagel, Petersen, Yamamoto, R. Strome, Addison Bjorkstrand ,JEEK, Duchene, Hartman, Severson, Burakovsky ,Nicushkin, Barbashev

JRs: Bourgault L. Cormier Lambos Olausson Zellweger

IR: Couturier/Ellis

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He's already a bonafide starter and a top-10 fantasy goalie.

If the Avalanche don't bring him back, that'd be an epic level of stupidity.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    He's already a bonafide starter and a top-10 fantasy goalie.

If the Avalanche don't bring him back, that'd be an epic level of stupidity.
    If the Avalanche don't bring him back, that'd be because he asked for too much money and they weren't desperate enough to give it to him.

Francouz had a .922 save% last year in 29 starts, very similar to Grubhauer's .923 save% this year in 22 starts. They don't need to overpay Grubhauer.

As long as he is willing to take a reasonable amount of money then they'll likely resign him and continue to give both goalies starts. They are about the same age and talent level.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Depends on what he asks for. If he asks for Binnington money, the Avs walk away but if he's willing to settle for something like 4 or 5 years at $5 AAV, they'll re-sign him.

Also, it's not just the current Avs goalies that should be under consideration. They are a few interesting UFAs, like Andersen, Mrazek, Driedger, Rask, Halak (although I don't think the Avs would go after the aging BOS goalies).
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Deity

To me, his placement on the top goalie list depends on his situation. In Colorado, he can be a top 10 goalie. If he goes elsewhere, he drops dramatically for me.

Colorado leads the league in two very important categories; the most shots for, and the least shots against. Basically, the ice is tilted in Colorado's favor every game because they control the play so much which makes Grubauer look better than he really is. Dont get me wrong, he still has to stop the shots he faces, which he is doing this season, but when your team controls the play, most goalies will look better than they truly are.

Again, where he plays next year is important to his ranking.

As far as if he is going back to COL next year, who knows. As mentioned, his contract demands could be a bit stickler especially when you consider what I just said above. They dont have to pay big money to a goalie to be successful when you control the play the majority of the time.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    If the Avalanche don't bring him back, that'd be because he asked for too much money and they weren't desperate enough to give it to him.

Francouz had a .922 save% last year in 29 starts, very similar to Grubhauer's .923 save% this year in 22 starts. They don't need to overpay Grubhauer.

As long as he is willing to take a reasonable amount of money then they'll likely resign him and continue to give both goalies starts. They are about the same age and talent level.
    I feel like your implication here is that Francouz provides a hedge if Grubauer wants more money than the Avs are willing to spend. I find that hard to believe. Francouz has played 36 games in his entire career, will turn 31 in June, and has at the very least shown a minor history of injuries. He's not a hedge for Colorado IMO.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    I feel like your implication here is that Francouz provides a hedge if Grubauer wants more money than the Avs are willing to spend. I find that hard to believe. Francouz has played 36 games in his entire career, will turn 31 in June, and has at the very least shown a minor history of injuries. He's not a hedge for Colorado IMO.
    Colorado is way too good on both offense and defense to need to overpay a goalie who has never started more than 36 games in a season, in my opinion. But I am often wrong.