Thread: Expectations for Stalock in EDM

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Expectations for Stalock in EDM

Does anyone expect any relevance out of Stalock in EDM?

Smith has to eventually come down to earth and Koskinen is...........well.........ugh.

Anyone think that after Stalock passes through quarantine protocols and becomes available that EDM waives Koskinen?

This would leave a Smith/Stalock tandem at NHL level.

I can't imagine anyone claiming Koskinen with his performance and contract.

Opinions?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Expectations for Stalock in EDM

Stalock is likely just injury and expansion draft insurance. I doubt the Oilers will be waiving either Smith or Koskinen any time soon. Although if Koskinen keeps playing the way he has recently, it's a possibility. The Oilers probably like that Stalock and Smith both play similar styles as they both move the puck extremely well and aggressively. That's the complete opposite of Koskinen who handles the puck like it's a grenade.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He's got to get through quarantine, but he can get some games in before that in Bakersfield. With the crazy goalie situations, it wouldn't be nuts to see him get traded to a US team after a couple rehab starts, but I think they bring him in.

If Stalock gets to actually play for the Oilers, there's a chance he's the guy they protect in expansion. Smith is a 38 year old pending UFA, he's a very unlikely protect.

Koskinen & Stalock are both under contract for next year, so it would be one of them or Skinner or Wells, the last two also seem unlikely. Stalock is a lot cheaper, and makes sense as a budget goalie for them, especially if he & Smith have similar styles, which is a plus for a team.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    He's got to get through quarantine, but he can get some games in before that in Bakersfield. With the crazy goalie situations, it wouldn't be nuts to see him get traded to a US team after a couple rehab starts, but I think they bring him in.

If Stalock gets to actually play for the Oilers, there's a chance he's the guy they protect in expansion. Smith is a 38 year old pending UFA, he's a very unlikely protect.

Koskinen & Stalock are both under contract for next year, so it would be one of them or Skinner or Wells, the last two also seem unlikely. Stalock is a lot cheaper, and makes sense as a budget goalie for them, especially if he & Smith have similar styles, which is a plus for a team.
    When I wrote this, i was only thinking for this year. I wasn't even considering the expansion draft. The future implications are interesting as well.

I could see EDM letting Smith walk and exposing Koskinen(or even make a deal for SEA to "take" him versus someone else to get him off their hands). Or, if they can get rid of Koskinen that route even resigning Smith or another UFA and using Stalock as a cheap backup or in a 1a/1b situation.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
    When I wrote this, i was only thinking for this year. I wasn't even considering the expansion draft. The future implications are interesting as well.

I could see EDM letting Smith walk and exposing Koskinen(or even make a deal for SEA to "take" him versus someone else to get him off their hands). Or, if they can get rid of Koskinen that route even resigning Smith or another UFA and using Stalock as a cheap backup or in a 1a/1b situation.
    Looking at the Oilers goalies currently in regards to the expansion draft, they can protect/expose who ever they want. Koskinen, Stalock, Skinner and Wells are all options to be exposed (although Skinner and Wells both expire at the end of this season along with Smith, both are RFAs and will surely get re-signed) but they do have to protect one of them (unless the Oilers can find a way to acquire someone else between now and then). I'd be fine protecting Stalock at this point and exposing the others. I dont think it will matter as I dont see Seattle looking Edmonton's way for a goalie at the draft table. The Oilers will probably lose a Dman like William Lagesson in the expansion draft if I had to guess.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Stalock needs to show up, clear quarantine, and pass his physical. If all that happens Koskinen gets waived and goes to the taxi squad and Stalock and Smith split down the stretch.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Stalock needs to show up, clear quarantine, and pass his physical. If all that happens Koskinen gets waived and goes to the taxi squad and Stalock and Smith split down the stretch.
    Maybe, or they just keep three up. Hard to say what Holland will do here. You have to remember that Stalock has played a total of four games in a year (the playoffs after the play returned last summer); that's it. Four games since last march when the world stopped. If you think they are just going to throw him to the wolves you're crazy. He'll stay up and practice with the big club for a bit and they will roll three goalies while this is happening. At some point, they will put Stalock into a game before they put anyone on waivers. Until that happens, Koskinen and Smith arent going anywhere.

That's what I see happening.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Nah - four games in a year is still better than Koskinen.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Nah - four games in a year is still better than Koskinen.
    You really need to watch the games instead of looking at numbers LOL!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You really need to watch the games instead of looking at numbers LOL!
    I watch way more hockey than I probably should. And I have no idea what his numbers actually are right now. He's terrible and that's based on the eye test.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR: