Page 89 of 121 FirstFirst ... 39 79 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 99 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1814

Thread: 2021 DobberBaseball League

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 2021 DobberBaseball League

The base of it is to show that the MLB doesn't support voter suppression, and the whole city needs to wake up and be against it. Moving the all-star game is a way to bring some attention to it. There should be bigger consequences for that kind of thing, but this is all the MLB can really do right now.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    But what was the reasoning? All I have seen is that Georgia passed a law?

What was the law that Georgia passed? And why is the Braves organization being punished because of the law that their state passed?
    The law passed has to do with perceived voter suppression. I'm not too educated on the actual bill (that's why I'm saying perceived) but it's to do with voting suppression.

And I'm sure there's clauses in the ASG/Draft Location deals where the MLB can pull it. So I can't really comment on punishing the Braves on this, but I think the stance MLB is taking on this is larger than the loss possible revenue for the Braves.

It's a move that looks good at a quick look by more people than would be upset with the loss revenue for Atlanta I'd say.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    The base of it is to show that the MLB doesn't support voter suppression, and the whole city needs to wake up and be against it. Moving the all-star game is a way to bring some attention to it. There should be bigger consequences for that kind of thing, but this is all the MLB can really do right now.
    Is the owner of the Braves a big supporter of the new law? And what is the new law exactly? The whole city should be against it yes sure... but why the MLB All-Star game?

Is there a direct co-relation between the Braves organization and the new law?

Or is it simply because of the money that Atlanta would receive because of the new law?

I hate when American politics messes with the sporting world.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Pretty sure as soon as the bill passed, major companies came out and made statements against the Bill (Uber, SnapChat, Target) but The Braves didn't and the organization seems pretty pissed at the league's decision.

And with the CEO of Liberty Mutual (Braves ownership), he's donated money towards Trump's inauguration, as well as the 3 divisions of Liberty Mutual donating towards it. So with a quick google search, and a bit of assumption, I can see Atlanta Braves Owners being for the Bill without saying it directly...But that's a pure assumption.

I'm for sports bringing political topics to the forefront when it's a big deal since most people who do watch sports aren't typically heavy into politics so it's a good use of power to point out on ESPN what is being talked about on CNN/Fox or whatever. There is a line for me tho, and I will say that line moves. (Derail info...my bad)

Dobber Sports Titan

Generally I like to keep my sports and politics separate as well, but when real change is needed I'm all for standing up on whatever platform you have.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Pretty sure as soon as the bill passed, major companies came out and made statements against the Bill (Uber, SnapChat, Target) but The Braves didn't and the organization seems pretty pissed at the league's decision.

And with the CEO of Liberty Mutual (Braves ownership), he's donated money towards Trump's inauguration, as well as the 3 divisions of Liberty Mutual donating towards it. So with a quick google search, and a bit of assumption, I can see Atlanta Braves Owners being for the Bill without saying it directly...But that's a pure assumption.

I'm for sports bringing political topics to the forefront when it's a big deal since most people who do watch sports aren't typically heavy into politics so it's a good use of power to point out on ESPN what is being talked about on CNN/Fox or whatever. There is a line for me tho, and I will say that line moves. (Derail info...my bad)
    There are so many things wrong with American politics... wow.

I can see this decision being made if someone of influence for the Braves deliberately came out and bragged up the new law and were all over the news about it.

But without knowing the full story - it seems like mis-use of MLB power - without more direct influence why make the change?

Because the Braves owner supported Trump in his inauguration how many years ago?

Did Coco-Cola stop selling Coke in Georgia?

Did Delta stop flying their air-planes into Georgia?

No, these two companies are still making money in Georgia

Why wouldn't the MLB just do the same as these companies instead of punishing one of its organizations?

I am guessing there will be both Democratic and Republican businesses that are effected by the loss of significant tourist dollars.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

I dunno if it was pointed out, but the voter suppression is a direct attack at Democrat voters. That's why I looked at the CEO donating to Trump.

The league is obviously taking a risk upsetting people with the decision, but I think more people will end up thinking it's a good move, but it might piss off their long time fans more.

Now just watch MLB move the game to Arlington where they'll have a full stadium....I wouldn't be shocked at all if the game gets moved to a city that will allow a full stadium.

I dunno if it was pointed out, but the voter suppression is a direct attack at Democrat voters. That's why I looked at the CEO donating to Trump.

The league is obviously taking a risk upsetting people with the decision, but I think more people will end up thinking it's a good move, but it might piss off their long time fans more.

Now just watch MLB move the game to Arlington where they'll have a full stadium....I wouldn't be shocked at all if the game gets moved to a city that will allow a full stadium.
    I still don't fully understand what the 'voter suppression' is or why it is a direct attack at Democrat voters?

Like I said I don't know the full extent to the new law... but I can see the benefits of requiring identification - we require it in Canada to vote - do we feel suppressed because we have to show our ID?

I can see both sides of the providing food and water to those standing in lines - the idea of 'buying votes' or 'withholding food and water' if not voting a certain way. But I also know that if I am going to stand in a long line and people can give me free food... then I am likely going to take myself a sandwich and a water bottle.

I read that the new law came down off of some of the 'suppressing' parts of the originally proposed new law.

I read that they originally proposed that absentee voters had to have a legit reason and this is not part of the new law.

And some specific Sunday rules were proposed but also negated.

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

I still don't fully understand what the 'voter suppression' is or why it is a direct attack at Democrat voters?

Like I said I don't know the full extent to the new law... but I can see the benefits of requiring identification - we require it in Canada to vote - do we feel suppressed because we have to show our ID?

I can see both sides of the providing food and water to those standing in lines - the idea of 'buying votes' or 'withholding food and water' if not voting a certain way. But I also know that if I am going to stand in a long line and people can give me free food... then I am likely going to take myself a sandwich and a water bottle.

I read that the new law came down off of some of the 'suppressing' parts of the originally proposed new law.

I read that they originally proposed that absentee voters had to have a legit reason and this is not part of the new law.

And some specific Sunday rules were proposed but also negated.

Again, I'm not too well educated on it, but it's about limiting mail in voting stations, lowering (I think) voting stations in areas that just so happen to have a high black population..., and making it illegal to hand water out to people in line to vote.

I think people who can't take a day off to vote due to not making a lot of money and able to miss a day pay tends to be more the black community which republicans don't typically have those votes. So if the lines too long, and it's uncomfortable to wait in line a long time, less people go out to vote.

Again I'm not super knowledgeable on it all, I've taken a break from political news just because I'm almost exhausted from the bad news lately. But I'll take the stance on if people feel suppressed, they likely are if the amount of people are "loud" (large) enough.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Not to deflect from the conversation you all are having. I just wanted to put it out there. I am available if owners are needed in fantasy leagues. I am in the process of culling my fantasy teams to the ones that are interesting, And y'all are interesting. I am also looking to start a baseball league next year. It would be called Arms Race. The idea is the focus in on pitching weekly. You still have batter but instead of positions I use all UTIL so it is basically like setting a line up card. DH of course. This way you don't have to worry about position only stats. It will be a points head to head league. I play in a variance of it now and it is a lot of fun. I would like some of you guys to join in. It may be on ESPN though. I like yahoo but some things are done easier on ESPN. I just wanted to put in out there.

- - - Updated - - -

side note I made 3 trades in my hockey pool. Love trading.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

What do you all make of these trades. Bear in mind I am probably going to miss the playoffs and the deadline in April 8th.

Trade 1: I received Slavin Round 11 and 12 picks, I gave away Klingberg a Round 13 and 17 picks.
    Trade 2: I received Laine/Pulock/Halak and Round 10 pick, for Palat/Letang/Mike Smith and Round 16 pick.
    Trade 3. I received Provorov for Petry.

League is in my signature. Its a Keep6 which mine are currently Couturier/Laine/Stamkos/Lindholm/Fox/Hart but I will have to choose if I want to keep Provy and Ned the goalie or Jack Hughes. Decisions will have to be made. I am currently shopping Stamkos/Lindholm/Hughes to the highest bidder. I have 2 10th rounders, 2 11th rounders, and 4 12th rounders. I feel good about that.
    Yahoo Fantasy League H2H 12 Team Six Keeper League
    El Volantes

C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, G, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+, IR+, NA

Stats:
    G,A,PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV% and Shutouts.

4 game minimum starts for goalies per week.

Centers - Couturier/Hayes(C)
    Left Wing - Tartar(LW,RW)/Laine(LW,RW)
    Right Wing – Stamkos(C,LW,RW)//E. Lindholm(C,RW)
    Utility Guy – J McCann (C,LW)
    D-Men -- Fox/Provorov/Slavin/Pulock
    Goalies - Hart/Nedeljkovic/Bobrovsky/Elliott/Halak

Bench –Cirelli(C,RW)/Hughes(LW,C)/Lehtonen (D)/Kubalik(LW/RW)

IR -- Raanta (G)

"The Dude Abides."

Won't be moved to Arlington by the sounds of it.... https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...-invite-479049

The Texas governor went on to write that the state "will not seek to host the All-Star Game or any other MLB special events."
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ninety Punks View Post
    Not to deflect from the conversation you all are having. I just wanted to put it out there. I am available if owners are needed in fantasy leagues. I am in the process of culling my fantasy teams to the ones that are interesting, And y'all are interesting. I am also looking to start a baseball league next year. It would be called Arms Race. The idea is the focus in on pitching weekly. You still have batter but instead of positions I use all UTIL so it is basically like setting a line up card. DH of course. This way you don't have to worry about position only stats. It will be a points head to head league. I play in a variance of it now and it is a lot of fun. I would like some of you guys to join in. It may be on ESPN though. I like yahoo but some things are done easier on ESPN. I just wanted to put in out there.

- - - Updated - - -

side note I made 3 trades in my hockey pool. Love trading.

Keep me in mind when doing this!

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Won't be moved to Arlington by the sounds of it.... https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...-invite-479049

- - - Updated - - -

Keep me in mind when doing this!
    Wow that's a shock about Arlington.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Welcome to the season Nelson Cruz.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantas...5w7&isSubmit=y

- - - Updated - - -

Keep me in mind when doing this![/QUOTE]

https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantas...5w7&isSubmit=y

I started one on Fantraz. This will be my first league in Fantrax. I am low expectations but I think my point setup is so much fun.

JOin me?
    Yahoo Fantasy League H2H 12 Team Six Keeper League
    El Volantes

C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, G, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+, IR+, NA

Stats:
    G,A,PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV% and Shutouts.

4 game minimum starts for goalies per week.

Centers - Couturier/Hayes(C)
    Left Wing - Tartar(LW,RW)/Laine(LW,RW)
    Right Wing – Stamkos(C,LW,RW)//E. Lindholm(C,RW)
    Utility Guy – J McCann (C,LW)
    D-Men -- Fox/Provorov/Slavin/Pulock
    Goalies - Hart/Nedeljkovic/Bobrovsky/Elliott/Halak

Bench –Cirelli(C,RW)/Hughes(LW,C)/Lehtonen (D)/Kubalik(LW/RW)

IR -- Raanta (G)

"The Dude Abides."