Thread: Who to start Thursday?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Who to start Thursday?

Category is SV%

Andersen at home vs. Canucks
    Shesterkin at home vs. Capitals

If the team's backup plays, I likely get the backups stat

I don't think I've asked a who should I start before for my league in sig, so I want to see what folks think.
    I expect this to be interesting as SV% is highly variable
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Who to start Thursday?

Andersen over Shest. Caps are playing great right now and I'm sure won't be happy after blowing that lead on Monday.

The Great One

Agreed - Andersen.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Vancouver is scoring 3.69 goals per game on 30.6 shots which results in opponents having 26.91 saves per game (26.91/30.6) = 87.9% opponent save percentage

Washington is scoring 3.47 goals per game on 28.5 shots which results in opponents having 25.03 saves per game (25.03/28.5) = 87.8% opponent save percentage

So both Vancouver and Washington are scoring at a decent rate and their opponent save percentages are not great.

So I am not sure either option is a good option.

Keeping in mind that Washington was without Ovechkin for a handful of games and Kuznetsov for a handful of games and is still out. So one would expect a team missing two top guns would result in more goals and a higher goals per game.

So if I have to choose one of the two it is Andersen... but if it is a feasible option, I would sit them both.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Choosing which goalie to start is always a crapshoot simply because most teams can pull out a victory on any given night, especially teams like Vancouver and Washington.

Let's just say I'm more confident in Washington winning these days than Vancouver.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm going with Andersen with this situation here, I like TOR chances much more against a weak VAN DEF that should allow them to give Andersen enough to win. It's a tough one as both could just get lit up but I would lean Andersen.
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

Dobber Sports Veteran

I expcet Canucks @ Leafs to be a low scoring game at least from the Vancouver end..so I would start Andersen. GL!
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Demi-God

If you (OP) has subscription to the athletic, I'd recommend checking Dom's daily odds for games.
    Today's (Feb 4th) is not yet up... but I've got to believe that TOR (vs. VAN) is better odds on fave to win... than NYR is (vs. WAS).

Andersen (TOR), for me.
    Let's not forget that the NYR-D is still trying to find its way... (with or without TonyD)

Dobber Sports Sage

I have a similar situation with starting 2 of Shesty, Andersen, and Demko. Andersen was the easy choice (to answer the OP's question). Went with Shesty over Demko just because losses are a stat. Demko might present a good buying opportunity since he is playing very well but in front of a putrid defense.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ace

goalies are so tough this year... a lot of feast/famine going on. Rags just can't find their groove, so I'd steer clear until they get on a roll - which will eventually happen (at least for a stretch). Vancouver is a yoyo... they remind me of watching the Oilers several years back (or now, lol)... flying up and back like bulls in china shops with little control and no regards in D end. It causes me anxiety watching. I guess I'd choose Andersen... no Red... no Black..... Red! Uh, Black!!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Thanks everyone. Since wins don't count, gambling odds barely matter, and I'd ignore odds on teams like the Rangers & Leafs somewhat anyway, due to the numbers of gamblers who are fans.

I don't have an Athletic subscription. Have thought about it, but have enough to read to last more than the rest of my life, unless I hit 90.

I went with Shesterkin with Andersen backing up. Just figured I would go with my gut instinct - thinking the lack of DeAngelo should be a boost to the Rangers' D efforts.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

That instinct! Great job, Steve!
    Devils & Predators fan