Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Valimaki

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Valimaki

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Valimaki with another nice showing on Tuesday. Another one of his patented assists, head up and just perfectly place a little wrister-pass for an easy deflection. That plus 4 SOG and according to some big Flames commentators just a great performance.

Now has pretty decent rookie stats: 12 games, 4 assists, 18 SOG, 17 Blocks. Still no real PP time, but with the PP not working all that well so that could change soon.

I'm actually following VAlimaki and his peers closely this year, notably Byram and Romanov (who I both passed over for Valimaki in this year's draft). He's comparing favorably. Personally I think all 3 will have a major impact in their own way, and their careers will probably be equally impactful top 2-3 dmen, albeit each bringing a bit different skillsets (Romanov more physical, Valimaki more finesse and set up guy, Byram more Hughes-like attacker). Would love thoughts!
    I'm also trying to stay patient with Valimaki.
    His pedigree is exciting.
    While his opportunity may not be ideal at the moment, 5 points in his last 9 GP is pretty good with virtually no PP minutes.
    His output in Sweden in late 2020 was too good to be a fluke, IMO.
    Just needs some opportunity and build confidence.
    Love this kid!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not sure if it's a one-time share but Juuso was the PP1 defenseman today over Andersson.
    16 Team H2H Yahoo Keeper League; 30 men roster (and 20 combined IR; IR+; 5 NA spots)
    Starters: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 2D, 4UTIL, 1G (2 starts per week required)
    Categories: G; A; P; +-; PPP; SHP; GWG; SOG, FOW, HIT / W; L; GAA; SV%; SHO

C: Barkov, Horvat, Cirelli (RW), Mercer (RW), Newhook (LW), A. Lowry, Hayton (LW), Dowd (RW), Rossi, Dellandrea (RW), M. Savoie
    LW/RW: A. Svechnikov, Guentzel, J. Robertson, E. Kane, Batherson, Bjorkstrand, Jarvis, Lehkonen, C. Brown, Vatrano, Peterka, Chinakhov, Balcers, Raddysh, Marchenko, Soderblom, Barabanov, Ohgren
    D: Seider, Dahlin, Heiskanen, Liljegren
    G: Hellebuyck, Saros, Ullmark, Wolf, Annunen

Dobber Sports Veteran

just a note: Valimaki with 3:50 on the PP last night - the most of all d-men.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Deity

I believe both Dobson and Valimaki have excellent futures in front of them. I agree with Steve that Dobson is the better choice today but in a keeper, I expect that gap to close within a year.

There is no wrong answer here. I am fan of both kids.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Valimaki slotted for PP1 duties again tonight.

SEIZING THE OPPORTUNITY
    Valimaki playing more minutes and getting shot to quarterback the No.-1 powerplay unit
    by RYAN DITTRICK @ryandittrick / CalgaryFlames.com
    3:25 PM
    Facebook Share
    Twitter Share
    Link Share
    Email Share

In the growth of a young player, you look for little milestones, evaluate the break-throughs and help create good habits.

Then, gradually, add more to his plate.

Juuso Valimaki is no stranger to quarterbacking a powerplay, munching up minutes, or playing the right side as a left-handed shooter, as former Flame TJ Brodie was famous for doing around these parts.

Doing it at the NHL level, though? That's a vastly new set of responsibilities.

But he's crushing it so far.

"I think I've played some good games and overall, I'm trying to make the most of it," Valimaki said Wednesday after the morning skate at the Scotiabank Saddledome. The Flames wrap up a four-game set with the Vancouver Canucks tonight, and for the second straight outing, the rookie defenceman will start the night as the all-important point man on the No.-1 powerplay unit.

"I'm happy with the opportunity," he smiled. "At the end of the day, I shouldn't think that I should have to change my game, or make too big a deal out of it. It's another game, we're all in it (together), and we'll try to get the win."

Valimaki flourished in the new role, playing a season-high 20:43, with half that played on his off side with captain Mark Giordano.

As one of the five lefties currently on the active roster, Valimaki enjoys the uniqueness of playing on his off hand. There are challenges with that, of course, like making plays along the wall at the offensive blueline, or being forced into a backhand pass when breaking the puck out in your own end. But, in his mind, he benefits outweigh the obstacles.

"It's been multiple games now, so it's not a problem anymore," he said.

The opportunity, too great, he adds.

Valimaki knows that being a left-handed shooter in the offensive zone allows him to be more of a threat - a one-time option, perhaps, on the powerplay and otherwise.

"Just make the right reads - and play"

07:08 • 2:40 PM

Ward has encouraged the 22-year-old to "explore" things offensively, and these touches are a fantastic starting point.

"The big thing for us is to get into the zone and be good on the breakout," said Valimaki, who has five helpers but is goalless in 15 games this year. "When there are lanes to shoot, shoot the puck. Just make the right reads and play. I've played the powerplay in my career a lot and there are great guys here to help me with it. Just play, don't think about it too much, and don't make it too complicated."

At even strength, it's about using his best asset - his wheels.

"Just pick your spots when you jump into the rush," Valimaki cautions. "(Our coaches) always talk about how they want four-man rushes, and that's something that all of our D are able to do. They really want us to do that and, obviously, I like that as a player.

"You know, you see a lot of times against you, you're defending a rush and all of a sudden, that fourth man comes in.

"As a D man, if you beat their forwards back, it's usually a pretty good opportunity. It's the small things. Jump into the rush when you can and shoot the puck, be confident, keep pucks alive, try to make plays, and I think that's part of my game and I'm able to play that way."

Valimaki is one of the great stories of the season so far. A few weeks ago, he had a couple of tough outings on the road in Montreal. Truthfully, there was nothing sinister about that little stretch at all. He was the victim of some tough bounces - including a couple that bounced directly off him and into his own net.

In any case, that's long in the rear-view now and Valimaki is playing a calm, composed game that shows poise beyond his years.

"Obviously, if you don't play great or if you make mistakes, it's never fun," he said. "But the biggest thing - and I think I've already gotten a lot better at it in this short time - is to manage mistakes, manage not-the-best games. Because at the end of the day, that's pretty much the most important thing. Nobody's going to play the perfect game. Within a game, if you make a mistake, you kind of have to let it go. If you play a bad game, you've got to be able to let that go, too. Obviously, you've got to be able to learn from your mistakes, but I think it goes the other way, too. If you play a really good game, at the end of the day, you've got to take the good out of it and the you've got to forget it and you've got to play again.

"I'm definitely a guy who is hard on himself, so I'm the first one to beat myself up about it and then move on."

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Valimaki slotted for PP1 duties again tonight.

SEIZING THE OPPORTUNITY
    Valimaki playing more minutes and getting shot to quarterback the No.-1 powerplay unit
    by RYAN DITTRICK @ryandittrick / CalgaryFlames.com
    3:25 PM
    Facebook Share
    Twitter Share
    Link Share
    Email Share

In the growth of a young player, you look for little milestones, evaluate the break-throughs and help create good habits.

Then, gradually, add more to his plate.

Juuso Valimaki is no stranger to quarterbacking a powerplay, munching up minutes, or playing the right side as a left-handed shooter, as former Flame TJ Brodie was famous for doing around these parts.

Doing it at the NHL level, though? That's a vastly new set of responsibilities.

But he's crushing it so far.

"I think I've played some good games and overall, I'm trying to make the most of it," Valimaki said Wednesday after the morning skate at the Scotiabank Saddledome. The Flames wrap up a four-game set with the Vancouver Canucks tonight, and for the second straight outing, the rookie defenceman will start the night as the all-important point man on the No.-1 powerplay unit.

"I'm happy with the opportunity," he smiled. "At the end of the day, I shouldn't think that I should have to change my game, or make too big a deal out of it. It's another game, we're all in it (together), and we'll try to get the win."

Valimaki flourished in the new role, playing a season-high 20:43, with half that played on his off side with captain Mark Giordano.

As one of the five lefties currently on the active roster, Valimaki enjoys the uniqueness of playing on his off hand. There are challenges with that, of course, like making plays along the wall at the offensive blueline, or being forced into a backhand pass when breaking the puck out in your own end. But, in his mind, he benefits outweigh the obstacles.

"It's been multiple games now, so it's not a problem anymore," he said.

The opportunity, too great, he adds.

Valimaki knows that being a left-handed shooter in the offensive zone allows him to be more of a threat - a one-time option, perhaps, on the powerplay and otherwise.

"Just make the right reads - and play"

07:08 • 2:40 PM

Ward has encouraged the 22-year-old to "explore" things offensively, and these touches are a fantastic starting point.

"The big thing for us is to get into the zone and be good on the breakout," said Valimaki, who has five helpers but is goalless in 15 games this year. "When there are lanes to shoot, shoot the puck. Just make the right reads and play. I've played the powerplay in my career a lot and there are great guys here to help me with it. Just play, don't think about it too much, and don't make it too complicated."

At even strength, it's about using his best asset - his wheels.

"Just pick your spots when you jump into the rush," Valimaki cautions. "(Our coaches) always talk about how they want four-man rushes, and that's something that all of our D are able to do. They really want us to do that and, obviously, I like that as a player.

"You know, you see a lot of times against you, you're defending a rush and all of a sudden, that fourth man comes in.

"As a D man, if you beat their forwards back, it's usually a pretty good opportunity. It's the small things. Jump into the rush when you can and shoot the puck, be confident, keep pucks alive, try to make plays, and I think that's part of my game and I'm able to play that way."

Valimaki is one of the great stories of the season so far. A few weeks ago, he had a couple of tough outings on the road in Montreal. Truthfully, there was nothing sinister about that little stretch at all. He was the victim of some tough bounces - including a couple that bounced directly off him and into his own net.

In any case, that's long in the rear-view now and Valimaki is playing a calm, composed game that shows poise beyond his years.

"Obviously, if you don't play great or if you make mistakes, it's never fun," he said. "But the biggest thing - and I think I've already gotten a lot better at it in this short time - is to manage mistakes, manage not-the-best games. Because at the end of the day, that's pretty much the most important thing. Nobody's going to play the perfect game. Within a game, if you make a mistake, you kind of have to let it go. If you play a bad game, you've got to be able to let that go, too. Obviously, you've got to be able to learn from your mistakes, but I think it goes the other way, too. If you play a really good game, at the end of the day, you've got to take the good out of it and the you've got to forget it and you've got to play again.

"I'm definitely a guy who is hard on himself, so I'm the first one to beat myself up about it and then move on."
    Please keep posting to this thread.
    While I'm also keeping close tabs on Valimaki's progression and minutes, I love the additional insight you bring.
    Thanks for this!