Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting training camp notes

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Interesting training camp notes

Another big day for NHL moves.
    12:00pm Eastern. Waiver Claims to be reported. There shouldn't be any new waivers, unless teams have claimed a player and need to shuffle another spot off roster.
    5:00pm Eastern. Teams must have submitted their opening night roster (23max) and their taxi squad roster (4-6max, "Minors/AHL" group).

I wonder if any players will be claimed.
    The one that surprised me most yesterday was Nick Merkley, NJ. I had read several camp report that Merkley has looked solid in camp and that his shot was looking incredible.
    NJ has a new GM and I seriously wonder if he cares less about the assets that another GM brought in for Taylor Hall. I would think with Merkley's age, that somebody will take a shot.

Also curious to see if there is a claim on Tyler Johnson.
    Probably not at his contract hit... but I do wonder if Yzerman (DET) would consider it.
    DET has been testing Robbi Fabbri out at C2.
    I'm not sure if they are sold on development from Rasmussen (2017, 9th overall) or Veleno (2018, 30th overall).
    Of course, Ras/Veleno aren't Yzerman picks... and GMs are often quick to turnover other GMs players.

Filip Zadina & new Yzerman-signee Bobby Ryan look like they could generate offense... but I'm not sure Fabbri is the guy.
    Though Fabbri was one of Yzerman's first trade-ins... so he gets a nice, long leash.

That also said - Yzerman probably doesn't want to do TB any favours... like taking Johnson off their books.
    I'm not sure how the NHL values Johnson these days, but he's probably more of a $3.5m-$4m center... than a $5m guy.

My bet is on Merkley though, if I had to pick a player that will be claimed.
    Possibly even back to Arizona. But if Detroit has #1 overall claim, then I'll say they do it.

Dobber Sports Titan

I hope Kylington gets picked up.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I hope Kylington gets picked up.
    You and me both.
    I'm curious to see whether the Devils, Detroit, or Ottawa make any adds today from the waivers. Each of them could make one or two and have a fairly different look going into week three of the season.
    Filip Chlapik is also one that's flying under the radar and I would be surprised to see go unclaimed. Cheap contract, great D metrics for a young F, and some untapped offence.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Man... I can't wait for 5pm.
    I struggle to decipher team rosters on capfriendly until they have the 23man roster set and players formally on LTIR.
    Looking at the main team list page with 11 teams in red (over cap) just gives me a headache.
    https://www.capfriendly.com/

Dobber Sports Deity

I am finding it interesting that the Leafs still have three goalies in camp and haven't sent Dell through waivers yet. I assume he's going to be on their taxi squad, unless they plan on actually carrying three during the season. If that was the case, they'd have to find another G to put on their taxi squad because rules state there has to be one G there.

Maybe they are waiting to see if NJ claims a goalie off waivers today before placing Dell on there. I dont know if they are just gunshy about putting him on waivers after watching two of their goalies get claimed off waivers last year on the same day.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am finding it interesting that the Leafs still have three goalies in camp and haven't sent Dell through waivers yet. I assume he's going to be on their taxi squad, unless they plan on actually carrying three during the season. If that was the case, they'd have to find another G to put on their taxi squad because rules state there has to be one G there.

Maybe they are waiting to see if NJ claims a goalie off waivers today before placing Dell on there. I dont know if they are just gunshy about putting him on waivers after watching two of their goalies get claimed off waivers last year on the same day.
    I think the Leafs are keeping Dell on the main roster.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I think the Leafs are keeping Dell on the main roster.
    If that's the case, I assume they will promote Hutch to their Taxi Squad then.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

They don't need a goalie on the taxi squad if there are 3 goalies on the NHL roster.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If that's the case, I assume they will promote Hutch to their Taxi Squad then.
    I'd assume they'd have 0 goalies on the taxi squad. You are only required to hold 3 goalies in the NHL+Taxi, so you can have 3 on the NHL roster and 0 on the Taxi squad. Not saying it's the smartest plan, but they might be afraid Dell would get claimed as someone elses 3rd string goalie.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Are you sure you need to have a goalie on taxi squad or you just need to have 3 goalies between main roster and taxi squad? ...what happens if you move goalie from taxi squad up due to injury or illness , you need to put another goalie there? i would think as long as you have 3 goalies total that should be fine.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Deity

Im not 100% sure. I thought you were required to have one goalie on your taxi squad but not sure if you're carrying three on your main roster eliminates that. I'll have to look further into this.

Edit, I think you're right. If they are carrying a 3rd on their roster, they are not required to have one on the taxi squad. I found this info on ESPN:

The availability of goalies became an even more heightened concern for this coming season -- again, with call-ups becoming trickier.

Because of this, the NHL stipulated that teams must carry three goalies this season between their active roster and the taxi squad. If the third goalie is on the taxi squad, he'll be the only taxi squad player required to travel to all of the team's away games.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I've read that it is three among the NHL+Taxi.
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...es-2021-season

Because of this, the NHL stipulated that teams must carry three goalies this season between their active roster and the taxi squad.
    If the third goalie is on the taxi squad, he'll be the only taxi squad player required to travel to all of the team's away games.

I think some teams will carry 3 on their main team if their skaters can be brought up/down waivers-exempt.
    Dell would require waivers.

This likely means that TOR fears losing Dell thru a waivers-demotion more than whichever skaters could be taxi-ed up/down.

Dobber Sports Expert

NHL taxi squads to help teams stay on ice during 2020-21 ...

To keep healthy players in net to let the games go on, teams must have three goaltenders available among the 29 players on their active roster and taxi squads.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I've read that it is three among the NHL+Taxi.
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...es-2021-season

Because of this, the NHL stipulated that teams must carry three goalies this season between their active roster and the taxi squad.
    If the third goalie is on the taxi squad, he'll be the only taxi squad player required to travel to all of the team's away games.

I think some teams will carry 3 on their main team if their skaters can be brought up/down waivers-exempt.
    Dell would require waivers.

This likely means that TOR fears losing Dell thru a waivers-demotion more than whichever skaters could be taxi-ed up/down.
    yeah that makes sense...and im assuming once you get an injury, or covid, if its not long term you dont need to get 4th goalie..if its long term you may have to.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Another thing for people to keep their eyes on this year is the 5pm rule for bringing a Taxi-Squad player up.
    If you are in a pinch for a "man-game"... then you should be hawking twitter/capfriendly at 5:05pm to see if any teams are bringing somebody up from Taxi-Squad.
    Those moves have to be reported by 5pm (assumedly, same time zone as game, but IDK). Most NHL games starting at 7pm, local.

If a Taxi-Squad player is promoted on a game-day, it's possible he's playing in that game that night.
    But the key thing, is that we would know just after 5pm.
    (And also possible... that somebody has COVID! Ruh-Roh)