Thread: How early would you draft goalies in a H2H league with these scoring settings?

Dobber Sports Ace

Question How early would you draft goalies in a H2H league with these scoring settings?

I just got invited to a new money league. It has 12 guys in it, The H2H stats are set up like this:

Forwards/Defensemen Stat Category --- Value

Goals (G) --- 1
    Assists (A) --- 1
    Penalty Minutes (PIM) --- 1
    Powerplay Points (PPP) --- 1
    Shots on Goal (SOG) --- 1
    Hits (HIT) --- 1

Goaltenders Stat Category --- Value

Wins (W) --- 1
    Goals Against (GA) --- 1
    Saves (SV) --- 1
    Shutouts (SHO) --- 1

As you can see, the emphasis on goaltenders is super heavy with only 6 skater categories and 4 goalie categories. Not only that, but none of the goalie categories are percentage based - they're only total values. But the "Goals against" category does count against you if you just try to spam marginal goaltenders into your lineup - you definitely need quality starts.

Lastly, the roster positions are as follows:

C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, Util, G, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR+, IR+

... every position has 2 spots except for goalies, who have 3.

If you're pre-ranking players for the draft in a league format like this, are you putting all the top #1 goalies right at the very top of your list? I'm having a hard time imagining many skaters in this format having more value than guys like Vasilevskiy, Andersen, Binnington, Lehner.

Then, guys like Brady Tkachuk, Evander Kane, Tom Wilson, Blake Coleman, etc would be right up there with the McDavid/Draisaitl types, based on the looks of the skater stats? And guys like Marchand, Ovechkin, and Matthew Tkachuk might be worth even more than McDavid?

Thoughts? I've never been in a league with settings like this. Kinda weird.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Re: How early would you draft goalies in a H2H league with these scoring settings?

Might be unpopular. My league is similar with less G positions. But I'd go Vas.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: How early would you draft goalies in a H2H league with these scoring settings?

I wouldn't take only goalies early, but I would definitely make sure to grab a couple in the first few rounds.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I wouldn't take only goalies early, but I would definitely make sure to grab a couple in the first few rounds.
    Another man of culture I see

The Great One

How many G starts a week are required? I recently completed a 12 team 16 round draft and did not draft a G until round 15. My goal was three halves of decent tandems. I ended up with Sorokin, Driedger, and Oettenger (I had three 16th rd picks). Notable goalies who went undrafted are Murray, Dubnyk, Peterson, Quick, Raanta, Allen, Crawford, Georgiev. We roster three G. Be nimble on the FA wire once things get going too - I plan to be if needed. There is no need to draft goalies early in my opinion.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch