Thread: The toughest keeper decision I have ever had to make (since last year). Keep 10. Cut 2.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default The toughest keeper decision I have ever had to make (since last year). Keep 10. Cut 2.

Looking ahead to the upcoming season I am going to have some difficult decisions to make narrowing this group down to 10 keepers and am looking for some help. I have provided the details of the league as well the players to choose from below. Some farm team players (that are kept for free) are also included to provide additional context. Any discussion or input you guys have would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

12 team H2H Yahoo Keeper League
    Positions: C, C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, F, D, D, D, D, G, G
    Stat Categories: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SHP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Mika Zibanejad
    Artemi Panarin
    Tom Wilson
    Sebastian Aho
    Alexander Ovechkin
    Clayton Keller
    Kevin Fiala
    Roman Josi
    John Klingberg
    Tuukka Rask
    Juuse Saros
    John Gibson

Notable farm team players who could have an impact this season include:

Oskar Lindblom
    Jordan Kyrou
    Quinn Hughes
    Adam Fox
    Filip Hronek
    Marcus Hogberg

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: The toughest keeper decision I have ever had to make (since last year). Keep 10. Cut 2.

I would cut Keller and then one of Saros or Gibson.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: The toughest keeper decision I have ever had to make (since last year). Keep 10. Cut 2.

Quote Originally Posted by manvsamerica View Post
    Stat Categories: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SHP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Mika Zibanejad
    Artemi Panarin

Tom Wilson
    Sebastian Aho
    Alexander Ovechkin

Clayton Keller
    Kevin Fiala
    Roman Josi
    John Klingberg

Tuukka Rask
    Juuse Saros
    John Gibson

Notable farm team players who could have an impact this season include:

Oskar Lindblom
    Jordan Kyrou
    Quinn Hughes
    Adam Fox

Filip Hronek
    Marcus Hogberg
    I like these 9.
    The East is going to be brutal this year.
    Rask/Halak will split starts and wins will be tough to come by.

I'd probably consider Gibson (in a weak West) as my 10th keeper, just so you have a goalie.

With COVID, fights may decline even further.
    I realize the value of a 17 PIM night from Tom Wilson... but I'd rather punt that cat and go strong on the others.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I like these 9.
    The East is going to be brutal this year.
    Rask/Halak will split starts and wins will be tough to come by.

I'd probably consider Gibson (in a weak West) as my 10th keeper, just so you have a goalie.

With COVID, fights may decline even further.
    I realize the value of a 17 PIM night from Tom Wilson... but I'd rather punt that cat and go strong on the others.
    The farm guys are free keepers. So it's keep 10 of the 12 on the first list. At least that's how I understood it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    The farm guys are free keepers. So it's keep 10 of the 12 on the first list. At least that's how I understood it.
    This is correct. I included the players on my farm team in the original post because they are essentially free roster players this upcoming season and their inclusion could influence keeper selections. I wanted everybody to have as much information as possible to make an informed decision. The responses so far are on par with my initial thoughts. Goalies are highly valued in this league and are often early targets in the draft, so I am struggling to determine how many goalies to keep, and which ones.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would be cutting Keller and Saros
    If you really want 3 goalies then drop Fiala or Wilson.

The Great One

I would be cutting Rask and one of Saros or Gibson. The Bruins D is going to be terrible and I just don’t like the situation there with him quitting on the team in the playoffs. Throw a dart on the other two. Saros is playing behind a better team and Gibson is the better goalie. Either way you win a few cats each week. Then draft another goalie.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd cut Keller & a goalie. Unsure which goalie, as I can see reasons to cut all of them.

Rask: likely last year, division is brutal, left in playoffs, but is the best most proven goalie.
    Gibson: team is brutal, but division is weak. Last year had his first bad year, but he's also the only one of these guys to have a bad year in their career by GSAA - that means you have good problems with this choice.
    Saros: least proven, best combination of team & division, youngest.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

I’d cut Rask and Keller