Thread: Help me rank a few elite LW's

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Help me rank a few elite LW's

I'm in an enviable position of having a glut of top tier LW's. League in sig isn't fully updated for current. I need to move one out to get a goalie. Given the goalie market in our league, I'm likely to have to overpay, so I'm trying to "tier" my LW's so that I can evaluate my options. Right now the only goalie I can say I've come close to maybe acquiring is Price, I've been shot down on any ranked higher, so that is likely the range I'm looking at for goalies (ranking between low top 10 to mid teens).

My team is very strong, and the likely favorite next year or two. Trying to find a nice balance to keep my younger guys to keep me relevant longer, but the goalie cost will dictate what I do. Help me rank these guys (My ranking below).

1. Panarin
    2. Aho (also has C eligibility, unclear if/when he loses one or the other)
    3. Ovechkin (best all round in this setup, moving down a bit for age. Unlikely he is part of any trade, his value to me outweighs his market value these days).
    4. Marchand (a little lower due to age)
    5. Landeskog (also has C eligibility)
    6. Hall

The last serious offer I have had was Hall straight up for Price. Seems steep, but something I'm willing to work with.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Help me rank a few elite LW's

Is this an H2H league (ie weekly scoring) or roto (season long)?

The answer to that question huge impacts the right answer, moreso in this case than just about any.

The key distinction is that in roto, you can't punt categories, whereas in h2h you can. If it's H2H, i would look at this league setup and conclude that peripherals are far more important than scoring, as 70% of the scoring categories are peripheral. I'd craft a strategy whereby it was nearly mathematically impossible for you to lose on those (SOG, hit, PIM, BLK, TOI, FOW, TK) in a given week, so all you'd need to do is pick up a single goalie cat and you'd have the win. If that were the case, Panarin and Aho get moved waaay down this list because they don't hit, PIM, block, FOW). I don't have any intuition around Tk, but maybe Panarin shines there?

Anyway, this is a scoring/strategy question more than a player ranking one. So, what's your scoring/strategy?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Before you trade Price for Hall, keep in mind that Hall has reached 60 points 3 times in his carrier...his name his much bigger value than his production...

2 of those years he got to 80 and 93 and if he can get you there again i guess that season is a win but chances are slim and if does it one more time i think thats it for big production.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks guys,

This is a H2H league, daily moves. Your thoughts thus far are in line with my strategy. Last 2 years, I have absolutely dominated both scoring and peripheral categories. I tend to lean toward keeping the high scoring players ranked higher, as it is much more difficult to acquire skill than grit (i.e. why Panarin is still my #1). I have had no issues in the past using my weekly moves (or stashing a couple of high grit minors players in my minors to use) to get the dirty categories. I've also got Crouse, Carrier, Kassian to help out there.

Historically, I try to go for SV/W in the goalie categories and leave GAA/SV% to chance. In the past, between Helle, Bishop (even through an IR stint every year) and MAF, I've done well by that. However, with Bishop likely out until mid-March, MAF a 1B at best, I'm one goalie injury away from being shutout in those. I'll still fair ok more than not, but not exactly something I want to test out. If Helle got hurt in season, I can guarantee nobody would trade me a goalie to bail me out, without the ask being astronomical. Don't want to put myself in a position where my season hinges on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    Before you trade Price for Hall, keep in mind that Hall has reached 60 points 3 times in his carrier...his name his much bigger value than his production...

2 of those years he got to 80 and 93 and if he can get you there again i guess that season is a win but chances are slim and if does it one more time i think thats it for big production.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'd be getting Price.

Dobber Sports Jedi

with the depth you have at LW... I would be most inclined to move Hall vs. the others for a G. Esp. Price. who... entering a season of B2B matchups will likely be top 5 in the league for starts
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Hall ranks 5th or 6th on your list and would have no problem trading him for price

Dobber Sports Superstar

Hall/Landeskog only ones to move for Price.